“Cute place with very good food”
Review of The Braising Pan

The Braising Pan
Ranked #3 of 106 Restaurants in West Bend
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I live nearby but had never tried this place so we stopped for dinner on a Thursday. It was early evening and very quiet, only two other tables with diners. We ordered brandy old fashioned sours which were well made. I had the walleye which was a nice big filet, perfectly cooked, along with real mashed potatoes and some red cabbage. My wife had the jaeger schnitzel along with spaetzle and she really liked it. We both thought the red cabbage was so-so, a bit mushy. Nice fresh salads. Cute decor, but they have a couple chandeliers with burned out bulbs. Very good service.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This was a small restaurant so reservations are a must especially on Friday nights. We chose the restaurant because of the variety of fish dishes served. The service was quick and very pleasant.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

We made reservations about 1 week in advance for a party of 10. My in-laws scheduled family portraits in the am to be followed by a nice lunch after. We were all dressed up and arrived at the restaurant. We were told by the host that because they got busy, they would only be able to seat us outside. Having no other option, we were forced to agree. We were taken to a set of three tables pushed together. There was only one umbrella for the 3 tables. The umbrella only created shade for half of one table. It was a hot day (85 degrees and sunny). Most of our party tried to squeeze down to one end to get some of the shade since we had small children and senior citizens with us. The waitress came out and sharply told us that we would not be able to stay seated in this fashion, once the food came. We asked to have another umbrella added to the other two tables and was told they didn't have any more. The waitress and hostess did nothing to fix the situation. We were expected to just deal with their problem. We attempted to move the table to make more shade and the waitress told us that we could not and that it is a liability to the restaurant if we did, but then she did nothing to help us either. Everyone was just sweating and the senior citizens in the group were really uncomfortable. Since only 2 of the 10 in the group would have shade when the food arrived, we decided to leave. All the ladies in the group were in dresses, not clothes to be baking in the sun. We made the reservations to make this a relaxing and enjoyable meal. As we were leaving, we let the host know that we were leaving due to hot conditions outside and he unsympathetically said only one word, "sorry" and let us walk out. Wow...we dine out a lot, have never seen such terrible customer service. Doesn't pay to make reservation here, it doesn't save you a table inside. I'm a pretty generous reviewer, do not give many 1 stars. This was incredibly disappointing!

Heather F, Owner at The Braising Pan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Hi there,
I am the owner of the establishment and I was made aware of the situation that occurred this past weekend morning- that evening. I am very disappointed to hear how the situation was handled. The host had informed me he had tried to call the number provided to alert your party prior to your arrival, that we were running behind with reservations, and could not reach anyone. The reservation previous to yours, was an incomplete party, and insisted on sitting. They allowed them to, however it put all of our reservations behind 45 minutes due to the remainder of their party showing up late. The only tables left were unfortunately the ones outside. The umbrellas are larger than the tables- so putting them next to each other is not a possibility- and we have had the 100 lb. table weights tip- so it does take two strong people to safely move them. I am very sorry how things were not explained to you upon your arrival. I have discussed with our manager (who I believe you spoke with via phone) and my husband, that we need to revisit our reservation policy so this never happens again. Late and incomplete reservations put the whole dining room behind, just like at a doctor's office running your appointment late. Our host would not have run after you though as it may be perceived as confrontational, and I do not want non managerial staff in that position. However, it is never okay to not explain and see what can be done to please our guests. Again I am very sorry about your experience and if you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to call me directly at 262-334-9668. Thank You for your review and your time, and I look forward to hearing from you to see if there is something I can do to make this right. Heather Ford

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Looking for German style breakfast, this is the place! Everything we ordered for breakfast was excellent...and the service was top notch, including the cucumber slices in the water glass!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Good food always and friendly service. Specializes in German food along with American favorites too.

Heather F, Owner at The Braising Pan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Thank you for your great review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your last experience and hope to see you again very soon!