All reviews potomac river infinity pool german food gas fireplace luxury room crab cakes antietam battlefield presidential suite wild game west virginia view room sauerbraten small balcony theater festival old world celebrate our anniversary the main dining room
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I wanted to post a review with all great comments about the Bavarian Inn but can't.

The good points are:
1. The employees are very pleasant & provided great service at check-in, check-out and in the restaurant.
2. Had a luxury queen room with a nice fireplace and sitting area. The fireplace is definitely a romantic touch.
3. Good amount of lighting, although see below.
4. Magnifying makeup mirror in bathroom. Also had a scale that worked although it was rusted.
5. Delicious food & great service at the restaurant.
6. It is in a lovely location and the exterior is full of charm and feels like being in Germany. Plus its location is within walking distance to the town and close to many sights.

The too many detractors are:
1. Heavy fragrance in the hallway outside our room when we checked in. The rest of the time the hallway had a moderately heavy cigarette smell. The rooms are all non-smoking. To be fair our room did not have the tobacco smell but our room had a slight fragrance ( that caused me to get congested.)
2. The carpeting along the entire hallway from the elevator to the end of hall on the 2nd floor was very stained.
3. All of the towels seemed to be older, well used & were fraying at the ends. Definitely not the "fine linens" as stated on the website.
4. 2 of the lamps when turned on would go on & off by themselves. One of them had a loose part. I checked the bulbs & the connections but they were not the problem. I think the lamps needed some type of repair.
5. The shower tiles needed to be regrouted as too much of the grout was black.
6. The sink faucets and drains did not match. By this, I mean that the drain was chrome colored and the faucet above it was brass or gold colored - mismatched fixtures.
7. The bed was right next to the heater, so heat would blow in one of our faces even when on low. The markings on the dials on the heater were also worn off. Since the heat was not on when we checked in in Jan., it was important to us to be able to pick the right temperature to warm the room.
8. The fitness center was not good. There were a total of 3 pieces of equipment (located in the Schwarzwald building) and 2 were broken! These were the treadmill and the elliptical trainer.
9. Paid $169 a night. I feel the price was too high for what we got.

For a AAA Four Diamond hotel, I expected much better!

By the way, we had a nice time shopping & sightseeing in Shepherdstown. It's a great area. There's a very nice visitor's center downtown. We dined at the Blue Moon Cafe and had a very good meal at a reasonable price. Also went to see Harper's Ferry and Antietam.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Virginia2002
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We had dinner at the Bavarian Inn a couple of month's ago and enjoyed the restaurant so much I made a reservation for Christmas Day. We stayed overnight in one of the Riverside View Rooms. The bathroom door would not close and swung completely open. The sink plug in the vanity was inoperable and there were several light bulbs burnt out. Considering we paid almost $250 for the room I felt this poor maintenance was unacceptable.
The dinner was a set menu rather than the normal full menu and even with that several items were no longer available. Service was less than stellar. The staff seemed less than attentive to the needs of the customers e.g. when asked for more butter it took forever for it to be brought to the table.
I completed a guest comment card which I gave to the receptionist at check out and was assured it would be passed on to the General Manager. I have had no acknowledgement of my comments despite contacting the Hotel again via their website.
It seems to me that if a hotel seeks out guest comments/feedback, they should have the good grace to respond. I have now a very unfavorable view of this establishment and its management.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Forbes B
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This was our first overnight stay at the inn. We took advantage of a mid-week special and absolutely loved our room and the robes provided. Everything was exceptionally clean. I liked the robe so much that I bought one to take home to remind me of the wonderful time we had.

We had eaten at the restaurant several times before, usually for lunch. During this stay we ate dinner and very much enjoyed the selection from the game menu. Wish there were more excellent German restaurants around. All of the staff extremely friendly. They even called us after we left to see if I lost an earring. Now, that's customer service. We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 20 November 2009

We found this hotel in our AAA guide book when planning a trip to visit the Civil War sites of Antietam Battlefield and Harpers Ferry. This hotel was about 10 minutes from both tourist spots. The hotel and restaurant are both listed as "Four Diamond", and we were suprised that the pricing seemed very affordable ($135 a night) for a hotel with that type of rating.

We were not disappointed at all! When you drive up to the hotel you can see immediatly why this place is so special. The front desk and restaurants are housed in a gorgoeous grayston building and the hotel rooms are in a few "chalets" that overlook the Potomac River. This Inn is very unique in its layout and my wife and I found it to be very charming, my wife commented "they dont build hotels like this anymore"

We found the restaurant to be lovely as well. I tried a German Dish "Sauerbraten" which was lovely while my wife had the "Crab Cakes" which were some of the best we have ever had. I am a wine afficianado and was very impressed with the vast selection if wines and the very fair pricing. We started with a nice bottle of J Sparkling wine for $38 and then had a great bottle of Sanford Pinot Noir for $42. Very fair pricing. The "house wines" by the glass were also very well chosen and about $6 a glass!

Our room was very comfortable with a nice river view. Our only complaint was that our room was cold when we checked in but the heat worked well and warmed up the room quickly.

Breakfast was very good, try the "Chesapeak Benedict"....Eggs Benedict with Crabmeat! Yummy. Matt the AM restaurant manager was very attentive and went out of his way to get us driving directions to local sites.

All in all a great stay in a cute town, i highly recommend!

Reviewed 8 November 2009

Our previous stay had much to be desired, especially in the restaurants, but the Asam family are trying very hard to rectify these problems. We are use to "little problems" that occur in lodging. Yes, there were a few problems, most notably a bidet that didn't work properly, however, the room was beautiful, well maintained and luxurious. The Rathskellar was quaint and homey, The food was delicious, and the brunch was out-of this-world. The staff were very professional, and accommodating. I hope that the management keeps listening to the needs of their patrons.