“Great Halibut”

Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Built in 1880 to house the freight offices and handle incoming freight from three railways, The Freight House has a been a long-time historical site in La Crosse, WI. Renovated in 1978 as part of a preservation project, what is now The Freighthouse Restaurant is home to nightlife, live music, and mouthwatering food that provides residents and travelers alike with an unforgettable experience. Voted the best restaurant in La Crosse County four years in a row, their menu and customer service keeps patrons coming back again and again. From tender, naturally aged beef that practically melts in your mouth to fresh seafood dishes, this local hot spot offers something to satisfy any taste bud. Be sure to pair your meal with the perfect drink selection from their whiskey or wine list. Complete with three indoor banquet halls and meeting rooms, their private party spaces can accommodate groups of up to 120 guests. For a truly unique experience, dine on The Back Dock.
Reviewed 1 April 2015

Very fast service, the halibut and asparagus were incredible. I enjoyed the fresh fish so much, it was almost too much to eat. Lots of people having a great time.

1  Thank roadrn

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Wonderful and happy staff. I love the atmosphere. Good service, both in the bar and the restaurant. They often times have live entertainment in the bar. There salad bar is serve yourself and there is a lot of variety. I almost always order the prime rib and it is cooked just the way I like it. My family also loves the lobster and scallops.

I have been there many times over the years and use it for a special place to go with family, friends or just with my husband.

In the summer they have outdoor seating, which lends itself to a different feel. They also have entertainment. Over the last two summers they had burger night. The burgers are very tasty and inexpensive.

1  Thank Kris608
Reviewed 10 March 2015

I was in La Crosse and was told I had to try Freight House. Best advice I have been given in years. The scallops were amazing as was every other dish I tried as we shared plates. If you are in the area you have to go!

1  Thank Dennis M
Reviewed 21 February 2015

We had a large business group and they took very good care of us. The fare was upscale yet the prices were reasonable. Not one of us had enough room for dessert and nobody was complaining!

Reviewed 11 February 2015

The Freight House is very overrated. Certain staff members are very snooty and payed more attention to other tables rather than ours. We waited for refills numerous times. My husband and I both got a steak. Mine was tiny but tasteful. His was charbroiled black and when he mentioned to the server, the server walked away and didn't say a word. Then returned with the dessert menu to comp a dessert.... It was strange and very unprofessional. All my husband wanted was a decent steak, not a freebie. By this time, we were ready to leave after the unpleasant experience.

The best part about this place is the salad bar. It has a large variety and the greens are delicious and fresh.