See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel October 19th & 20th while in town visiting family. I was very surprised with the cleanliness of the room/hotel. The only thing I would suggest would be to clean all the dead wasps & stinkbugs out of the window sill (in which is the only reason I couldn't give an excellent rating) I am a housekeeping supervisor at a big hotel chain in North Carolina so I do know sometimes the housekeeping staff falls short on detail work in rooms. Sunday, we had a long six-hour drive back home to North Carolina, was running late & totally forgot to leave a tip for Kim. So please pass this thank you on to her for the cleanliness of our room. I can not forget to mention the front desk lady that checked us in on Friday, October 19th. She went above & beyond to welcome me to the area & even offered me a different room to accommodate us more (in which I stuck with room 202)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2016

My sister and I stayed at the Mountaineer Inn for two nights for a memorial service for our father. The staff (all of them) were terrific and very helpful. There may not be a coffee pot in the room but coffee is available in the lobby 24/7. We both brought our dogs and there was a beautiful yard for them to use. Most people are considerate of their animals waste and we had no problem. I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2016

I have stayed at many hotels over my time but, the Mountaineer Inn was the WORST I have ever experienced. I was in town for a family funeral and even though these may seem like complaints, they are the honest facts. Forget about an email reservation confirmation since they told me on the phone they don’t have a computer at the front desk. The hotel does not show up on any GPS I had so you may need to ask for directions from locals in town. The non-descript brick building sits on a pot hole filled parking lot next to a self storage unit with zero landscaping. After walking past the chain-smoking employees next to the uninspiring entrance door, you enter the tiny “Lobby” that consist of two chairs, a 30” flatscreen TV and a turtle tank for ambiance. There is no elevator so if you have health issues or a wheel chair and no rooms are available on the first floor you are out of luck when dragging your luggage up the steps at the ends of the building. The sign out front says the Philippi Inn, the internet mentions the Philippi Super 8, the name on the building is the Mountaineer Inn and the signs inside read the Budget Inn, which is it? Who knows? When we entered our room the smell was so bad we asked to be moved but returned that key as well since the replacement room was smaller and stunk just as bad. We attempted to open the filthy windows that have not been cleaned in years for ventilation just to find piles of dead stink bugs in the sill and live ones walking on the screens. After picking up more dead stink bugs throughout the room overlooked by the house cleaning vacuum I took a picture of the huge hole in the wall left by what the front desk told me was caused by a disgruntled maintenance man making sure we were not charged for the existing damages. We were confused by the sign on the inside of our door listing rates from $200/day for 1 person to $350/day for 4 persons not sure why it remained there since our room rate was $67. You are limited to 48 cable channels and forget any pay per view movies or sports as options. We couldn’t figure out why there were two identical Italian villa prints on the wall above the beds. Maybe they bought a gross for decoration to compliment the 50+ year old furniture. There is no hair dryer, no coffee maker, no coat closet, just a hanger bar next to the bed and no in-room safe. Bring your own bath supplies to this Budget Motel since the only thing supplied is a single thin bar of soap. They tried passing off the small scratchy hand towels as full bath towels so bring those also. The Wi-Fi consisted of the box and wires nailed to the hallway wall outside of our room. Not sure if it worked since we did not log into it. There are no security card readers so anyone can enter undetected through the propped open side exit emergency doors from a dark unlit alley. You won’t find electronic security cards here for your room, just a door key easily copied and scotched taped to a plastic key chain. Take everything with you when you leave because anyone who stayed here prior to you can copy the door key and re-enter your room if you step out. There was a town wide power outage in the early morning so the electric company could work on infrastructure problems. When we arrived on Friday I asked when they were informed of the planned loss of power. The desk told me they found out on Wednesday which was a lie because the person at city hall told me officials personally called every business in town at least a week earlier. The hotel failed to mention it to anyone making a reservation. During the power outage all emergency exit signs and lighting failed to work. We stayed in a room in the middle of the building on the second floor where there are no windows for light and no emergency lighting was activated telling me that there is no battery backup for these systems. I believe that is a major fire code violation. While leaving my room the hall was pitch dark as I had to feel my way down the hall to the end and stumble down the dark stairwell to exit the building. If there were ever a fire in this old motel smoke could fill the hallways with no ventilation and no emergency lighting for people to escape. As I expressed my concerns about staying at a hotel with no emergency systems with my family including my 4 month old son, I said we would not be staying the second night and needed to leave a couple of hours past typical checkout time right after the funeral. We would have left earlier if possible. As I mentioned I will only be paying for the single night stay the General Manager, Norma, screamed at me, and I quote, “Just get yo stuff and get out!” This is the type of customer service awaits your stay. After the funeral as I attempted to check out GM Norma would not print an itemized bill until AFTER I paid. AAA needs to reassess their score on this facility so don’t believe the OK approval ratings. On a positive note the bathroom was clean, there was a small microwave and college fridge in the room but nothing else in this place. I feel bad for the friendly country folk in town that have to admit this facility is a part of their community. They did allow a pet dog for an extra $20 per day but tried to get it in cash from me separate from my room bill probably to pocket the extra fee and avoid paying taxes on the revenue. The Mountaineer Inn may be the only motel in town but, spend the extra money for a professionally run hotel outside of the area and steer clear of this hazard until major changes occur. The cheap cost and convenient location is not worth it.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel, period.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here a few times and it seem to have gone down hill. We always brought our dog and things were good. But on our last visit they said no dogs aloud. Well I understand why because some visitors let their dogs poo all over the sidewalks. But now we all have to pay for others who just dont care about what they do or let happen on the property.
One thing I did notice was , we were there 4 days and nights and the dog poo was never removed with in the time we were there. Yes, I feel the owner of the dog/dogs should have did the cleaning up but if they would not then the Hotel stuff should have. Other than this the place is a nice place. The housekeeping stuff need to clean the bathrooms much better and things that need fixed should be looked at.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2016

I came to visit my son and watch him play Lacrosse at AB. Since we live over 8 hours away, this was the closest hotel available. It's been a quiet 2 nights. This is a no frills hotel, but it is clean. My room faced the back so my view was of the hillside. No lights gave me a dark room which I loved. It would have been nicer if the towels were softer. I like line dried towels but these were very scratchy. I got a nice rate booking online.

Room Tip: Rooms 108-118 face the back, there are no security lights so my room was nice and dark. Windows open but no screens to keep anything out.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo