“A sushi oasis in the middle of Wisconsin”
Review of Tempura House

Tempura House
Ranked #40 of 95 Restaurants in Lake Geneva
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Racine, Wisconsin
“A sushi oasis in the middle of Wisconsin”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Admittedly, I'd read other reviews and that's a big reason why we'd decided to eat here and it did not disappoint. The food here was top notch. We started off with the shrimp & vegetable tempura and the batter was light and crispy. 3 generous pices of shrimp with green beans, sweet potato, mushroom & onions were presented artfully. Husband ordered the sukiyaki and it was better than other places we'd tried. Not too sweet, the noodles not too chewy and an all around good flavor. We'd also ordered nigiri sushi & some maki rolls. The caterpiller roll was creamy with avacado and the veggies in the california roll were crunchy and fresh. The wasabi was strong & flavorful and it was even added to my tobiko pieces. They had the large bottle of Sapporo available for my husband and I had the savignon blanc. Great service, very attentive and my water glass was constantly getting filled (I was thirstier than I'd realized). Granted we were there on a Sunday night when most people were watching the Superbowl, so it wasn't busy and we felt that the enclosed porch was reserved just for us.I kinda liked the New Orleansy atmosphere with it's French quarter feeling decor and even had dixie land jazz playing overhead. Definitely not your typical asian restaurant atmosphere, but still, quite romantic.

Visited February 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“so good”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The food here is amazing. You need to go. The tempura is the best I have had. The hibachi dishes are really good, too. Service has improved, so don't be dismayed by earlier reviews. I, too, have experienced poor service here, but I haven't for the past couple of years. Even if I had to wait, the food is worth it.

Visited January 2012
minneapolis
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My hubby and I were walking around town scoping a place for dinner. We were both unfamiliar with the area and ventured off the beaten path and saw the lights on Tempura House. We were seated on the upper level of this remodeled 2-story home. Our service was O.K. but we felt we were kind of in no-man's-land. Rest rooms are on this level, but servers have to truck up and down the stairs to serve you if you are seated above the main floor. Nevertheless, the food was very good and reasonably priced. I know some other folks seated after us were miffed that the service was slacking as the night wore on. I'd definitely go back, but only if I were not in a hurry to be served.

• Visited September 2011
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Food was good, but service could use some help”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My husband and I were told by friends how great the food was here, especially the sushi. When his birthday rolled around we decided to make the 40 minute ride and try it out. We waited 5 minutes for a host to come to us, but everybody that walked by let us know they'd be right with us- so not a problem. Our server was friendly, but either very new or needed some retraining. Sushi was great, entree was good, bottle of white wine was very warm-it was not replaced with a cold bottle, she just added more ice to the chiller- which was only slightly better. If I happened to be in the area, I would give it another try, but I would not make a special trip again.

• Visited August 2011
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Not too bad”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

At outside on their deck. Good service and food. Be sure to feed the parking meter if park out front.

• Visited August 2011