New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“I expected more than what I received. I was not impressed at all by this place!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baker's Sunset Bay Resort

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

First got there and the representative continued to talk on the phone instead of taking care of
the customers in the lobby. The rooms are not worth the almost $100 per night I paid. I've
paid less in other hotels, and was given more. I was especially surprised at the exceptionally
small tv in the room. I didn't realize we'd get a 19 inch ancient tv, (not flat screen). Also, the
furniture in the room reminds me of a low budget extended stay hotel. It was extremely noisy
on the first floor, which is where I was. They didn't even have ice. You either had to pay for it, or
make your own in thedorm sized fridge that was included in the room. Also, I went into the
bathroom and opened the toilet only to find what looked like a maxi pad in there. Why not check
the rooms first to make sure things like this don't happen. Overall, I'm very disappointed. I would
never recommend someone to come here to celebrate their anniversary! It isn't the place to be.
So what about the amenities! It still isn't worth the money I paid. This puts me in the mind of a
1 star hotel or less. I would have definitely paid much more to go somewhere else more upscale
if I knew this place would be like this.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor by the pool if you want peace and quiet!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tighny38
DawnBaker, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Resort. I'd like to address some of your concerns and complaints.
I'm sorry that you were not given our full attention on your arrival. There was only one person behind the desk when you came in and they were on a reservation call. When this happens, it is our policy to acknowledge the incoming guest and tell them we will be right with them and continue with the reservation, since it doesn't take that long to finish up and the check in process goes very quickly. I'm sorry if this did not happen for you. I apologise if you were not acknowledged right away.
If you had a smaller TV, you must have been in one of the few rooms that has a 24" instead of the 32" flat-screen TV's that are in 95 % of our rooms. I apologise for that. We would have had no problem bringing in a larger TV for you, had you mentioned it to us.
When you complained about the kids running past your room, we had security check it out and keep an eye out for noise. Security found nothing wrong and no noise but we did move you to one of our brand new suites at no additonal charge. (That new suite had 2, 32" flat screen TV's)
We have ice in the office at no charge. There is a large sign that clearly states that the ice is free.
The last thing in your complaint that I wold like to address is the "Maxi Pad" you found in your bathroom. Clearly, this did not happen. You complained so many times through out your stay but never mentioned a maxi pad being left in your bathroom? I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding how you could complain about kids running outside your door but never complained or mentioned that there was a maxi pad left in your bathroom.
We realise that we can not be everything to every guest but we certainly try to make each and every guest happy and comfortable. 99% of our guest comments are positive and they talk about wanting to come back to Sunset Bay.
We know we can't please everyone and clearly, we failed to make you happy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We went in the off season and were nearly the only guests, perhaps 6 other cars in the lodge. The manager was very accommodating. We found this place on a pet-travel website and were able to take our dogs with us! Very important when you have no kids. We only stayed one night, but the room was clean, the rate was right and we had a gorgeous view of the lake from our room (with a balcony).

This place is out of the "hustle and bustle" of the main drag in the Dells, but close enough to all the amenities. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms also had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

This will be a regular stay for us when we travel to Wisconsin every fall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank equusnyder
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Loved being able to take our dog. And there were a lot of them :) Resort okay. My daughter liked the slide at the indoor pool. Beach ping pong was fun. For what it was, it was nice. Close to Noah's Ark too.

Room Tip: Take your dog!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank feelingbeachy
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We loved the new rooms at this resort very clean and modern. Nice resort and off the path of the tourist area if that is what your looking for. We enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Chicago Suburb
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We chose this hotel because it was a pet friendly hotel. It was.We were a bit dissappinted with the housekeeping. If we were going to the Dells again with our pet, we would stay there. If we weren't probally not.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple