“Very nice. Sketchy looking location.”

Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Muskegon, Michigan
“Very nice. Sketchy looking location.”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Nice room, nice hotel, nice staff. Only bad was the location. Seemed to be a bad part of town. Hotel made me consider staying at Wingates more when I travel.

• Stayed June 2011
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you so much for the review! We are glad you liked your stay and the room & staff as well. We’re pleased that we gave you a chance to consider Wingate by Wyndham properties in the future and hope to see you again on your next trip to the area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Des Moines, WA
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Quiet location, clean, just off I-64 but can't see sign when travelling westbound so need to watch for exit. Has been updated, good service, breakfast better than some, beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: Next to I-64 but did not hear freeway noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
WingateCharlestonMGR, Admin Staff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you so much for the review! We’re glad you found the beds comfortable and the service to your liking. We are close to Interstate 64, at Exit 56, and it’s an easy off and on. We will look into making ourselves more visible to Westbound traffic, and we thank you for that observation. We’re glad you had a great stay and we look forward to your return visit!
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This is a beautifully redone Wingate. Everything is clean and modern. The bathrooms did not make it into the refurbishment, and show their age. However, the beds are comfortable, the room on the front side of the hotel was quiet, and the doubles are queens, making the room sleep 4 realistically, unlike most hotels. The staff was the real downside to this property. Each time we went to the desk, we had to announce ourselves because the employees sat at a desk facing away, surfing the internet. The promised "evening snacks" was a plate of cookies that was gone by 6 pm. The "evening beverages" are cold coffee which was never replaced despite notifying the desk, and a Pepsi fountain. The breakfast was pretty good, but all that "modern" furniture isn't too conducive to eating it, and the breakfast host was rude to other employees in full view of guests. The hot tub was broken, but we were allowed to use the cold but very nice pool in the Holiday Inn next door. On our way out, I overheard the housekeepers grumbling to each other about their jobs. I might return again if in the area because the choices are few.

Room Tip: ask to be put on the front side of the hotel; the back side is 25 feet from the very busy rail line.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SenoraGilbert
WingateCharlestonMGR, AdminStaff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for the review! I am sorry if your stay was any less than satisfying and I assure you we will address our service issues, as well as coffee replacement and evening snacks. Proper service and attitude is essential to us and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m pleased you got the chance to use the pool next door as we are currently having our hot tub worked on and I’m sorry it wasn’t available to you for your stay. I hope you will give us the chance to show that the issues you brought up have been addressed on your next visit to the area!
Martinsburg, WV
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Booked a 2 night stay for a training that I was attending in Charleston. Check-in was smooth and when I got to my room, staff was just leaving a complimentary "goody bag" in the room. Goody bag had a bottle of water, M&M's and a bag of pretzels. Room was very clean. Later that night, there were cookies in the lobby area for guests to enjoy. Hotel does have a shuttle service, but I never used it. Fitness center is small, but I still got a workout in and hopped in the whirlpool both evenings. The 2nd evening, it looked like they had hotdogs out for the guests. Staff was friendly and hotel was clean...exceeded my expectations!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
WingateCharlestonMGR, AdminStaff at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
We're so happy to hear we exceeded your expectations! We are glad you enjoyed the whirlpool, goody bags and cookies as well as the hot dogs. Sometimes it is the little things that make it great! We certainly hope to see you again when you are back in Charleston and show that it's always this good!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed here for 1 night due to a flight cancellation. Because this was one of the hotels that offered a shuttle (just a mini-van) from and to the airport, I stayed here because I could conveniently get to and from the airport. It just so happened that most of the other hotels that offered shuttles to/from the airport were all booked.

The hotel looks like it has been recently updated. Furniture is very new and modern. Some of the fixtures though (like the faucet and door handles) look like they came from the 70's. It's almost as if they spent a lot of money renovating the place but didn't finish some of the details.

There's what looks like a pretty good breakfast, though I couldn't partake cause I left early for the airport. Rooms are mostly quiet, though the noise from conversations in the hallways can be a distraction.

Overall, room was very clean and new. Beds were very comfortable. Room had a fridge, microwave, and a flat screen television. Bathroom was a bit small with a very poor location for the toilet. The space in the bathroom is limited because the door opens right onto the toilet. i.e. if you open the door when on the toilet you'll get your knees clocked.

TV has that lodgenet service, which I really could do without, but had plenty of channels.

The hotel doesn't seem to be in the best of neighborhoods, but just a short walk away is an excellent Mexican restaurant that I highly recommend. It was quite busy with lots of locals coming in and the food was excellent. Right next door is a Holiday Inn with a conference center.

Probably best part of the hotel I noticed in one night was the staff. Very friendly and even offered a bag of goodies (M&Ms, pretzels, and a water bottle).

Would definitely stay here if I get stranded again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for the review! We're sorry that you had a flight cancellation, but glad that we were able to serve you with our airport shuttle. We are glad you liked the bag of goodies and that the staff was so hospitable to you. Thank you for your comments concerning the fixtures and we will look into some of those details you mentioned. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time you are in the area (without the aggravation of a cancelled flight that is)!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Charleston
0.1 km away
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
5.9 km away
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
0.5 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
5.0 km away
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
4.2 km away
Hampton Inn Charleston - Downtown
12.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Charleston? Share your experiences!