“Very Clean”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“Very Clean”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. We used the workout room, pool, whirlpool, and sauna. Everything was clean and well maintained. I can understand some of the comments. It is true that the front desk employees may seem somewhat robotic, but they are willing to answer your questions. I really appreciated the honesty of what restaurants to avoid. There is nothing worse than trying a restaurant and finding out that it is on a "hit and miss" cycle. I also agree that there were muffins and coffee provided for the morning. It would be nice if they offered some fresh fruit as well. We did not find the facility to smell anything like a grandmother's closet. The issue of the tv was also an issue to us. It was almost as if the volume was preset and you couldn't make it loud enough while watching a movie. One nice amenity that is offered is that you can borrow a DVD without an addition charge and they did have relatively new movies as well. I would agree that the price is a little high. I did enjoy the peacefulness with no children running around. Personally, I needed that peace because I watch my grandchildren during the week so things can be quite noisy a good portion of my week. So, I guess what I am saying is no place is perfect in every way just as life is not perfect. Just felt wonderful to get away, and I would not hesitate to stay here again, just wished it was a little cheaper.

2 Thank Marlene H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We returned a week ago from our second trip to Door County in three weeks. Door County is wonderful! Unfortunately, our hotel was not "wonderful". The staff were not friendly from the minute I phoned to make the reservation. Seemed annoyed at my questions. (Note their reservation cancellation policy! You are responsible for the entire total if you need to cancel within 14 days. At around $200 per night, that would have been over $600 had we canceled.) After we checked in, my husband commented that the desk clerk must have taken a speed talking class as she zoomed through the parking, breakfast hours, etc, in a robotic manner. (Actually amusing.) The grounds are nice and well maintained. There is a tiny workout room, a nice size indoor pool and hot tub. We had one of the larger king rooms on the second floor called the French Country room. It had a gas fireplace, a wet bar, and a double jacuzzi in the room. The bed was comfortable with nice linens. It was a big room, clean, but in need of an update; decorated in mauve and teal. Also, there was no luggage rack and no place to put the luggage other than on the floor. Use the Aveda toiletries judiciously, as they were never replaced and we stayed there 3 nights. Also, a plastic container of liquid Soft Soap (exactly like in the store) is next to the sink. Not too classy. The towels were not thick and fluffy at all. Very sweet, sugary muffins, and good coffee are served in the lounge, and nothing else. Neither of us wanted this as our breakfast for 3 mornings. I had just stayed at a hotel around the corner which had better amenities and welcoming staff for less than half the price. We would not return here at their current price level. We have traveled extensively and are not at all opposed to spending $200 or more a night if the hotel warrants it. This one disappoints.

Room Tip: No elevator to the second floor.
12 Thank NancyBSt_Paul_MN
Illinois
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I couldn't agree less with the disgruntled "53 year old" who wrote the unflattering review of the Ashbrooke. I just returned from a visit there, and I certainly would return again. The accommodations were roomy, the amenities adequate, and the hotel is very clean and well-maintained. Having had plenty of less-than-stellar hotel visits with children screaming at all hours -- and worst yet, drunk
party-goers stumbling their way down the hallways at 3 a.m. -- I really appreciated having a stay in a beautiful place where I didn't have to call the front desk to complain about noise. And as far as the TV is concerned.....I'm 59 and near-sighted, and I had no problems seeing the TV, so I don't know what that silly complaint was all about! If you want glitz and big screen TVs and mini bars, then you go to Vegas. But if you want a lovely, comfortable place to stay in Egg Harbor then I would recommend the Ashbrooke. And no, JD, I am not a relative nor a friend, but a visitor from a neighboring state who has traveled extensively nationally and internationally.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Delavan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 October 2011

well lets see:
1) even though we made arrangments to stay several months in advance (for 3 days)..and were given a reduced rate for one of the nights because they were booked and didn't want to have us moving to another room twice during our stay...when we checked out...they didn't honor it.
2) this place is for seniors ->NO KIDS...or YOUNG COUPLES <..it smells like your grandmothers closet in hotel. every night niight while we stayed there we noticed older couples sitting in chairs talking and using the internet....
3) Housekeeping did a substandard job of cleaning and leaving fresh toiletries.
4) the pillows were like rocks
5)1 extra blanket
6) no balconies
7) the two televisions were 20" at bext and so far away from the bed and couch you wouldn't be able to use them
8) parking was a joke...it seemed like they had way too many rooms and not enough parking
9) NO elevator...thats right...I hope you emjoy carrying your crap up the stairs...
10) coofee is in the front office....a nice loooong walk from the rooms
11) the breakfast they offer is a cup of coffee...a papar and a mufin
12) the greeter at the front office sounded like a recording and was very sour faced and not friendly at all.
13) On the positive side...the place was well maintained ...but I didn't go there to sleep on the grass or walk the grounds......like I said...this place was hideous...nice to look at but crappy on the inside.
save yourself $200. a night and stay at your grandmothers house.....you woun't notice the difference and you'll save the momey.
I'm not sure how they scored so high on the ratings list....must have had older relatives staying there or wrote the reviews themselves!
One last thing....the night before we stayed here....we were in Lake Geneva at the Bella Vista...
4 rooms there plus arrangements for our small wedding cost us 200. more...and the place made this dump look likea campground....
I've been to door county about 10 times and can't believe I choose this place.

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT...THEY'RE CHEAP, DECEIVING, AND RUN A OLD FOLKS HOME HERE...

bty...I'm 53

Room Tip: coose a room a few miles up the road in sister bay, ephraim, fish creek, Gils riock
9 Thank J D
dchotelguy, Owner at The Ashbrooke, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
I certainly apologize that our hotel did not meet this guest's expectations. Our staff, my family and I are very proud to offer a clean, comfortable adult-only lodging option for couples looking for a somewhat different Door County stay. To say that we are cheap and deceiving is truly against the mission of our company and very hurtful. All of us work very hard at doing our best to please our guests. The ironic part of these comments is that this guest stayed in one of our most requested rooms for our repeat guests.

I just wish that this guest would have brought his concerns to any member of our staff during the three days that they stayed with us, instead of on the room comment card after check-out and then again here on TripAdvisor. If they had, each of the items that could have been corrected would have been corrected immediately to their satisfaction. If not, I would have been happy to try and help them find and secure alternate lodging in another hotel that would meet their needs in Door County during the busiest weekend of the year.

Fred Anderson, Owner
The Ashbrooke
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We just Finished our third stay at the Ashbrooke. As usual the service and accommodations were outstanding. As a treat to ourselves we booked a first floor suite with Jacuzzi and small private patio. Well worth the small increase in fees. Wonderfully landscaped, quiet, clean and the staff is there to serve. We would have to agree with a few of the critics in that the beds are somewhat overly firm. Everyone knows the endless number of great places to visit in DC, but after many visits there we stopped at the Hands On Art Studio. A must see for the off the beaten path studios. Chefs Hat in Ephaim, excellent as always. Also found the best smoked meats since visiting down south. Try the DC Cafe in Sister Bay. Will make that a stop every visit from now on.

• Stayed September 2011
18.8 km away
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to The Ashbrooke? Share your experiences!