“Cheap for a reason”
Review of Sunshine Lodge

Sunshine Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Williamstown
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were virtually the only people in this hotel. I think I saw one other visitor and there were only two other cars in the parking lot. Despite this, the owner insisted that we take a room far from the entry and on the second floor. As there is no elevator, and there were three of us, this was a big deal with all our luggage. When requested for a main floor room, he demanded more money. In over twenty five years I have never had that sort of response from a hotel. When we got to the room, it was ice cold. Our visit was in the middle of winter. The heater hadn't been on for a long time. Finally, the room heated up, but it wouldn't regulate, and we were roasting by morning. We didn't even stay for the advertised free breakfast, as we felt that we might get sick.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank AT_DESIGNER

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have stayed at many hotels and motels over the years, but this must be the nastiest we have ever been in. This was previously a Days Inn, and the new owners did not even bother taking down the old signs. The check-in staff was unfriendly, the room was old and dingy, the bed sheets smelled like they had not been washed since their last use. We found hair on the sheets that was not ours, and we were worried what else might be hidden in the bedding. We called the front desk to voice our concerns, but were dismissed.
We picked the place for location and since we were planning on crashing for just a night, but it was way overpriced for what we got. I wish we had spent a few extra bucks and/or driven a few more miles to find a better, cleaner, American-operated place. Obviously, this place was not at all concerned with guest service. Rather, it seemed all they were doing was skimming off profits without putting anything back into the motel. All I can say is “run, run, run”!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank Renate1111
Reviewed 31 May 2013

For what they charge, I expect better.

Very outdated, "interesting" fountain at the entrance. Still used paper reservation cards. I stayed on the second floor and it had a funky smell. I saw old furniture in the hallway. Just looked very messy and disorganzied. Although close to the interstate, there's just a gas station, welcome center, and another 1986-ish restaurant nearby as your only choices for entertainment. Lobby computer did not work; I think it had a virus. Front desk was made aware of this, but he just shrugged his shoulders.

Phone book from 2009 in room. Breakfast area was not maintained or replenished. Very outdated decor and selections. I guess if you have low standards, this hotel is ok.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank Tally L
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Front desk area very cluttered and had an 'odd' smell. The room smelled 'musty' and was FILTHY! Cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, stains on the carpet, FILTHY toilet, the towels were not clean (instead of the usualy white, two of the four were dingy tan/yellow), the bed had blood stains on it and there were holes in the mattress, and I could go on and on.... When I returned to the front desk to let them know about these issues and to ask for a refund, they told me to contact Expedia. I gave them the room keys and prompty left. My family had to sleep in the car. NEVER got a REFUND.... When Expedia called the hotel they manager refused to refund my money and said the feedback was false. You will regret booking a room here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank ValGal71
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel is AWFUL! As soon as we pulled up, we knew we wanted our money back. It just gets worse as you walk in. It smells like a bar full of smoke, it looks like you walk into the era of hippie 1960s decor, the beds are lumpy, the carpets are disgusting. As soon as they took our card, they charged it an extra $70 for kids staying without telling us until just after they did it. We slept in our clothes and left as soon as possible the next day. The manager kept evading us until we finally caught up with him after requesting to talk with him, at least, 20 times. He apparently lives their because he has a car with his name on it with the hotel name on it also and it had been parked there the entire time we were there. Its disgusting, not family oriented and the manager will curse at you and hang up on you if you have anything to say. He even told us that he changes the policies as he sees needed so that he can make money. He actually told us that! STAY FAR AWAY!!!! This felt like a virtual nightmare!

Attached are pictures of the pool that I wouldn't let a stray animal swim in. It was gross! Pictures of the room to come...

Holiday Inn Express at Parkersburg is awesome and well worth the money!!

Room Tip: Nothing here! A tent on the side of the interstate is safer and a lot more clean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
25  Thank Jenn N

Been to Sunshine Lodge? Share your experiences!