“Limited menu but the salad was good”
Review of Athens Grill

Athens Grill
Ranked #16 of 32 Restaurants in Waunakee
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Decided to try this place last weekend. We ordered an eggplant pita, Mediterranean Grain Salad, spanakopita, kid's mac & cheese, tea and baklava.
The food: overall the menu is rather limited. I did expect more options maybe there will be more in the future. By far the salad had the most flavor and was the best. I would order that again. The eggplant pita was OK but really nothing to write home about. I did not like the spanokopita. It was too soggy and had a bit too much dill for my taste. My husband, however, liked it. The kid's mac & cheese was a bust. The cheddar was too sharp and the addition of the Gouda sent my kid over the edge. Since she doesn't eat burgers or chicken or fish, there isn't anything there for her to eat. The baklava was disappointing. It appeared not to be made on-site as it did not taste fresh. It was very compacted and there wasn't enough honey or rose water or flavor for that matter. I wouldn't order that again.
The service: was ok. There was confusion with our order especially with the drinks. I'm not sure if the cashier didn't understand us or if they were short of help. Regardless, there are improvements to be made there.
The ambience: the colors are very bright and the over-all feeling is very welcoming but the room is very loud.
I would go again but I wouldn't take my kids and I would order the salad.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We went to the new Athen's Grill early on a Friday evening. My husband was hungry for one of their delicious gryos, and so we went even though I wasn't. I ordered a Mediterranean Salad ($7) and I think that might be my menu "go to" item from now on! It may be one of the best salads I've ever had. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but this salad of kale, bulgar, butternut squash, and chickpeas was delicious and so filling...enough for two meals for me. While you have to order at the counter, the young, courteous staff bring your meal to the table. It's casual, but a very tasty place for family or friends to eat economically.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

The new Athens Grill replaces the gyros stand in the Shell station and the food truck that was parked out back of the station. The restaurant is modern, with a small service bar that has several stools for drinks and eating at the bar if that is your thing. The menu and food service is still a walk up service counter with pagers for letting you know your food is ready. Nice tap selection and of course excellent gyros. Classic $7 with fries add $2.

Date of visit: February 2018

Been to Athens Grill? Share your experiences!