3,123 results
All reviews sands building indoor theme park ivory coast ferris wheel great karoo double cut master blaster hut room royal african queen suite brew pub bowling alley water park cookie decorating swim up bar movie theater all ages convention center
Reviewed 27 November 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Kalahari this past weekend with our 3 young children, ages 10, 8, and 2. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves, and our children loved everything from the massive water park to the indoor activities. It is nice that the water park is in one location so that the older children can go off and play without worry. The room was a little outdated but was adequate and clean. However, there were a few downfalls that I feel necessary to mention. 1) I had made our reservation over the phone about a week prior to our stay. Upon check in, we were told that we had a room in the Sands building. I asked why we were not in the main building and was told that there were no lodges in the main building. I asked what a lodge was and was told about the beds and that it had a full kitchen. I explained that we do not need a full kitchen and would like to stay in the main building. The young lady said that we could have a room in the main building but that it would cost the same as a lodge. Due to having a 2 year old, we chose to stay in the main building for convenience. Nothing was mentioned about staying in a lodge room in the Sands building while making our phone reservation, or I would have corrected it then. Instead, we ended up paying a higher rate. 2) We ordered two drinks at the pool bar and asked to charge them to our room. We were told that we would need to increase our card limit at the front desk to do so. I went to the front desk and was told that I would need to bring my photo ID and credit card back in order for them to correct it (even though I had already done this at check-in). I went back to our room and came back only to be told by a different desk clerk that everything was already set up and there was no need. I asked why the pool bar bartender would have sent me back if it was ok, and she didn't know. I went back to the pool bar and a different bartender waited on me and charging to the room worked fine. I don't know what the confusion was, but it wasted probably a good hour of my time. 3) My children and I were in the lobby area when "Santa" came walking in the front doors carrying his costume. He did have a white beard and white hair, but I had to explain to my 8 year old why Santa was dressed in street clothes and went into a room off the lobby to change. Since he is teetering on the edge of believing, this likely pushed him towards not. We stayed at the Kalahari about 6 years ago, and even though we enjoyed it, we had not been back because of the cost. We finally got a chance to return, but the experience was unfortunately not entirely what we were hoping for.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank DulcyWD
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

DulcyWD,

I'm sorry to hear about the miscommunications you experienced leading up to and during your stay. Our reservations team oftentimes tries their best to find the best possible room style for your price. Without specifying the main building, I'm sure they were trying to get you the best deal possible with the information they had. Unfortunately, in this case it was not a pleasant surprise and for that I apologize.

As far as the mixup with the charging privileges, I've passed your review along to our food and beverage management team to use as a coaching opportunity. I sincerely hope this does not leave a lasting impression of our resort and that we're able to see you again someday.

Kassie

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Resort was fun and room was nice too. Employees were nice. Problem was with the conference that was there that weekend-some magic card/pokemon convention. People were dressed (barely) in costumes that were inappropriate for children. Their language was terrible and when asked to stop swearing around the children at the Sweet Shop, they began to swear at us. They told us not to bring kids there! Not a family friendly environment at all. It was uncomfortable and they were obnoxious. I hope that Kalahari considers the appropriateness of the groups they host in the future. I would be hesitant to book here again . A little to much unwanted "education" for our family...

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank TJuidici

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with some of our other guests. We strive to provide a safe and fun environment for guests of all ages and will be looking into this when considering working with this group in the future. As far as your experience, please don't ever hesitate to reach out to our resort staff. They are more than happy to help!

I sincerely hope this doesn't leave a lasting impression of our resort and hope to see you again someday.
Kassie

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I took the family here for 2 nights and we had a blast. The staff was super friendly, the room was clean, the waterpark was awesome and had plenty to do for all of us. The theam park was lots of fun, the kids couldn't get enough of the laser tag. I cant wait to bring the family back again!!

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

I'm confused on why this place would get less than 5 stars from anyone. I'll start with a family of 4. Two boys 14&11.

Sands Building. 1st floor. Lodge Suite. With service dog.

Sands building through skywalk to water park & main area maybe 5-10 depending on how slow you walk.

We drove to the indoor theme park as its all the way on the other side and we did that at night. 2 minute drive if that.

Theme park. Get those unlimited bands. Kids loved all the rides. Also. Arcade card does go far.

Water park is huge. Options for all ages. Which was nice. To see families enjoying themselves.

All restaurants on site are pricey. But. A few had happy hours. And appetizers were pretty cheap.

The java coffee shop in the main part. Half the price as star bucks and twice as good. Those turtle brownies. OMG.

The cleanliness of the place is top notch you will notice people constantly wiping down stuff cleaning. Etc.

Housekeeping was on point. Even though we had a do not disturb sign up. They were in the halls non stop so always got what we needed. White socks worn to and from the laundry area. Not even dirty

The staff. Is amazing. And I can say this as we have traveled to now 25 states. I was amazed on the service here from every point.

There are tons of local places to eat that will even deliver for free. But the lodge suite is perfect if you want to save money and cook.

We traveled from Louisiana and were 10000% satisfied. Kids already asking to go back.

We did wind up leaving a day early. But for no reasons on Kalahari part.

2  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful 3 nite stay very peaceful cozy and comfortable. Spacious rooms. Wonderful people. Variety of restaurant in the area to choose from. And excess to shopping. Plenty of things to participate in good for children.