Stayed here twice w/ my wife, once last October (chalet) and last month (traditional). My rating reflects our March visit.
October was a bust because of the problems we had w/ neighbors--there was a hockey tournament in town, and next door was evidently the base camp for the party that went on until 3 in the morning. Apparently the goal was to break the Guinness record for highest decibel level recorded at a park lodge--I can attest that they made a great attempt at it, if they choose to submit an application for the record. We complained twice to the front desk; the park police got it broken up around 3, and the lodge made amends w/ a credit for that night.
Our March visit went much better. We chose a traditional lodge room in the off-season, no tournaments or conventions in town, and it was markedly quieter. I think what draws us back is both the architecture of the lodge itself--rustic themes throughout--and the scenery. I'm not currently into golfing, but seeing what we saw of the courses in the resort made me think about taking it up again, they are very inviting.
Both October's and April's rooms were very clean (though the chalet room's toilet kept running, which maintenance remedied for us reasonably quickly). Pool/spa and sauna were in good condition.
We also ate at the breakfast buffet each time we stayed. Very good spread w/ made-to-order waffles and omelets.
I'd say the Lodge is worth a stay, but a phone call ahead of time to try to arrange for a room away from the chalets might be worthwhile if you want a quiet area. We found the front desk staff very accommodating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oglebay is a unique 1,700-acre, year-round resort with exceptional beauty and abundant recreational activities. The 270-room Wilson Lodge at Oglebay features The West Spa, two dining rooms, an indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, fitness center, business center and wireless Internet. The resort also has 54 cottages, perfect for large families or several families that want to vacation together. Oglebay has something for every member of the family including 4 golf courses, eight specialty shops, a zoo, gardens, two museums, fishing, pedal boats, aqua cycles, tennis, stables, and miles of walking trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wilson Lodge At Oglebay Resort And Conference Center
- Wilson Lodge At Oglebay Hotel Wheeling
- Wilson Hotel At Oglebay
- Oglebay Resort Wheeling
- Wilson Oglebay Lodge Wheeling
- Wilson Oglebay Resort
- Oglebay Wheeling
- Oglebay Hotel