All reviews other guests the main strip per night attractions curtains pillows
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I've never once left a bad review anywhere, but this motel takes the cake. This is a lengthy review, but I assure you worth the read. After reading the owners counters to all negative reviews, I will not be surprised if he drums up something for mine. I'm originally from the Dells area and most of my family and friends live in the general vicinity. I currently live about an hour away and decided that a Friday night in the Downtown Dells with a couple of my girl friends for my birthday sounded like a good idea and instead of anyone having to drive for those of us who didn't live near, we decided a motel within walking distance would be a perfect.

There were 4 of us that I reserved the room for. I checked into the hotel and all that happened when I did so was the owner thrust a piece of paper and said sign. I was in hurry to get ready for dinner so I wrote down my license and everything as asked for. I also left one of the guests who would be staying in the room's name for an extra key as she wouldn't be joining us for dinner and that way she could get in to start getting ready. We left for dinner and we had a party of 6 for dinner, my sister and 2 friends who weren't staying had joined and after went back to the motel to finish getting ready, and the couple of extra friends tagged along to hang out and chat before we went out. We were not loud, we were not inappropriate. 1 of the friends who wasn't staying out left shortly after joining us in the room. My mom and a cousin and his gf wanted to stop by and wish me a happy birthday but were not going out so stopped briefly at the motel as well to say hi as I'm not around often. At this point the owner of the motel starts yelling at my mom as she goes to knock on our door that there are too many people.

We apologized and those that had stopped by to say hi left, but then the owner called me to the front desk and started yelling at me WITHOUT discussing first that only 4 people registered in the room so only 4 people were allowed on their property. NO VISITORS allowed he kept saying and we were trying to be as polite as possible and suddenly only 1 vehicle was allowed on the property so even the 3 other girls staying had to find parking elsewhere. We agreed without comment, apologized and said we understood as where it might come off as something more than it was with a couple of extra people stopping briefly by. Mind you we are all working professionals ranging from teachers to department directors, etc, and not college aged kids out to get black out drunk. We were just a bunch of ladies who wanted to get together for a ladies night out birthday as they happen few and far between.

So once again we apologized, assured him that those who weren't staying had left and only the 4 staying the night would be there. The owner was very brash and unprofessional, and very combative, even when we were trying to agree and with him. At this point, I went back to the room ready to head out, my mother was waiting in her car to drop us off at the end of the strip since she was heading that way. As we were leaving the owner and his wife were standing in the parking lot glaring at us with their arms crossed.

It left a very uneasy feeling in out stomach. We felt like we had done something wrong when we hadn't done anything inappropriate at all. And we felt completely disrespected for the way we were being treated like we were young houligans. Therefore we turned back and told him we would be leaving at once and checking into the motel across the street, Fitzgeralds. At this point the owners were ridiculous, and refused a refund. We went to the room to grab anything left and ensure the room was the same as we had left it (it was). I even snapped photos and timestamped it as proof because we just did not trust these owners. Sure enough as we were walking out the owner and his wife walk in and snatch keys from us. And then because there were 5 of us (a friend helping us get our luggage out as quickly as possible) they started hollering about that.

We wound up staying across the street without any hassles, and the room was so much larger for only a few dollars more (I highly recommend the Fitzgeralds).

I wish the story ended there, however it doesn't. I disputed the charge on my credit card because of the owner and we did not stay the night. I provided all the documents and photos to my credit card provider as proof for the dispute. Then today I get a voicemail from the owner of motel saying I have an unpaid bill for 18 PEOPLE at the motel and 11 cars. There weren't even 10 people there at all that night, and the room was so little there was no way 18 people could ever even fit into there. It's absolutely ludicrous! I called to talk about the wrongness of this and he starts spouting all kinds of outrageous things! The motel was mostly vacant as the in-season hadn't even hit yet but he claimed people were coming to the front complaining of lack of room to park, which is also untrue and there were never 11 cars parked in their parking lot. He's trying to trump charges and is the most unethical person I have ever had the mispleasure of communicating with. That being said after I got off the phone with him I called the Wisconsin Dells Police Department to report and spoke with an officer. I'm eager to see how the owner spins this around as he has every other bad review.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
22  Thank Tiffany B
Colonial_Motel, Manager at Colonial Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Colonial Motel Response:

The guest checked in at Colonial Motel for a party of 4 people total. During the registration process the guest paid for 4 people and signed the Colonial Motel Guest Registration Policy which was presented to her upon check-in that she signed (not a piece of paper as described). This registration policy is given to all of our guests upon check-in to the motel. After about 2 hours from Check-In about 10 additional people arrived to the cardholder’s room and arrived with multiple cars to the Colonial Motel parking lot that were not registered guests of the motel.

We had several complaints from other guests staying at Colonial Motel that weekend that there was no parking available and where they should park. We went to the guests room and found multiple people using the room that were never originally registered or mentioned by the guest at the time of Check-In. The Manager informed the guest that the room was for only four registered guests and that each room that is reserved receives 1 parking spot on the Colonial Motel parking lot.

The guest argued with the Manager that they are having a birthday party and the additional people are her guests. We then requested that the non-registered guests need to immediately remove their cars from the Colonial Motel parking lot to make room for other guests of the motel so they can park their cars.

The guest ignored our request and only 4 of their cars were removed and the other 6 cars were left on the parking lot. At about 10:30 pm, the same day of Check-In (5/8/2015), one of the guests friends that was not registered to the room returned the key to the office and requested a refund for the room as they wanted an Early Check-Out (Please note that the Cardholder never came to the office to speak with the Colonial Motel Manager). The guest checked in at about 3 pm and used the room until they left which was 10:30 pm.

The guests friend was informed that they needed to pay for the additional persons in the room and that we do not provide refunds for Early Check-out’s and that this is our policy. This policy is clearly stated on the Guest Registration Card that she signed during Check-in and also located on the back of the doors in each of the motel rooms and also on our website.

-Colonial Motel

Reviewed 25 April 2015

The room was clean, but that's about all the good. It started bad when we were under the impression from an older ad that they had wi-fi available. When I inquired shortly after check-in we were RUDELY told by the owner they no longer had it because "no one uses wi-fi anymore" ! Excuse me? He was rude and argumentative from the start. I needed it for some work I was doing and was at least able tp get connected through a neighboring business.

The following morning we woke up to NO HOT WATER. When we told the owner, his only response was "no one else complained - just run it awhile" When we told him we had tried for 15 minutes he just shrugged ignored us. The following morning we had the same issue for about 30 minutes before we finally got the hot water to work.

The owner needs to move on to something other than working with people.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
11  Thank Eric O

Colonial Motel Response:

We do not understand the customers complaint. We have do not have WIFI available and also our website does not state that we have WIFI. The customer never came to the office to talk with the manager and was even told by one of our workers outside that we did not offer WIFI. In addition, we had no other customers complain about the hot water during their visit during that time period.

-Colonial Motel

Reviewed 14 December 2014 via mobile

Rooms are fairly large for such an inexpensive motel. Parking by your room, quiet and you can walk to the strip from here. I have been here several times now. You also get great coupons from the front desk

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, recently stayed here. (Aug. 27~29) We were looking for a cheap, clean place to stay right downtown. This place was perfect! The owners were friendly. Reservations were easy to make. We will definitely be staying here again.

Date of stay: August 2014
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Absolutley the best budget motel we ever been to, the best I ever remember. The pool was clean and slightly heated (more heat would have been nice). A Nice quiet sleep, a problem with many budget motels, often due to air conditioner turning on and off. Here it was always on, which I liked. But it was hard finding out how to turn the AC on, as there was a wall switch by the bathroom. The sleep would have been better with dark blinds rather than white, but that's ok. It was a small room and bathroom, but as I said it is a budget motel, but it was clean. They offer no shampoo, but I knew this from reviews. The shower was nice and strong and no running out of hot water, which happens often at other budget motels. The bathroom seemed to have a fan and heater, but found no switch to turn them on. Location, location, location! This motel is on the strip, main street. Awesome, though at the end of the strip. But since the strip is only about 5-6 blocks, it was fine to be on the end, but to be on it at all was great!

Room tip: If you want a bit more quiet ask for a room not by the pool and in the back, but even so it was fine. Bring your own shampoo.
Date of stay: August 2014