“A new tradition”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Woodbury, Minnesota
“A new tradition”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I was very sceptical about this resort based off of other comments but was blown away the moment I arrived. Great people and a very friendly family owned Inn. We stayed here for four nights and enjoyed every night more and more. This place was quite, peacfull and right on the water. They love dogs and was a huge resaon we chose to stay here becuse we wanted to bring our dog with. It is a few miles from great towns like Egg harbor and Fish creek. We loved heading up to these busy towns but coming back to our resort it was fantatsic to get out of the busy towns and have some peace and relaxation. They also own a sister resort a few miles awy that has great night life with live music and good amosphere. We will be back every forth of July from here on out. Door county has so much to offer and I'm sad that I had to find it after 28 years of living not sooner.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RMurray0001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I had read some bad reviews and was worried until we arrrived at Snug Harbor. It was a pleasant surprise. I would agree that it could use some updating, but just some cosmetic things. The rates are very reasonable. Snug Harbor is in a great location and the views are wonderful.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. The cleaning staff did a great job of keeping our suite clean.

We stayed in Suite 202 and loved the room. The suite was tastefully decorated and includes a full kitchen. There are sunny skylights, a fireplace you can see from the living room and bedroom, and a huge whirlpool with view of the bay. There is a loft upstairs with a double bed and two decks overlooking the bay.

You can rent boats there; have a picnic in the backyard, sit around a campfire at night, or just enjoy the view from your deck.

We will be back;.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debra U
Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed our stay. The upstairs suite was large, well appointed, clean and had wonderful views of the water. There was an issue with the heat when we arrived, but after a phone call to the office and 15 minutes later, the owners fixed the problem. Their rates fall right in line with similar places in the area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tripster_From_WI
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The pictures online, are a bit deceiving. The place is a bit run down which I will chalk up to rustic. We were in 202. In the first hour, we had turned off the air conditioning and put the heater on which caused dripping from the ceiling vent. We were told this happens a lot - then fix it right. There were stains on the carpet when we first got there. After dinner, we came back and the dripping was fixed as were the stains (which I hadn't mentioned) but they left the dirty wet rag as well as the bucket still where the drip was. For three days the bucket stayed in the same spot! Mostly clean, had paper thin walls. Need to spend a few thousand to update appliances, put outlet covers on, etc.The bed was like a board as were the pillows and the people next door had the whirlpool going at 11:45 and it is like a freight train. I will step it up next time and pay a little more for an updated place. We couldn't sleep well. Great view of the harbor though!!

Note: if you like rustic, this place is for you. And my husband said it looked like you could put your boat right in the slips there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Briefly, there were some positives. We chose Snug Harbor because we have a dog and there are few places that will allow dog in Door County and because we booked the day before and almost every place that allowed dogs was booked before we got to it. I had found another place (Shallows in Egg Harbor) that we booked for one day but then we needed another day prior. (Make sure you read to the end to hear the BIG negative).

First off, the Snug Harbor desk clerk allowed us to check in two hours early, which was great. We rented a cottage away from the motel on Bay Shore Drive in Sturgeon Bay. I love Bay Shore Drive and stayed at cottages many years growing up so I was pretty excited about the prospect of a cottage on the water. When we arrived, I was slightly deflated. We had the "Midship" cottage which was really, really, small and really, really, run down. The carpets were vacuumed but badly stained and I thought to myself, "The room is so small you could recarpet the place for $200 max. Better yet, for a dog-friendly place, put down some tiles and use rugs if need be. However, the bay view was awesome and the lake off the pier (we had to use the next door neighbor's pier because ours was collapsed and sitting broken in the water) was all sand so we were able to swim and enjoy the water. However, there was so much algae washed up on shore that the smell was a bit overpowering.

Inside, there was a fireplace and the bed linens were cute, but other than that, not much to write home about. There was also a firepit outside. When we arrived, there was no t.v. Concerned that the people before us had stolen the t.v. we immediately called the motel and they brought out a t.v. in a very short period of time.

However, I have one MAJOR complaint about this place. My dog got fleas from sitting on the floor. We made sure we kept him off the bed and made him sleep in the living room. The next day we had moved on to the next place and as we were walking in the door, I noticed a flea on his neck. I checked him over and found no more at that time, but the next morning (this morning that I'm writing this) I was rubbing his belly and saw many black spots and thought, "Please no!" Sure enough, my husband and I pulled off at least 15 fleas before we checked out this morning. Then we found more in the car as we looked him over. After getting home, we immediately gave him a flea soap bath adn I found 15 more in the tub. Then after we got him out, I gave him a dose of Advantix and STILL I've been finding dead and alive ones on him all day and night. I've washed our linens and will have to bomb our house tomorrow. That will mean washing everything: bed linens again, clothes, dishes, and shampooing the carpets, not to mention, taking the dog and cat out of the house and staying away for at least four hours. I'm sure some of you are thinking that he had them already but I give him a bath monthly and he gets a dose of Advantix the day before he gets his bath. I didn't notice any scratching prior to our trip, so I highly doubt he had them before. I am so mad and it really ruined a nice weekend knowing all the work I will have to do now to get rid of any more fleas. The cost of the cottage was $135 + $10 for the dog. I think they should be paying me because now I have to do all this work and pay for two flea bombs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

26.3 km away
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Snug Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!