“Timing is everything”

Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed here twice w/ my wife, once last October (chalet) and last month (traditional). My rating reflects our March visit.

October was a bust because of the problems we had w/ neighbors--there was a hockey tournament in town, and next door was evidently the base camp for the party that went on until 3 in the morning. Apparently the goal was to break the Guinness record for highest decibel level recorded at a park lodge--I can attest that they made a great attempt at it, if they choose to submit an application for the record. We complained twice to the front desk; the park police got it broken up around 3, and the lodge made amends w/ a credit for that night.

Our March visit went much better. We chose a traditional lodge room in the off-season, no tournaments or conventions in town, and it was markedly quieter. I think what draws us back is both the architecture of the lodge itself--rustic themes throughout--and the scenery. I'm not currently into golfing, but seeing what we saw of the courses in the resort made me think about taking it up again, they are very inviting.

Both October's and April's rooms were very clean (though the chalet room's toilet kept running, which maintenance remedied for us reasonably quickly). Pool/spa and sauna were in good condition.

We also ate at the breakfast buffet each time we stayed. Very good spread w/ made-to-order waffles and omelets.

I'd say the Lodge is worth a stay, but a phone call ahead of time to try to arrange for a room away from the chalets might be worthwhile if you want a quiet area. We found the front desk staff very accommodating.

Room Tip: Call ahead to try for a room away from conventions or large groups. The traditional rooms have good...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Oglebay, Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Thank you for your comments and we are so glad to hear that your return visit was a good one. We appreciate that you took the time to post your review as we do like hearing about what we are doing right and what areas need improvement.

There are newer reviews for Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center

Reviewed 27 April 2012

First I have to say I have never wrote a review but felt like I needed to warn other families about the Oglebay Spring Break package.
I found the Spring Break Escape package online and thought it sounded like what we were looking for. It included the one night at the Wilsons logde, paddle boats, segway tour, mini golf, the Good Zoo, breakfast, pizza and sodas and the pool for two adults and two children. I booked online and we arrived at the Wilsons Lodge in the evening on Thurs. 4/19. My husband checked in but was not give any explanation or directions letting us know what to do to enjoy the items included in our package other then being told their was a key card that let us into the activities.
We checked in the rooms and they were nice enough. The lodge is large and we were at the far corner (without a balcony) making it a very long walk to the pool, front desk, breakfast etc.
It was evening so we went out to dinner and some local stores.
When we returned I went in to ask what we needed to do to get the included breakfast and pizza with drinks the next day.
After a very lengthy wait at the counter and the lady having to go into the back to see what exactly was included in our stay, she informed us (over her glasses and down her nose) that we would have to get the pizza right then as it was not offered on Fridays! It was 9 at night and we had just went to dinner. The pizza and drinks were for room delivery only.
She also told us that the segway tour included was only for one person. At $55 a person that was very unexpected cost. Although we had not planned to take the tour since our children did not weigh enough to ride, I thought that would have been a very bad surprise. It was not stated clearly on the webpage!
We did take our children (5 and 9) to the pool for a few minutes but the smell was very overwhelming so we could not stay long. We did like the 1' area for our 5 year old.
The included breakfast was ok but the food looked as if it had been in the warmers for quite some time.
We were to check out at 11 but the zoo and mini golf did not open until 10 and 11.
We checked out and let the kids play on the playground.
The zoo was not bad but several of the animals sadly paced a well beaten path in their enclosures. The lady at the lorikeet birds was very nice and helped us feed and hold the birds.
It only took an hour to walk the entire zoo.
The train inside the zoo only runs on weekends so that was another dissapointment to add to the childrens trip. That was also not stated on the site.
We then headed to the mini golf. It was not open and there was no one in sight at the location. Needless to say I had two very disappointed kids.
Being it was April it was a bit cold to try out the paddle boats that were also included. We didn't even check to see if they were open.
We left the resort very unhappy to find another mini golf location in the area.
Our value $199 +tax package ended up being a room and zoo entrance.
I would reccomend skipping this location if you have children.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ashlee C
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Our goal is always to exceed the expectations of our guests and anticipate their needs but it appears that we fell short during your visit, and for that we apologize. We have once again reviewed all of our current packages with the staff in an attempt to be better prepared for our future guests. We have also made changes to our website to hopefully avoid any misunderstandings regarding our package inclusions and facility hours. We take great pride in our AZA-accredited zoo and our zookeepers provide treats, toys, hidden food and other enrichment items to create a stimulating environment for each animal, but sometimes an animal will pace in anticipation of a meal or the transfer to their evening quarters. We appreciate that you took the time to post your comments and hope you will visit us again and have a much improved experience.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed here when I went to Oglebay with my Dad and Sister. The wait at the front desk was a bit long but once we got checked in we where fine. We stayed in a traditional room with a daybed and a queen bed. The room was nice and clean but it was a bit small. The bathroom was very nice but small. We had a balcony which was a nice feature but the door to the balcony was sticking and you had to open it with two hands and kick it for it to close. My only other complaint is that the TV had terrible reception. It had a Keurig brewer in it which was nice. We ate dinner at the Glassworks grill and the food and service was good. We went to the fitness center and pool which both where nice. I slept o.k. that night. The morning breakfast buffet was very good and you had a variety of choices. There was even a chef there to make an omelet for you. Besides a few minor complaints the lodge was very nice and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bryan F
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed here 3/31- 4/2 and really enjoyed our stay. This resort had an all-inclusive feel (although most everything is not included in the room price). We were able to just relax and enjoy the grounds without worrying about learning the area for food, activities etc. Wheeling is not a great city anyway, so we were happy to have everything on the grounds. Overall, I was very pleased with our experience. If you are looking for a family getaway, this place would be a great treat. They seem to have activities for every season.

Room - We staying in a traditional double. The photos on the website do not do this room justice. They make it look dark and outdated, but the rooms are very modern and clean. The carpet and furniture looked brand new. Even the bathroom had a renovated feel. I was impressed, and one should be for the cost of the room per night. The room is on the small side, but they make the most of the space with the way things are arranged. There is a patio connected to each room and outside seating provided. Our room was facing the courtyard outside of the pool and our "view" was a small hill up to the courtyard. There is a Keurig in the room which was a nice touch.

Bedding -
The bed was very firm, but I liked it. The pillows were hard as rocks and my neck hurt the entire time during our stay. Bring your own pillows! Also, they use a harsh detergent on the bedding and towels making them rough. I was allergic to it and did have a mild reaction. If you have allergies towards detergents remember your allergy medication, you may need it.

The Lodge - There were ample seating areas with books and views available. It was clear this place can handle large crowds. Everything is spread out and seating is offered all over the grounds and lodge. The hallways were clean and spacious. The only problem we ran into was getting our bags to/from the room. There are many levels and I could not find elevators easily. Not sure if this is a handicap friendly hotel/resort, but there may have been areas I was unaware of for wheelchair access.

Pool - My son loved this place and all the activities, but he really enjoyed the pool area. There is a large pool with a depth of 1 1/2 - 5 ft. The area also has 2 ping pong tables (with balls available for $0.25 in a vending machine), fitness center, sauna, and hot tub. The hot tub was REALLY hot. There is an arcade and food vending nearby. You can order food to the pool area.

Grounds - This place really has SOMETHING for everyone. There is a historical site, museum, glass works area with demonstrations, shopping, golf, trails, nature center, zoo, mini golf, padal boats, fishing, etc. Again, I dont think the site has enough information about how much is offered. I would also have loved to know the pricing of all of the activities before booking. I wish the wristband option was offered year round - HUGE cost saver. It cost us over $100 in two days to do most of the activities for 3 people. This is steep considering the room price is over $170. Some activities should be discounted or offered in the room rate. The area is open to the public so it makes sense to charge, but when paying that much for a room something besides the pool should be included. The area is beautiful in the spring and deer are everywhere. All areas were clean and free of trash.

Stables - I couldn't believe how affordable the stables were! For $15 my son had a 30 min private lesson. He learned a lot in 30 minutes and was so excited to be able to ride a horse without a lead. The stable workers are all very nice and his instructor was great with him - very patient!

Dining - Breakfast (included in the B&B rate) was wonderful! It is a buffet but it was fresh, hot and there were so many choices! You can get cooked to order waffles, omlets and eggs. There were at least 20 other items to choose from. Much better than your standard free breakfast. Fresh fruit was offered beyond whole fruit which was nice too! Service is good in this area and the view from the dining area is great. Large windows.

We ate at the glassworks cafe once and it was just okay. The food was underwhelming and overpriced. The service was not great either. Our server didn't know the menu and couldn't recommend any dishes (until she read 5 things off my menu)... She did not refill my glass until I asked and when serving coffee I had to ask for cream, then sugar, then a spoon. By the time I got everything I needed it was cold. The coffee cost $2.50 - it was the same thing I could have made in the room at no cost. The crabcake was mostly breading and tasted like it was frozen then deep fried - not freshly made.

I would highly recommend this resort to families, couples and business outings. We will be back in the summer to make the most of our time there - more things will be open. We lucked out in April a lot of stuff opened up for the weekend.

Room Tip: traditional is the cheapest and is a good fit for a budget friendly room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jdear85
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We visited Oglebay during the "Winter Festival of Lights" . The lights and accomodatons were fine. Great staff at the desk; very helpful. We enjoyed our visit very much with the exception of the dinner buffet at the Ihlenfeld Dining Room. It was overpriced , $28.95 for ,based upon the selection and quality of the food and less than satisfactory service. Little variety for a buffet of this price and what there was ,was not of the best quality. On the service side; we weren't served our dinner rolls until we were almost finished with our meal; then only after making repeated requests. On the other hand, we had the breakfast buffet two mornings and it was quite the opposite; nice selection, good food and super service. If Not for the Nightly buffet, Wilson Lodge would have gotten a very good rating

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank genebo
Oglebay, Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Thank you for visiting Oglebay during the Winter Festival of Lights and we are pleased that you enjoyed most of your stay at Wilson Lodge. We appreciate that you took the time to post your comments, both good and bad, as we like hearing what we are doing right and what areas need improvement. We hope you will visit us again this year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
4.1 km away
7.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Wheeling Triadelphia at the Highlands
6.9 km away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Triadelphia Wheeling Area

Been to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!