“Special Occasion Restaurant”

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

The last time I was here was about thirteen years ago and I haven’t gone back until recently because I live out of state. Wanting to show my husband the better side of Milwaukee, I decided on Sanford Restaurant. Nothing much has changed: this is same quiet, calm, mannerly place. I called about ten days in advance for a reservation and could only get a reservation at 5:45 pm or 9ish. So be warned that you have to make an advanced reservation. We followed our server’s recommendations and were very pleased. The whole two hours was a taster’s delight. Service was flawless. The menu is very seasonal so I won’t describe individual dishes. Note that people dress up at this restaurant. Many men in suits and women in pretty dresses.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

My wife and I have eaten here several times over the years, as a couple for birthdays and anniversaries, with family for celebrations, and with out of town colleagues who thought Milwaukee was just some pathetic place to fly over between the coasts. The food is always delicious, presentation elegant, staff quietly attentive. Remarkably unpretentious for such an expensive place.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Menu, service, décor, prices -- Sanford continues to be the top in all these categories in WI. Wonderful drink and wine options for every palate, imaginative dishes perfectly plated for presentation, new flavors as well as the standbys; knowledgeable, unobtrusive and friendly servers; a serene and simultaneously gorgeous interior makes the diner believe she's not in WI anymore; and, equally important, an end-of-dining check that is reasonable. But for the desire to try other places, I'd eat nowhere else.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Best deli in town! We visit monthly for a stocking of deli meats, cheeses and some take home pasta. Meatballs are the best I ever had.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

It was a small celebration which was both home-grown and elegant. One in our group had an issue with milk & butter & they took the time to explicitly suggest alternatives to the menu, from appetizers & main entrees to the desserts. We also each ordered desserts (when we ordered the appetizers, as they are all made from scratch after being ordered) and were all extremely pleased with the variety and high quality of each.