“#1 for a reason.”

Fanatico
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Whitewater
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Reviewed 4 October 2018

We were in the area for an overnight and checked for the #1 restaurant; Fanatico showed up.

Whitewater is a boutique-town that seems sorta locked in the middle between burgeoning college-scene and small-town Wisconsin. To us, that meant "anything could happen" at Fanatico.

Shortly, Fanatico is #1 because it's really great!

Our service was a college student who clearly enjoyed his work—he recommended pasta from the very-Italian (what do you expect from a name like "Fantastico"?) inspired menu.

Our appetizer of bruschetta was truly good (no reliance on balsamic glaze)...but our pasta dish (vodka chicken) was standout great.

The vibe is small-town; the decor is nice (but not particularly memorable), the restaurant itself is not terribly big...if the city has an event, I bet it fills up quickly.

But, if I lived in WW, Fantastico would be a place that I'd claim as a regular spot and just never question it.

Only complaint is that the wine list was thin - but then again, it'd be more remarkable if it was truly awesome).

If we ever return to WW, Fantastico is #1 because, after our three days in the area (and eating in WW), it's #1.

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Food is outstanding! Bailey treated us so well. Homemade cheesecake was best we ever had. Owners are there and make sure your taken care of when we go. Do not miss Fanatico if you are in the area.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Had occasion to take a group of friends to dinner tonight at this wonderful place. We were not disappointed, to say the least.
This was my second time here (the first time was great), and they nailed it. AGAIN.
Positives (and there were a lot of them): Drinks properly made and served promptly. We had the bruschetta appetizer and it was terrific. (With any raw tomato dish it's all about the quality of the fruit. They apparently have a wonderful source for their tomatoes) They bring out warm breadsticks with the soup and salad course, and they have their own infused olive oil for dipping. Simple and delicious. The comments from the table were that the side salads and dressings were very tasty. A couple of us had the daily soup special (tomato couscous). Good Lord, how could something so simple be so good. I mean...one of the best soups I have ever had! Perfect tweener course from the appetizer and the main course. If they offer it when you visit, you have GOT to try this. (Again...do they buy tomatoes with crack in them?)
The main courses: There were three different (four if you count my lasagna) red sauces at our table; puttanesca, arrabiata, thickish marinara. All great. My guest who had the vodka sauced chicken pasta really liked it. My lasagna was not "typical" 7 layer "heart attack on a plate" lasagna. It was a smaller, thinner version, but was packed with flavor.
Desserts: We sampled a few. The Limoncello cake and tiramisu were phenomenal. The chocolate lava cake very good.
Our server was very personable, attentive (without being overly so), and her timing was good. In fairness, we were there on a weeknight, so it was not packed as I expect it is on weekends. Pacing was a little quick. But overall wonderful service.
One additional thing to mention: Their pricing for food of this quality is remarkable. Very fair.
I will look for any excuse I can to visit this wonderful restaurant the next time I'm in beautiful Whitewater.
This place is a real gem! Cheers!

Reviewed 5 August 2018

We ate at Fanatico with a large group recently. Although the place was packed to bursting, service was incredible, food was delicious and hot and we had a wonderful time. The menu is somewhat limited but offer sufficient variety for anyone to satisfy their tastes for Italian food.

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We were in Whitewater for our son’s football camp and wanted to buy him dinner. We noticed this restaurant on Trip Advisor with some of the highest scores we’ve ever seen and made a reservation. It lived up to the hype. Everything was amazing, from the olive oil and bread to the unique and delicious wedge salad to the chicken and eggplant dishes to the perfect tiramisu. This is one of the best Italian restaurants we’ve been to anywhere including NYC.