“Clean, but overpriced”

Ranked #44 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Clean, but overpriced”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Due to weather, we were stranded in Milwaukee for one night and this was the closest hotel to the airport that had an available room. We booked a regular room with a queen-sized bed for $140. For that price, I was expecting a whole lot more than we got, but we didn't really have much choice.

The room was very basic, clean and comfortable. We reserved a crib for our infant son, which was the standard pack 'n play type portable crib - it didn't come with the bassinet attachment, but did its job just fine.

The bathroom was also on the small side, and the tub did drain very slowly, but we didn’t bother calling down about it. Toiletries were nothing to write home about.

I was surprised to find that there was a miniature fridge and a small microwave in our room in addition to the regular little coffee maker, so that was kind of nice to have.

We did visit the pool, which was in a nice little atrium that unfortunately looks out to the parking lot. Despite that, the pool area was really nice and the water was warm.

My favorite part of our stay was Sunday brunch. At check-in, we received two $6.50 vouchers to use at breakfast in the downstairs restaurant. It was a very nice brunch spread, including an omelet bar, and pancakes and French toast made to order. The food was good and the service was excellent.

All in all, not worth $140, but if you need a clean place to stay that is less than 5 minutes from the airport, you’ve got it here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We arrived at the Mke Airport Cllarion on Aug. 17th. Due to severe allergies I always check pillows for feathers. After finding 2 of 5 pillows with down contents, even some feathers sticking our of l pillow case, I called the desk and the clerk said that there were NO FEATHER PILLOWS IN THE ENTIRE HOTEL. I then took the offending pillows to the desk and showed them to the lady there. At that time a man came out and handed me two non feather pillows. Later my wife was suffering a terrible sinus headache and when she went to take a shower found water 2-3 inches deep in the tub, with a lot of black debris in bottom of tub. The desk said no plumbers on duty. They could bring a plunger up. We were in pajamas and since we couldn't remove the plug in the tub, a plunger wouldn't help. We declined the plunger and went to sleep. In the a.m. my wife went down to get a luggage cart and mentioned it to the lady on duty and all she said was, I understand you folks declined to have anyone come to your room last night. By morning there was about 10 inches of water in the tub. Needless to say, we will NOT be staying there again as we have for the past 4 years.

Room Tip: check your room thoroughly before stating there
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Annet458
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
I am sorry that you experienced some problems when you last stayed at the Clarion Hotel-Airport. Believe me, now all our Front desk personnel know that we have feather pillows in our rooms. After talking to you, hopefully you will stay with us again and our service will be up to your standards as it has been for that last 4 years that you have stayed with us.

Sharon
owner

Travellers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Crowley, TX
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Stayed one night at the Clarion and chose it for an early flight out the next day. The room was clean, comfortable and very quiet for being near an airport. Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast was provided at the on-site restaurant ($6.50 voucher per person - if you order above that, you pay the difference). The room smelled a little "musty" and/or like "pets" may have been in it at some point. -- but it wasn't too bad. Huge bathroom door (handicap accessible) that took up almost all of the bathroom whenever it was open, but not a real problem. Comfortable bed, pillows and good shower. I believe they offer a free shuttle to/from the airport, but we had a rental car so did not use it. Would recommend and would stay again if in the area.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TXLuv2Travel
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here for a quick one night in July 2011 because of the proximity to the airport, reasonable pricing, and free high speed internet. Some comments about the place below:

PROS
- Super close to airport
- Large mini suite style rooms
- Free wifi in room (it's decently fast)
- Free open parking lot
- Free on-demand shuttle to/from airport
- Free donuts and coffee in lobby
- Overall, pretty good value for money

CONS
- Furniture and fitout appears tired and worn
- Carpet really needs to be replaced
- Service is a bit spotty but not terrible

The Bottom Line: This is an extremely practical airport motel for the budget minded. With that in mind, it's fine for what it is, in fact in reality it is quite a good value considering how many things they throw in for free. Particularly nice is the free WIFI and on-demand shuttle to and from the main terminal (all you do is call them and they send the shuttle). Just don't expect anything too fancy and you'll be pleasantly satisfied.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I randomly picked Clarion from a list of hotels near the Milwaukee airport and gave them a call. A woman named Kelly told me she would be there in a just a few minutes to pick me up. Sure enough, there she was driving the hotel bus. She was very friendly and personable to all the guests on the bus, which made me feel good about my random pick. Once at the hotel, Kelly immediately got behind the desk to start checking people in. It was then I realized that she and another employee were the only ones running the hotel and picking people up from the airport! Despite this, they were both very calm, friendly and funny, which really put me at ease after an exhausting travel day. Even though the hotel bar was closed, Kelly even offered to drive me to the nearest bar! She also automatically applied a discount to my room.

The room was clean, fairly modern and included a microwave. I was especially happy for the quiet and cold AC. I needed to print a boarding pass for the next day and sure enough at 1 a.m. there was an open business center with two computers and a free working printer (so rare it seems at hotels these days).

I didn't get a chance to swim in the pool, but it looked surprisingly big.

In the morning, there was a huge array of complimentary muffins and donuts, coffee and juice. They also run shuttles to the airport every few minutes, so it's super convenient for a quick layover like I had.

I couldn't have been more please with this hotel, especially for the price. Not sure if all Clarions are run this well, but I might just try another one because of this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends