“Scrumptious food made by the ever delightful Chef Adrian!”
Review of Uptowne Cafe

Uptowne Cafe
Ranked #32 of 204 Restaurants in La Crosse
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Description: Honest food brought to the table to feed family friends and community.
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

My family and I have been to the Uptowne Cafe several times. I think it gets better with each visit. The food is delicious and the Chef changes the menu seasonally. So I will start with the mushroom and swiss burger. This should have a different name because it is anything, but ordinary. Thick sliced mushrooms that tasted like they were sauteed in something heavenly. The beef burger was juicy and packed with flavor. Amazing. The soups we have tried have always been incredible. Just the right flavor combinations to make each spoonful a wonderful experience that tantalizes your tastebuds. Then there are the cookies. Oh those cookies are so good it doesn't seem right. Lavender cardamom cookies are all of your happy moments wrapped up into a chewy and flavorful cookie. The chocolate chip cookies are so good you should sit down when you try one. Not kidding. Our daughter loves the mac and cheese, fries, and mango smoothies. My husband loves everything too. The owners and staff are extremely courteous and knowledgeable. Very welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. Whether you want an excellent meal, a healthy (and tasty) smoothie, or scrumptious baked goods, this is your place.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Northern La Crosse is an interesting part of town, separated from downtown by marshes which gives it a quirky neighborhood feel. It was also home of Maidrite, a historical sandwich institution which closed last year. However, fear not, just two houses away from this location a new eatery opened, the Uptowne Cafe. On our way to our favorite sweet shop, we came upon the Uptowne Cafe.
Now for the trick question: who among the readers believes that a Master's degree in architecture and a Ph.D. in city planning is a prerequisite for an exceptional culinary experience? I was not among them until my wife ventured out to try Adrian Lipscombe's restauran.
The atmosphere exudes community/neighborhood feel. The service is friendly and attentive. There is a fundamental problem in the restaurant, you must pass the counter with the fresh baked goods to reach the table. Try it for yourself, bet you cannot resist the blueberry cake donuts, the raspberry and blueberry scones, not to mention the cookies and muffins.
The menu follows the farm-to-table concept with a twist. Adrian moved to La Crosse from Austin, TX, clearly because of the favorable winter weather up here, and added some southwestern twists to the offerings. My wife ordered the build your own omelette with spinach, onion, cheese and mushroom. The omelette was fluffy, not salty, just right. It came with hash browns that were perfect. Not greasy and wonderfully crispy, my wife and I agreed these were one of the best we had. I chose a Croque Madame, juicy, the toast not soggy, perfect Bechamel sauce. I had ordered the hashbrowns, but got the original country potatoes instead. They were very good, and I was happy with my selection. Adrian however, sent a cup of cheesy grits as a token of apology. I strongly recommend never to order them, unless you want to become addicted. They were phenomenal. And don't forget to order a smoothie, my wife ordered "Hippy Hollow", and she had no mind to share it with me.
Of course we succumbed on our way out, and got some cake donuts and scones. Somehow, on our way back home, one of the cake donuts disappeared and my wife feigned total innocence.
We will definitely come back, this restaurant is worth supporting and we cannot wait for Adrian's effort to open another restaurant on the south side. Thank you Adrian for the double switch from architecture to culinary master, and for moving to La Crosse.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

What a gem! They did a great job remodeling- the decor is very cozy but contemporary; the atmosphere was warm and friendly and the owner was a hoot, joking with customers while staying very busy. I went for dinner on a Friday and brunch two days later. They offered a mix of more unique and classic menu options for both meals. Love all the use of local farms for ingredients! For dinner I had the burger with pulled ham hocks and homemade pickles on it (I think it's called the Notorious P.I.G.)- it was fantastic, definitely one of the best burgers I've had! Super juicy and flavorful, great bun and pickles and the pork was sooo tender! My mom who was with me for the chicken enchiladas and they were very nice too. I also got a raspberry lemon scone to eat for breakfast the next day and it was lovely, light texture with lots of fresh raspberries and not too sweet. For brunch I got the waffle sandwich, a fun take on the normal sausage/egg/cheese breakfast sandwich. My husband and I also split a strawberry rhubarb danish, which was perfect! Uptowne Cafe is an awesome little gem! Can't wait to go back soon and see what's new on her menu (and to try one of the daily donut flavors during the week- I hear they sell out fast)!

Reviewed 5 May 2017

The wife and I had lunch at the Uptown today. Great food, great service and a very nice cafe in a nice neighborhood. We will return.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Great food. Like amazing quality. My son ordered the chicken and waffle. It was the best chicken he and I have ever tasted. I had coffee and a simple order of eggs and an English muffin. Simply delicious! Plus they have a great unique selection of bakery items. Limited quantities, but worth the trip there.