All reviews potomac river infinity pool german food gas fireplace luxury room crab cakes wild game presidential suite antietam battlefield west virginia view room sauerbraten theater festival small balcony old world the main dining room harpers ferry
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We acquired our reservation through a donation by the Asams which they graciosly donated as a fundraiser. Having traveled extensively we are moderately decerning in our expectations. As a result we believe the professionalism and attentiveness of the staff can certainly buffer any shortcomings of the establishment. Needless to say, we found the staff of the Bavarian Inn well polished.

We were greeted warmly and efficiently by the front desk. After we settled into our charming, accommations we went to the dining room for a late lunch. Our server was personable, friendly and could explain the menu so there were no 'surprises'. The portions were more than adequate, the wine nicely chilled, and the breads were authentic and delicious.

After a tour through town and a bit of shopping, we enjoyed a bottle of wine before dinner on our balcony overlooking the river. The surroundings were quiet and peaceful.

Dinner was another positive experience. The server, food and wine selections were all very satisfactory. We heard the apple strudle was 'excellent' so we certainly wanted to taste this since my finance' was born in Austria and lived in Germany . Though it was not 'athentic' without the filo, it was tasty just the same.

We have to add that the Asams also own the Mimslyn Inn in Luray. Va. A very differnet venue but well worth the trip.

Our take-aways: the restaurant manager Gabriel was very attentive, all senior staff well-trained, and we could definely feel and see the 'hands-on' presence of the owners and especially David Asam. He was everywhere doing whatever was needed to ensure things ran smootly and the guests AND staff had their needs met.

You cannot go wrong staying at The Bavarian Inn nor The Mimslyn Inn.

Reviewed 19 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a trip to Harper's Ferry & Antietam Battlefield. (We opted for a room with a fireplace and whirlpool tub for a little more relaxation.) I couldn't access reservations on their website for some reason and was put on hold on several different occasions for an inordinate amount of time while trying to book our room over the phone. After booking I called back to see if the pool was open for the season and was left on hold with no one ever returning to the phone. I knew from reviews that the rooms would be outdated - I expected the pink bathroom fixtures, etc. - but I did also expect them to be clean. There was toothpaste smeared on the wall from the previous guests, dirt & hair on the bathroom floor, spiderwebs in the corner of the room, etc. I left the "service room" card on the door hoping it would be spruced up while we were out, and when I returned the bathroom floor was just as dirty as when we had checked in (plus I could see where I had dropped some makeup) and obviously hadn't been cleaned; I had left my hotel-provided robe in the soiled towel pile because the sleeves had gotten wet, and it had been picked up out of the dirty towels and hung up on the back of the door instead of replaced; the soap they provide has exfoliating granules in it that were still all over the tub from where I had taken a bath...I could go on and on. Someone basically brought in a few fresh towels and called it a day. Speaking again of the dated fixtures, the whirlpool tub was SO LOUD that my husband came in from the next room to see what in the world I was doing in there and why it was drowning out the television. I tried to call down several times for dinner reservations and was either transferred without a word from the desk attendant (not even a "hold please," just a click) or couldn't get through... All in all it was a pretty dismal experience. The dinner was okay but there are better places to eat in the area (Yellow Brick Bank was our dining high point). Our server at the Bavarian Inn's dinner was excellent (Darla) and the bartender (Ben) was top-notch and helped compensate for the poor room experience. Brunch had many offerings and was very European. Location and view are top-notch and Shepherdstown has some very unique shops on German Street that we really enjoyed, but we won't stay at the Bavarian Inn on any subsequent trips to the area.

2  Thank Anna M
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My wife and I, celebrating our wedding anniversary, were looking forward to a relaxing night away from home. We were greeted by Inattentive front desk staff that on three occasions were told the stay was being paid by a gift card. Who proceeded to drain my checking (debit) account without my knowledge, during my stay. The restaurant menu selection was adequate yet overpriced for the quality. Food was served with sides that were cold, a good indicator the backroom staff were poorly trained. The room with a gas fireplace was quaint. However, the "romantic" bathroom needed an update. A 2 star restaurant, 3 star room with a 1 star undertrained staff and management.

2  Thank Beentherealso
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband and I stayed overnight at The Bavarian Inn after we spent the day touring the Antietam Battlefield. Our final destination was The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, WV.

The Bavarian Inn was great. A little kitchy, yes -- but a lovely hotel with large rooms, incredibly comfortable beds and great views. We stayed in one of the river view rooms. These rooms are worth the extra $$ if you will have the chance to spend a few minutes on the balcony. The balcony is not large but it does have two chairs and a little table. We sat outside for a half hour in the evening, had a glass of wine and enjoyed the view of the river.
After a long day -- it was great to have dinner at the pub (casual, warm atmosphere). The food was good. The service excellent (admittedly there were only a few patrons).
I wasn't sure if this would be the right hotel for us -- the reviews are very mixed -- but we took a chance and I'm glad we did. This isn't the Four Seasons but it is a nice little hotel.

Date of stay: April 2009
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary weekend. The room was horribly dated, dirty, and in poor condition. We were welcomed by light bulbs being burnt out, a dusty room, a pink toilet and tub, stained vanity, paper thin walls(the room next door had a child, who woke up at 6:00am and started crying) and broken bathroom fixtures.
Also, the shower was equipped with a "nursing home style" washing seat that took up most of the shower not giving anyone the option to stand in the shower- ick. I was really disappointed as all the pictures looked quaint and dear. Staff was also a bit mouthy, which was completely unexpected. Please skip this place.

Date of stay: April 2009