“Another Experience I Didn't Need”

Tudor's Biscuit World
Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Dunbar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - Approximately 9:30am. We are coming down the West Virginia turnpike, leaving from Chillocothe, Oh this morning. We left early and hadn't had any breakfast. We wanted to clear the turnpike first.

We happened upon Biscuit World in Dunbar. Sometimes, these little hole in the wall places need to be avoided for a very good reason.

First off the business is split in two, sharing a building between them. One side is Biscuit World, the other side is Gino's Pizza. Biscuit World is for breakfast and Gino's is for lunch and dinner. You can enter from two sides, either directly into Biscuit World or through the door to Gino's. You have a shared dinning room.

We went up to the counter and looked over the menu. There were plenty of things to choose from, but that doesn't mean they're any good. I went with an old favorite "Biscuits and Gravy" with a side of hash browns. I brought my own water. My husband got the "Super Breakfast" which consisted of two eggs, one sausage patty, home fries, one biscuit, a side of gravy and some baked spiced apples (out of a can). He also got a RON which was a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit and a medium coffee.

Okay, first things first.

My side order of hash browns was in fact one hash brown patty. Stale. They asked my husband how he wanted his eggs for his super breakfast. He said "Sunny side up", they said NO - that's a health code violation. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. Health code violation? How does that work? The waitress wasn't capable of explaining it. She stated that they could serve them over easy. He fussed at her about that and took the over easy eggs. The coffee was in a small cup, but they called it medium. The home fries were dry and barely even warm, the apples were good. The eggs were okay, the sausage was okay. The biscuit was dry and hard to chew. The inside of the biscuit was okay. The biscuits and gravy were edible and that's about it.

Now, for the dining room.

The tables and seats were filthy. We had to wipe down the table and seats before we could sit down. My seat had what looked like syrup on it. The table was completely filthy and had not been touched.

While we were doing their work for them, the waitress came over with our food and tried putting it down on the table while we are cleaning it. Did she offer to help? NO. Did she apologize? NO. She just wanted to dump off the food. And when we sat down and looked at what she brought she had forgotten the RON. My husband had to go back and ask for it at the counter.

The other customers.

There was a table with an adult and a kid. The kid was crawling all over the place and banging on the table with the silverware. Very annoying. Then a family comes in, a man and woman and 3 more kids. At first they sit in the middle of the dining room and then they move to the booth right behind us. The woman had a deep bronchial cough and was coughing perpetually. The kids were crawling all over the adults and the table and booth and no one did anything about it. I figured they would be in our booth before long.

We ate quickly and left. It was a miserable. miserable breakfast. I won't ever EVER eat there again - even if the food were FREE, I would reject it.

For this miserable experience, it cost us $16.96 out the door.

Food cost breakdown -

Biscuits & Gravy - $2.89
Super Breakfast - $6.49
Ron - $3.49
Side order of Hash Browns - $1.59
Medium Coffee - $1.39

What an unfortunate waste of time, money and effort.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I had driven by LOTS of highway blue attraction signs over the years with the yellow and black logo for Tudor's Biscuit World, but had never stopped there - usually opting for Subway..

On a recent road trip through West Va. to see my folks in Maryland, my son persuaded me to stop at about 10 am for breakfast as we had hit the road early before taking time to eat anything - since we were not in the mood for lunch yet - we decided to give Tudor's a try... we were well rewarded..

Most of the menu at TBW centers around biscuit sandwiches - you can get them with ingredients like eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, ham, hash browns, baloney - stacked on in almost any combo of 2-4 ingredients.. they have clever names like "the Rocket" - or the Politician - which is full of baloney!

The biscuits are large and fresh, obviously made recently on site from scratch - just awesome! Biscuits are not HARD to make - but if they are not fresh and made with care, they can be seriously awful - these were seriously good - would have been delicious even just with butter and honey or jam.

The ingredient items were cooked well - hash browns and bacon crispy, eggs soft...

curiously one of the items I tried had a real slice of American Cheese melted on (good) - while the other had "cheese sauce" from a jar (I do NOT care for that) - but in general quality was high..

We each had two sandwiches and were STUFFED until dinner time - each sandwich costs about $3-4 - a good bargain - coffee and Pepsi products available with free refills..

Counter Service was efficient and pleasant - the order came out in about 5 minutes - bathrooms were clean - road stop style décor for sure, but no complaints really

SO: If you are on the road and want some good stick to your ribs home cooking style breakfast - at any time of day - TBW is a great value - and convenient - they are located within 1 mile of the interstate at about 75% of the highway exits in central W.V. Our meal really hit the spot!

Reviewed 14 September 2016

Great southern food. Good prices. Clean. Friendly. Close to our hotel. Easy access to interstate. Would truly recommend.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Quick, convenient and lots of good food. Tudor's Biscuit World is a great place to stop for consistently good and very reasonable priced eats. No frills; just a nice, clean restaurant to grab a bite and get back on the highway. I wish we had one closer to home, but I guess that it why this stop is always one of the things I look forward to when it available on out itinerary.

Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

The good: old fashioned big honked biscuits, fast, good value

The Bad: mixed neighborhood, beat up interior, messy exterior

It's a nice fast food joint with tasty food. The service is fast and friendly. My son and I both enjoyed our cholesterol bombs very much.

The road word: worth the drive from the interstate