“Retirement celebration”

Farmhouse Madeline Island
Ranked #7 of 14 Restaurants in La Pointe
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Description: Farmhouse is a from scratch restaurant serving breakfast brunch and lunch daily from 8AM-3PM. We utilize local foods as much as possible from our community for our community.
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Ice cream is out of this world, creamy, tastes awesome, and best of all they are not skimpy when it comes to their cones.

1  Thank Nancy B

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We had breakfast here one Saturday morning. You order at the counter and your meal is brought to the table. There is a mandatory 18% gratuity added to your bill "so our workers can make a living wage". We waited for at least 45 minutes for our food, and when it did arrive, my husband's poached eggs were like rocks. When he showed these to the waitress, she agreed they were not cooked properly and offered to have them redone. He tried to just order them over easy, but she insisted on having them poach them again. The second time they came out, they were not much better. No explanation or apology was given, and we left feeling ripped off and disappointed in our choice of restaurant.

Lauren S, Owner at Farmhouse Madeline Island, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Hello, Thank You for your review. We make every effort to please guests and we fell short with the hard poached eggs. With our new system sometimes the kitchen gets 10 tickets at once and we are still navigating how to get the food out as promptly as we can while simultaneously not turning your poached eggs into 'rocks'. I am sorry you felt the crunch of that.

I know that the population at large is still getting used to the service fee idea in restaurants. I get it, you don't want to be told how to spend your money, but I can honestly say that we do this so our staff can earn between $10-15/hr consistently. We believe that you should be able to depend on a certain wage every time you go to work. Please know our staff strives to check in with every guest and give every guest a great experience, they do not take their consistent wage for granted.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

I ordered the basic farmer's breakfast (two eggs, toast, hash browns). Bacon or sausage is extra. Glad I ordered a side of bacon - it was crispy and wonderful. As for the rest - the eggs tasted as though they'd been scrambled in truffle oil...weird, as this was not mentioned on the menu. I suspect cross-pollination with another menu item occurred. And when I asked for jam (none was offered with the toast) I received some remarkably odd homemade strawberry jam. (Crystallized strawberry halves in clear, runny syrup).

Service wise, the staff were more interested in discussing the music playing on the radio than they were in attending to customers. It was not surprising at all that an 18% gratuity is automatically levied, given the quirky food and the poor service.

1  Thank AbigailTraveler
Lauren S, Owner at Farmhouse Madeline Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Thank you for your review of Farmhouse. We always strive to provide locally sourced homemade food at FH. I am sorry that the jam missed the mark for you. We have been incredibly unhappy with the ingredients in commercial brands of jam and our trying our hand at making our own in house, Thanks for the feedback.
I assure you we take every effort to provide welcoming prompt service. This is our biggest challenge every season as we are highly seasonal and always have new staff. As I am sure you can imagine it helps to provide a stable income, this is why we made the decision to have a line item service fee. However the intent is not to include it and not work for it, so there is always room for improvement.
I am glad that your food was delicious (sans the jam) I know that we are capable of fast friendly service and hope you would consider returning to try some of our signature breakfasts like the savory waffle or the hash hash.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Four of us ate at The Farmhouse tonite. It was great, and a very special night. It was a "Farm to Table" experience, with a set menu. The menu was: Cauliflower Soup...with a Parmesan Crip (totally a homerun); Kale Salad with a Truffled Lemon Vinaigrette dressing and Toasted Almonds(all but me liked it a lot...I just have never found Kale to my liking...tonite continued my string of dis-liking kale); main course...a choice of a grilled Lamb Chop with a Goat Cheese and whipped Turnip sauce...with Summer Veggies covered in the sauce too (three of us had it, and felt it was one of the best sauces we had ever experienced...and that is really saying something as all are very experienced travellers...and "foodies")..or option # 2...an English Pea, Crayfish Risotto, with Chanterelle Mushrooms (my wife had it, and loved it!)...and the highlight for ALL of us was the dessert...Honey Yogurt Panna Cotta with Summer Berries, Lavender and White Chocolate Cake Roulade with Meringue (one of the most unusual pairings I have encountered...and it was exceptional!) Whenever you are on Madeline, do yourself a favor, and see if The Farmhouse id doing one of their Farm to Table Dinners. Tonites offering was totally amazing to our group of four. Wonderful experience!

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

The menu on their website looked good, with prices high-ish but not excessive for the Island. Upon arriving, we discovered that food prices were more than 10% higher than posted online. Their burger, the "Fat Mac," was definitely not worth $15. And while I support the principle of automatically adding an 18% tip to all orders, the service doesn't merit it, even when the place is mostly empty. We had to ask for water three times and point out that the server had already brought it to a dog before water arrived to us.

Great idea, but overpriced and underwhelming.

1  Thank TheProseccoLife
Lauren S, Owner at Farmhouse Madeline Island, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Thank You ProseccoLife for your review. We really value customer feedback! I want to make sure that we are representing ourselves properly across all platforms and from time to time have to adjust price based on our cost. We take great pride in offering the quality of food that we have at Farmhouse and our prices reflect all that goes into supporting local farmers, ferry fees, labor and business costs. Every season is a learning experience for us: training new staff, finding new vendors, and navigating the challenges of the island. Our included gratuity is a way for us to gain some stability from season to season with staff and I appreciate your patience while we grow into our best business model.