“Not too bad for first-time visit”
Review of YO Shi

YO Shi
Ranked #23 of 82 Restaurants in Delavan
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 11 January 2017

I had never been here before. I had two flasks of Ozeki sake, water, miso soup, shrimp tempura and gyoza dumplings and chicken fried rice. I thought the miso soup was pretty good, with white miso in it. The tempura shrimp used Japanese panko and was on a skewer. The vegetables that were a part of the tempura were not so good. I got one large cucumber sliced rather thickly and one Bell pepper. I do not care for Bell pepper when it is deep fried like that. The chicken fried rice was decent with chunks of chicken you could see. The rice looked as if it were Basmati brown rice. The service was good. The place looked a little run down, but in a small town such as Delavan, what would one expect? My friend had a big avocado sushi roll and also chicken fried rice and said all of it was good. Overall, I'd give it four out of five stars. The reviews in here before 2017 may have been old, and it appears that perhaps the place has newer management. The waitress knows enough English to get you what you need. It can be improved, sure. But still, not too bad for the price. Give it a try.

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

Took my adult daughter for a birthday lunch. Had heard the place was excellent so I figured I would save myself a drive going to Milwaukee.

At best it was 'okay'. The decor is old and dingy. Service was slightly above okay and was provided by a young Japanese woman that could hardly understand English.

The standard Miso soup was what I expected. The sushi plates was not. We both got a variety plate which That was lacking in visual appeal. Flavor was okay. What I thought was really odd was the size of the rolls. These were about the size of my middle finger or similar to a standard cigar. This is the first time I've ever seem sushi rolls served like this. Being that rice is a low cost commodity it made no sense.

Will I return? Very unlikely. I can think of 4or 5 places in the Milwaukee area that I would rather drive too so that I know I'd have a good sushi meal.

Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Fun and friendly service, they took good care to cater to allergies, the fish was fresh and all the food was great.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

I would say this was about 2.5 stars. We eat a LOT of sushi/Japanese as a family, and this just was not good. I guess it was not terrible, but the rolls were tiny, as well as the nigiri. The ginger dressing on the salad was gross. Had an odd flavor, and ridiculously watery (had trouble eating it). Teriyaki chicken was odd. Served with really mushy noodles under the chicken plus rice on the side. Service not great. Ambiance poor... loud buzzing freezer at entrance that can be heard through entire restaurant, humid, sticky carpet, etc. Even the soda tasted odd, like it was watered down. My husband wouldn't finish his, and he's not picky.

It was edible but that's about it.

Reviewed 11 April 2016

The food was very cold by the time we got it. Kobe steak was very tough...a total waste of money! Rice was supposed to come with as well as a salad. The salad was more white then green, a pitiful excuse for a salad. Had to ask 3 times for the rice, got about 1/2 cup of cold rice. Staff was very rude.

Been to YO Shi? Share your experiences!