“Good Old-fashioned Ice Cream Shoppe”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Boy Blue Dairy Treat Store
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Beaver Dam
Reviewed 27 June 2016

I love this quaint, family run ice cream shoppe. The staffers are friendly and the ice cream desserts are great! I love their peanut parfait - soft-serve ice cream in a tall sundae glass layered with hot chocolate syrup, peanuts and marshmallow cream, with the proverbial cherry on top. They also serve sandwiches and quick snack grub - mostly unremarkable, re-heated stuff, but that is not why one should go there. Go there after eating lunch or dinner for an ice-cream themed dessert, or stop in for a cone on a hot summer afternoon. It is small town Americana at its finest. Made me feel like a kid again.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

The Royal Freeze is the equivalent of a Blizzard. It is a nice place to sit inside or out and eat your ice cream. They also have some basic food items as well. Centrally located downtown, it just seems a little more convenient than Dairy Queen.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

I don't go here as often as I would like, mostly because they only take cash and I really never seem to have any on me. However, if you visit Beaver Dam, you need to take the time to stop here with your kids.
This is a throw-back ice cream parlor with a variety of flavors to choose from at somewhat reasonable prices. In addition to ice cream, you can get things like root beer floats and various hot foods.
There are two main reasons why I prefer this particular ice cream shop to the Dairy Queen on the other side of town. The first is the fact you can sit indoors. This is a pretty big deal when it's colder outside or if there are a lot of bugs outside.
The other reason is the service always seems to exceed expectations. The people behind the counter are friendly and are great with kids. This isn't always the case with places like this. Oh, and the fact they do have a large selection does make it easier to find things my picky children will enjoy.
Even though we like taking the kids here, this is also a routine stop on nights my wife and I have a rare date night. If we go to the movies, we usually plan it so we eat here first because it's within reasonable walking distance of the movie theater and less expensive than the other downtown restaurants.
My only real complaint about this business is, as I mentioned before, they only take cash. This does limit my ability to visit them to days when I actually have cash on me. However, since I'm sure that's one of the reasons why they have managed to remain affordable, I'm willing to overlook that.

Reviewed 28 August 2015

Great place for a treat, try the Muddy Banana, You can still get a cone with candy sprinkles here. Service is good people are polite, its a summertime treat when we are passing through the area.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Btw, since they dropped the franchise, they now call it "Blue Boy." I have been coming here since my teen years (I am 55 now) and still enjoy stopping occasionally, even though my kids are grown and gone. Lots of ice cream treats to choose from and a fair sized food menu. Hey, it's not high end but this place is a throw back to when times were simpler.

1  Thank Andy M