“Great place for an outdoor wedding”

Holiday Acres Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rhinelander
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

I loved Holiday Acres and it was the best place to have my wedding!!! Everyone was there to help me and make sure it was great from the receptionists to the maintenance crew to even the owners, everyone came out to make sure it was perfect! I would have given Holiday Acres a 5 but we had a bad experience with one of the bartenders Gabriel. She was rude to me and my guests during my reception. I would not recommend her ever bartending any functions. However, once I mentioned something to another worker who was working so hard to help out any way she could, everything changed. Gabriel's attitude to my guests completely changed which I truly appreciated. This should not detour you from this resort. I highly recommend Holiday Acres for anyone's upcoming wedding!!! Please see Kileigh and Gladys because they were amazing!!!! Thank you!!!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2016

Dear Kelsey K,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your wedding! Our staff cares a lot about pleasing our guests and your good words have been shared with them. Thank you for celebrating your very special days with us. It is an honor that we do not take lightly.

Kari Z.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

As first time visitors we were excited to stay at HA. We're book a 2b cabin for a five member family. On the positive side we found the surroundings great with lots to do for the kids. The beach was great and the hodag hunt also. The kids fished a lot and caught small fish. We enjoyed the bar, the cookout with music and getting a latte in the coffee shop on mornings. Had a motor put on the boat since we wanted to sail to Hodag island for camping. Went riding at nearby stables which was a great experience for the kids. Staff was always friendly and helpful.

What we missed was a clean cabin. Tub was filthy, clogged with hair. Carpet stained and dirty, bed sheets stained with holes and outdated. Fan didn't work when we needed it one evening. Considering the price of the cabin you would expect more.
We enjoyed the pool all though it wasn't clean and had several lightbulbs that needed to be changed. Didn't see any staff members vacuum the pool once even though it was pretty full of sand. Wifi didn't work unless you were in the restaurant (which seems odd considering the free advertising you get when people check in and upload pics to social media)

Overall a great location but a place that needs a serious update.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Henriette Bjerr... E
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2016

So glad to hear that your family enjoyed the resort and the activities. Thank you for letting us know that the cottage you stayed in needed maintenance and deep cleaning. Our housekeeper does rounds on Sunday mornings in the summertime to check on cleanliness and things that are needed. Unfortunately, she must not have spoken with you. My sincere apologies that the cottage was not up to our standards or yours. We do appreciate your taking the time to let us know about it. Best regards, Kari Z.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Another summer and another unforgettable trip to Holiday Acres. What a privilege to escape from the fast pace world and search for pinecones and wildlife with your kids. Our cabin was spotless and equipped with everything we could need and more. All nine of us fit very comfortably in our three bedroom and the rowboat included with our cabin was put to great use! The grounds are breathtaking and safe, letting our kids just enjoy being outdoors. Speaking of safe, the lake is the perfect depth for kiddos and NO WEEDS!!! Yippee!! The staff goes above and beyond to make everyone feel welcome and we loved doing the scavenger hunt, and the hodag hunt is an absolute must! Our kids were exhausted and full of fresh air and we will always be anxiously awaiting our next journey to the north.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2016

Thank you so much, Lindsey34, for your five star review. Our family and the crew work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy themselves and the description of your stay put smiles on our faces. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience and look forward to welcoming you and your family again.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

I truly hate giving one star reviews, and I rarely do. Actually I never have. I wanted to make a reservation to stay there for a wedding. Poor process and rude old lady, Gladys, on the phone completely made me not want to even stay there. Was not quick to give information until after the process. She kept telling me to hold on and was sighing like she was doing me a favor to make me a reservation. Would not recommend based on this experience alone. I tend to only give positive ratings but I thought I would make the public aware. Bad before it even began. I have a degree in hotel and restaurant management, my family is in the business and I've been around it my whole life, and all I can say is this lady definitely needs some training or needs to retire out of the business.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank mdhecimovich

I'm very sorry to hear about your unhappy conversation when calling for a reservation. It's hard to know what may have been happening at the time you called, but it was likely a challenging day and that came across to you as it should not have. My sincere apologies.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

I came to Holiday Acres over 50 years ago with my parents and sisters so when I saw the reviews upon a visit with my husband to Rhinelander, I was excited to return to a place I remembered fondly. I selected a "King bedroom with spa". Assuming we would have a luxurious bathroom off our bedroom. We were surprised to find that the "spa" was a jacuzzi tub IN our bedroom. And there was nothing spa-like about our outdated bathroom with cheap toilet paper, ivory-style soap and no shampoo. The carpeting in the hallways were stained and frayed. I walked through the coffee shop which was not open, but smelled stale. And I almost forgot to add that the floors are so thin that every step of the people above us or creak of their bed could be heard in our room.

The place is not unclean, the bed was comfortable enough, the dining room was adequate, and the service was friendly. But for $173 I would expect better. I should have left the Holiday Acres of my childhood as a fond memory. We left as quickly as we could, and ate breakfasr at the Dinky Diner in Rhinelander- a little gem in the rough.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nanaann0118
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Dear nanaann0118,
We are glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly, your bed comfortable and your room to be clean. Our website does show a photo of our whirlpool room with the whirlpool in the room. The last thing that we want to do is disappoint our guests and having accurate information and photographs online is a big part of it.

Holiday Acres is not just about our buildings, but the lake, the trails and the outdoor activity on 1000 acres of woods and water. With your evening arrival and early departure, you would not have had an opportunity to experience an important part of who we are. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. -Kari Z.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinelander
8.5 km away
8.6 km away
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#6 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!