“What a surprise!!!”

Renzo's Pizzaria & Trattoria
Ranked #33 of 251 Restaurants in Kenosha
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 9 March 2015

I recently had the good fortune of dining at Renzo's and already look forward to my next visit! We've been trying new places in the Kenosha area as my son attends Carthage college. I searched Trip Advisor, and on the good advice of many reviewers we decided to stop in for dinner last Saturday evening. We arrived on the early side and had no problem finding a booth. We weren't exactly sure of the protocol and no one greeted us at the door to show us to a table. Another diner told us we needed to order at the window at the back of the main room. As we approached, we were handed a double sided paper menu to view in order to place our order. Never having tried any of the fare, we began asking the woman behind the window for recommendations. She had plenty! Once she learned it was our first visit, she immediately placed a complimentary order of the 'Renzo fries' on our tab! Once we'd all decided and ordered, we returned to our selected booth. Within a few minutes, the woman we'd been speaking with, (we learned her name is Rosie), came up to our booth and told us we might want to move as it would soon become very busy with the 'ordering line' and it might disturb us. How right she was! Within a half hour, a line stretched from the window at back to the entrance at the front of the room. We found a large round table in the small adjoining room and were quite comfortable. This side room also held a large table for a bigger group two smaller tables, and a small bar at the back. The motif is on the dark side and rather vintage. Nothing fancy at all, but clean and comfortable. I wish I'd taken a photo of the retro chandelier made from Chianti bottles! The smells coming from the other side of the swinging kitchen door were out of this world.
Service was quick and both Rosie and our server made sure to check on us more than once. The food was amazing! The 'Renzo fries' are not to be confused with actual french fries...in fact, I don't care if I never eat a regular fry again after having these. They are long rolled strips of dough, deep fried....light, airy, never chewy. A must try! The marinara for dipping was delicious! Between four of us we ordered a pepperoni pizza, the Chicken parmesan and a Calzone or 'turnover'. All were absolutely delicious. My husband swears the Calzone is the best he's ever had and he even had a good friend who owned a Calzone/Pizza restaurant. The pastry crust was light and slightly crispy and full of flavor. Same for the pizza. The chicken Parm was grilled instead of fried, smothered in cheese and red sauce, served over a bed of your choice of pasta. Huge portions for all entrees and each came with a small side salad with house made balsamic.
At the end of the evening as Rosie came over to the table once more to make sure we were satisfied, we said our goodbyes and Rosie actually gave me a hug goodbye! She is just the sweetest woman....we felt like we were leaving a family dinner.
If you want some delicious, authentic, Italian cuisine in a decidedly un-stuffy atmosphere, you must visit Renzo's! Say hello to Rosie for me and tell her we'll be back soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We were a family group of 8. We all had different things and we were all very pleased. Excellent food, large portions, reasonable prices and personable service made this a pleasant experience.
This is old fashioned food in an old fashioned atmosphere. Do not expect fancy. These owners have been serving Kenosha well for many years.
Will return.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped by for a late lunch today. Ordered the stromboli. It was great, and as large as the plate. I will stop here again when I'm in the area. Worth the little extra money.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

This is a very cute place. The server was one of the owners and a very fun, nice and accommodating server. I think the food is good, not fantastic, but good. I find the price a bit too high for Kenosha. I ordered (2) orders of the bread/oil/parmigiano. It was excellent but both amounted to $18---for bread!. My wife and I walked away with a tab of $42 + tip for OK food. I'll go back, but will be more cautious on what we order. I'm guessing the pizza is probably my next try. As most people say, the outside is a drive by, don't let that sway your stopping by.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you are in the area, this is the place for pizza. We got the thin crust and it was so delicious. We also saw some other entrees coming out of the kitchen and it all looked good. Don't let the outside of the place fool you (or the kitchy inside decor), this is a great place! Prices are very reasonable as well. We will be back!