Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream
Ranked #2 of 7 Dessert in Charleston
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 16 September 2017

No other words - this place has great ice cream and a nice roomy and bright place to eat. Inside and outside seating availab.e

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Ellen's is one of the rare places where authentic home-made ice cream is served, made in-house from propriety recipes, in addition to light luncheons and a range of coffee choices similar to Starbucks. The ice cream is widely considered, including this writer, to be the best ice cream in the Charleston area. The location on historic, tree-lined Capital Street adds to the laid-back ambiance. The best restaurants in Charleston offer Ellen's ice cream as part of their dessert menus. You absolutely can't go wrong with an ice cream treat at Ellen's. BJG

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Another unpopular opinion here, but I think this place is good at best. I really like the decor and the staff is great, but ordering and paying is always awkward. I've never had anything bad, but I've never had anything I wanted to go out of my way to get again. It's definitely a place I'll visit when I'm in the area because I haven't found anywhere better yet.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I'm an ice cream aficionado and try to taste local ice creams whenever we travel. Ellen's certainly hit the mark. The espresso oreo was flavorful and not full of yucky white part of the oreo and the mocha almond was full of almonds - big bonus! Ellen was extremely kind and present and took the time to chat about the area as well as the ice cream. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Food and ice cream great. Parking Permit employee and parking lot employee nearby were also very helpful and pleasant.