“Concentrated light show”
Review of Oglebay Park

Oglebay Park
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Wheeling
More attraction details
Owner description: A 1,500-acre municipal park with a hotel, a petting zoo, swimming pools, a planetarium and museums.
Reviewed 27 December 2017

My wife and I ventured out of Ohio and crossed over to Oglebay Park to see the acclaimed Christmas light show. We signed up for the trolley ride about 2 hours ahead of time on a Wednesday night and seats were selling fast. We took the first ride out a 5:30 which was 15 minutes too early, we sat on the passenger side and it seemed like 70% of the displays were on the other side but we did catch some on the way back. There are so many displays the 45 minute ride is at tourist speed. The driver was knowledgeable and had many years of experience. We drove around later and felt we had a better view. In the middle of the display they have a booth set up like the turnpike asking for a hefty donation. The trolley driver stressed it was a DONATION and you could chose to give nothing or any amount you chose. The lights are truly worth a donation but $20 to $25 may be a bit steep.
We did not stay at the inn but did eat in the sports bar and enjoyed the buffet in the main dining room. I would recommend a latter trolley and staying at the Inn would allow you to take a much later drive around. Please be patient.

1  Thank David F
in 14 reviews
"walking trails"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I planned an early birthday weekend getaway for me. I have always wanted to go to Oglebay and other attractions in the area. We didn’t have a wait, but the lights are pretty, but not what I expected from all the hype online and from Oglebay. “Donation” of $20 given to rude girl at the gate was a waste in my opinion. DO NOT make a special trip. Signs can only be seen going in one way, not a path to follow and displays here and there, not what I expected! Nicer ones in Louisville, Pigeon Forge and Ashland, KY!

1  Thank razz19
Reviewed 24 December 2017

We have been hearing about the " spectacular " light display and drive through Oglebay resort for some time so we decided to take the drive and get a room for the night and make an event of it, The glass museum was interesting and lots of delicate and beautiful works of art and plenty of items to purchase as well and the sweets shop has fudge that is some of the best ever, The rest of the candy is about the same you can buy anywhere at candy companies throughout the country, the mansion tour was interesting we love looking at how people lived and the furniture from the time period, but the light display on the 8 mile drive was not the " Spectacular " display the advertisements make it out to be, We have seen more lights in less of a drive in Fayette and Butler counties, Also the walk through sections where also impressive, now I am not putting it down it was nice and what they offered would impress children and to see all the wild deer roaming the property was fantastic but to pay for a hotel, gas and meals and a $25.00 donation for a 2018 calendar was a little much. They will take any donations you are willing to give for the journey through the lights but the calendar ain't worth the money. We will chalk this one up as....Been there done that.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

Wonderful holiday getaway. Great accommodations, highly recommend their overnight package. Best breakfast buffet I have ever had.