“Best recommendation ever!”
Review of The Diplomat

The Diplomat
Reserve with OpenTable
The Diplomat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #330 of 1,671 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Description: Located on the west end of Brady Street of Milwaukee's Lower East Side, The Diplomat brings approachable American fare in a shareable plate format. Join Chef Dane Baldwin and his team for a night of food, fun, and cocktails at this new neighborhood establishment.
Reviewed 20 September 2018

We are visiting Milwaukee and the one restaurant name that has been recommended multiple times is The Diplomat. We finally made it there this evening and what a wonderful experience! The service Omar gave can only be described as exceptional (and I rarely if ever use that word!) He recommended a great combination of small plates each one absolutely perfect and the presentation was incredible. Beautiful deserts followed and we typically skip desert but we knew this would be special...they did not disappoint. If I could I would give The Diplomat 10 stars!

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Wow. I am amazed! I love your steak and fries and your new food! My children love the kiddie cocktails! And I love the desserts too. So good!

Reviewed 14 August 2018

The Diplomat's menu changes often. They serve small plates that are shareable. I've been to a couple restaurants where you share plates, but these really varied in size—we got a fresh vegetable plate that had literally just a couple slices of veggies on it. I got a pasta with meat that was bigger, thank goodness, and we got two other dishes. The atmosphere was lovely, and the wait staff was very attentive and helpful.

My boyfriend really liked his spinach pie, and I have no complaints about the quality of the food in of itself. My complaint would be that the dishes really add up in price, but that they weren't that fancy—I would expect small dishes of this price range to be a little more sophisticated, whereas my fancily named pasta really was just a small bowl of spaghetti bolognese. My cocktail was interesting sounding, but tasted very artificial. I think I would go there for a fancy drink and small meal rather than for a full dinner, but I would go back.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

Turn down the music so I can taste the food! We were 4 people who wanted to talk and dine in a leisurely manner but the music was too loud and distracting. Our waiter was outstanding in explaining all the features and drinks on the menu. All the items we tried were interesting and tasty. Service was superb with very good food. Find some decent dining music and turn down the volume!

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We tried The Diplomat for the first time yesterday, and it was truly outstanding. My wife and I shared the mushroom soup (a savory mushroom broth with fresh vegetables), the chicken thigh (deboned and braised to perfection), trout (beautifully prepared with crisp brusell sprouts) and the very tender and tasty spare ribs; then a lemon meringue tart for dessert (perfectly prepared pastry crust with zesty lemon and the best meringue I can recall). Chef Dane and his wife Anne were very welcoming and sociable, and rightly proud of the ambiance and experience they have created on Brady Street. We will definitely return, often.

1  Thank Jorgestrees1