“Second visit was a bit lacking”
Review of The Eatery - CLOSED

The Eatery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was my second time at The Eatery and I came back based on a great experience the first time around. First time I was here, my friends and I had breakfast and it was outstanding, creative, made fresh and with love.

This time around, we came out for a quick bite to eat before heading out to friend's birthday party. It was 4 of us and the place was pretty empty so we figured the service would be quick too. Our server was a bit flustered and kept running in and out asking cooks questions about items on the menu we wanted to order and finding out whether they could substitute things or made modifications (ex. no onions, baked potato instead of french fries). Anyways, afrer good amount of time spent on squearing away our order, we finally received our meals. My friends had different sandwiches all of which looked good and they seemed to enjoy them. Two of my friends had some hair on their plates (looked like pet hair). They're not real fussy so they just picjed them out and continued eating (the hair didn't touch their food)

I, on the other hand, rememered seeing a picture on their Facebook page which had a pork belly featured on it and it looked fabulous. So that's what I went with.
Let me tell you something, don't be fulled by the size of this baby. It's listed under appetizer and comes on a bed of wild rice with caramelized onions. This thing was devine and probably has about 2,000 calories in it, but that's not the point. The point is the amazing flavor. It was cooked to perfection and not ridiculously fatty. There was plenty of meat on it and it was really crispy on the outside. The rice had a really unique smoky flavor to it and I really enjoyed the dish.

I would definitely come back here again, but now I know the service can be hit or miss at this place.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our breakfast at the Eatery. The place was empty when we arrived late morning so we were a littler worried but the food measured up. The menu has some different choices which I always like to look for including housemade duck sausage. I had deep fried bread pudding with wil berries. It was basically dessert for breakfast, not too wavy despite what you might think and it came to the table piping hot. My hubby had a breakfast bagel with eggs, duck sausage and cream cheese which was good too and also piping hot. Coffee was good enough that he took some to go. Staff was friendly and pleasant. Would like to try it for lunch or dinner sometime.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

My husband and I had dinner at The Eatery last weekend, had never been there before. The food was really good (recommend the French onion soup) and the service was outstanding. Our waitress actually took the cost of the soup off our bill because it took longer than she thought it should (we didn't think it had been that long and had not complained). Very impressive. Also, they have a parking lot, and on the east side, that's really a plus. We'll definitely go back.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stopped in for breakfast at The Eatery yesterday morning and had no idea what a great find I had come upon! First of all the place has a wonderful decor, warm, inviting dark wood and an eclectic combination of artwork, photos, and other items arranged in unique and interesting ways. Everything was bright and clean and, there are real cloth tablecloths and napkins at every table.
Then came the menu....there were so many excellent selections, I had a hard time deciding-and this was for breakfast!There were a great variety of breakfast plates and sides to choose from. I can only imagine what delights await for lunch and/or dinner. I settled on the tried and true...eggs, breakfast potatoes, ham and toast. I know it may sound strange, but they made that otherwise ordinary breakfast delicious. The potatoes were wonderfully crisp, the eggs fresh, and the pulled ham was awesome! I asked for hot sauce and received a choice of three varieties. Add to this friendly and prompt service, great coffee, and you have an ideal place to come for breakfast, alone as I was, or with friends. The bar is beautiful and fully stocked--they have amazing food and drink specials every day as well. I will definitely be back for dinner and drinks with my husband, but I wanted to quickly spread the word about this great little spot only blocks from my house. They have a large parking lot--something rare for the East Side, so if you're looking for a treat, a trip to The Eatery is the place to go. I highly recommend it and will return soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Had a surprise birthday to go to here last weekend and I really loved the food and the vegan options they had for some of my vegan/vegetarian family members!

Another great plus was the outside seating and the wide array of great local beers they had!

Great place all around with nice staff and a great location!