“The fun of sharing great food and "family fun" inDoor County--kids and more!”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #8 of 39 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Swedish pancakes with lingonberry sauce and swedish meatballs on the side --delicious! We enjoyed the families and children creating a noisy breakfast atmosphere--don't go here if you want an "intimate" experience. However, if you want to experience a "very large family" atmosphere--it's wonderful! We go back every year even though we are now past 70!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed 25 August 2017

I love those goats on the roof but I was reluctant to come here and dine. I see tour buses. I see lots of people. I see a gift-shop. Oy. But it is really lovely and the items in the gift shop called out to me. I did some serious shopping there. Restaurant is clean. Service is excellent. Food well above-average. My breakfast was delicious and so tasty that we went back for lunch the next day. Also a great experience. I must say that I give this place 2 thumbs up. Give it a try!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

walked in to have a cup of coffee with my family, and ended up spending about $100 dollars. Waiting was terrible, may be because we just asked for coffee only.
Any way we had a birthday celebrant asked the hostess for a birthday cake with a candle on it.
the waiter came and really dumped a piece of cake on the table and walked away.
Totally disappointed, will never return to this place.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Thirty years later the food and ambiance as delightful as ever. Couldn't resist pictures of GOATS on THE ROOF! Especially enjoyed the Swedish pancakes. Service excellent. Butik has lovely Nordic items and especially nice sweaters. Would certainly come again, hopefully in fewer than another 30 years.

GoatsOnTheRoof, Manager at Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

We hope you'll be back sooner than 30 years as well! Thanks for the nice review...we are glad we've met your expectations all these years later!

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

As many have said, this place is synonymous with Door County. Have been coming here since I was little. Going solo, you won't have to wait, even during breakfast rush in on a weekend in the summer. Tip: they will announce the number of open counter seats so a group can sit together with no waiting. Don't forget to check out the gift shop and look for goats on the roof!