“Quite Enjoyable”

Smoke House
Ranked #53 of 288 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 19 May 2018

We expected delicious food and we received it. We were surprised by the kind, friendly service and impeccably clean restrooms.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Since we discovered the Smoke House we are there at least once a week. The hot dogs are amazing as is the service. We often get to go orders to take to my elderly mom and she loves the Rueben sandwich. Macaroni salad is really good and the Gouda Cheese bites are great. I will eventually try more of the menu but for now I enjoy my weekly hot dogs.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

After hearing such good things about Smokehouse, we decided to stop in on a Saturday, around 2:00 pm, for lunch. We parked in the back (free convenient parking!) and entered through the rear doors. Upon entering the building, we were stunned to discover that this place has TONS of space/sitting area. We snaked our way past the bar which had a few patrons engaging in pleasant conversations and up to the front of the store, happily greeted, and seated at our booth. As with most eateries, 2p to 5p is a slow time and so we were the only customers in the large dining room (separate from the large room we entered and bar).

The waitress happily answered our questions about certain items (i.e. biggest sellers, what is pepper cheese bites, etc) and was very attentive during our whole experience. We decided to order more food than any 2 people could ever eat in one sitting, as we couldn't make up our minds with so many options and we wanted to share everything. He ordered a hamburger with fixins, hotdog with fixins, a cup of chili with cornbread, pepper cheese bites, and a sweet tea. I ordered philly steak and cheese with fixins, gouda mac-n-cheese bites, and a glass of water.

Within 5 minutes of us ordering, the first item came out: the bowl of chili with cornbread. I am not much of a chili person but this chili was perfect. It wasn't overly meat, overly beans, overly spicy, overly tomato-chunked. The chili was hearty and I think I saw white beans instead of red or kidney. The cornbread was moister/spongier than most cornbread we've had, but it complimented the chili so well. Delicious!

Shortly after finishing the chili, our main dishes were brought out. We started out trying the pepper jack cheese bites and gouda mac-n-cheese bites. And frankly, the gouda mac-n-cheese destroyed the pepper cheese bites in all categories. Not that the pepper cheese wasn't delicious, it was - but the gouda mac-n-cheese bites were gooey, smokey, evenly crisp and just downright delicious. An explosion of flavor and a must-get for our next visit. I could literally just order these for my main meal and be happy with just that.

I tried my philly steak and cheese next. I am always hesitant in ordering philly steak and cheese due to past experiences of the sandwich being too greasy, too much mayo, dry or soggy bread, or overly cooked dry meat. Well, whomever prepared my sandwich knew what they were doing. Not only was the sandwich gooey with cheese but the bread was fresh, meat-to-toppings (tomato, lettuce, peppers, onions, mushrooms) proportioned equally, and mayo was just enough. I could ACTUALLY taste all parts of the sandwich equally without bursts of random toppings or condiments. I was THRILLED and so was he.

He took a bite of the hotdog (slaw and chili, no onions) first and was pleased with the flavors. He says that if you like hotdogs, you won't be disappointed.

And then he moved onto the hamburger (lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, no mayo) and was surprised to find a hand-pressed burger. Not a frozen perfectly round burger, but a hand-pressed home-cooked style hamburger on the grill. It was fresh, juicy, not too too thick or thin, and filling. Delicious!

While finishing up, I needed to use the restroom and I have to say this: I judge places by my restroom experience. These folks know how to clean a restroom and keep it clean. I swear, that was the cleanest restaurant bathroom I have seen in a long time. 5 stars for that!

For dessert, we opted for a slice of peach cobbler and pecan pie to-go. Upon checking out, we noted a sign saying something like "beer served with meals only". It's nice to know that beer is an option, but the place isn't a bar. As we were leaving, we were asked about our experience presumably by the owners. That was a nice touch before leaving.

After getting home, we opened our dessert boxes. The peach cobbler was SO GOOD! Perfectly sweet and peachy, not overly sugared. And the crust was light. The pecan pie was perfect. The crust was fluffy and the pecan filling was not overly thick or dense with just enough sweetness.

In conclusion, the Smokehouse is definitely more than meets the eye! What a neat find and dining option to have in the area - for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! And a perk: because of the available space for a large group and our positive experience, we may be coming back with friends for birthdays, etc which the owners said they'd be happy to accommodate.

We'll definitely be back for that gouda mac-n-cheese!

Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

Got burgers, hot dogs, fries. Hot dogs were just ok, but the burgers definitely made up for it! Great staff and very involved owner. Will be back!

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Went to Smokehouse today for lunch..... I ordered something off the menu - grilled bacon, cheese and tomato..... they made it and it was very good. Had fried onions with it .... also good, maybe a little greasy ?
My sons hamburger and fries were good.
Place for lunchtime get-togethers where I could see that it is frequented by locals.
Lots of staff working there, and service was good and fast.