“Disappointed”
Review of Oglebay Park

Oglebay Park
Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Wheeling
More attraction details
Owner description: A 1,500-acre municipal park with a hotel, a petting zoo, swimming pools, a planetarium and museums.
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We Drove from Mansfield, Ohio to see this "Amazing Light Display." We were DISAPPOINTED!! There were not many lights and the steep 20$ donation was OVERRATED!! NEVER AGAIN!!! We had more fun at the FREE Stubenville, Ohio Nutcracker display that we hit up on our way back home.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"the cottages"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit. The Festival of Lights was great. However, I didn’t love riding in the trolley to see them. It was really cold and the windows had a layer of ice that was hard to see through. Our guide on the tour, though, was great! I do think the resort area could have better signage. We had no idea where anything was and struggled to find things. We couldn’t get in to eat at either of the restaurants without a two hour wait, but the local restaurants we found were excellent.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

My wife and I ventured out of Ohio and crossed over to Oglebay Park to see the acclaimed Christmas light show. We signed up for the trolley ride about 2 hours ahead of time on a Wednesday night and seats were selling fast. We took the first ride out a 5:30 which was 15 minutes too early, we sat on the passenger side and it seemed like 70% of the displays were on the other side but we did catch some on the way back. There are so many displays the 45 minute ride is at tourist speed. The driver was knowledgeable and had many years of experience. We drove around later and felt we had a better view. In the middle of the display they have a booth set up like the turnpike asking for a hefty donation. The trolley driver stressed it was a DONATION and you could chose to give nothing or any amount you chose. The lights are truly worth a donation but $20 to $25 may be a bit steep.
We did not stay at the inn but did eat in the sports bar and enjoyed the buffet in the main dining room. I would recommend a latter trolley and staying at the Inn would allow you to take a much later drive around. Please be patient.

1  Thank David F
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I planned an early birthday weekend getaway for me. I have always wanted to go to Oglebay and other attractions in the area. We didn’t have a wait, but the lights are pretty, but not what I expected from all the hype online and from Oglebay. “Donation” of $20 given to rude girl at the gate was a waste in my opinion. DO NOT make a special trip. Signs can only be seen going in one way, not a path to follow and displays here and there, not what I expected! Nicer ones in Louisville, Pigeon Forge and Ashland, KY!

1  Thank razz19