“Nice addition to Charleston”
Review of Rio de Grill

Rio de Grill
Ranked #28 of 300 Restaurants in Charleston
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

Overall, I'm glad to have this restaurant as another option in Charleston. The salad bar isn't quite up to par with the national chains like Texas de Brazil or Fogo de Chao, but the meats are reasonably well-prepared. The picanha is as tasty as I've had anywhere. The service is warm and attentive. I read another review saying they are stingy with the meat. That wasn't my experience at all. Our server knew the picanha was our favorite and brought it around SIX times. You won't experience that at a national chain. Do they have room for improvement? Yes. Is it a business worth supporting in the local community? Yes. At least they are trying to offer something other than the Ryan's alluded to in another review. Charleston gets what it deserves. Please give this place a chance.

I know the caipirinhas are awesome (I asked them to add them to their drink menu and gave them the recipe when they first opened). I was surprised at my next visit that they actually took my suggestion and added the drink. The point of telling you this is, I believe they are open to constructive criticism. I believe with time, they can be as good as the national chains. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to drive to Columbus?

Date of visit: December 2016

Reviewed 11 November 2016

I went into this with great expectations. I've eaten at many churrasco style restaurants across the country like Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil and decided to check this new one one out, even after they dropped their announced affiliation with Rodizio Grill. That should have been my first clue.

The renovated interior and atmosphere was very nice.

Foodwise, it was needs a lot of work.

The salad bar was just weak. Typical salad fixings with a smattering of odd buffet style choices for a restaurant like this. Goulash? Beef Stroganoff? Just weird. Ordinary pasta and potato salad.
No smoked salmon or fresh cheeses.
Shoney's had a better salad bar.

As for the meats, beef chicken and pork are usually the order of the day at a place like this. Except this one has strange Chinese restaurant influenced choices as well. Grilled shrimp and grilled tilapia seem like odd choices.

My favorite is always the picanha, but I was kind of disappointed here. It was all WAY too rare (all the selections were) and most were underseasoned. Some slices of the picanha were actually cool in the middle.

The pork loin was delicious as was the bacon wrapped chicken

Very skimpy portions though. You practically had to beg for more than one thin slice of meat.

Service was good, however the carvers could learn a little table etiquette. I felt a little uneasy when one cut towards me several times while he was carving. And they shouldn't reach across diners to serve others at the table. Walk around the table. Don't make someone reach across another person.

Dessert wise, I wish I hadn't wasted my time. They're the same pre-prepared, pre-sliced choices you find at every Asian restaurant in town. Most were dry and rubbery, as if they had been sitting out all day.

The all you can eat buffet is big in West Virginia but at $27.99 weekdays and $29.99 weekend for dinner, most people are going to opt for Golden Corral.

Could be a pretty good place but it needs work on the offerings and presentation.
All in all it just came off as a hybrid Asian/Hillbilly attempt at a Brazilian steakhouse.

Date of visit: November 2016
2  Thank Surly-Hillbilly
Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Oh yes they have the MEAT and more. It's well worth the price for sure. The Brazilian Steakhouse offers a variety of good food and a great atmosphere as they have a salad and fruit bar with some soups and other offerings. But the MEAT is where it is at! Be sure to turn your marker to green and Tom and Isaac, very personable young men and great to talk too, will supply your dinner with 14 different MEATS. From chicken wrapped in bacon or the drumstick, to pork ribs and loin with a helping of lamb combined with Italian and Bahamamma Sauage and finishing it up with shrimp or tilapia and the kickers are the different offerings of beef - Picanha, Beef top-side, Sirloin Steak and Garlic or pepper Tenderloin, this meal will leave you fulfilled and appease your appetite. They supply dessert, a deep fried banana with powdered sugar or any of they pies and cookies at the dessert bar area. Try the Brazilian drink of choice, Caipirinha, mostly rum with some brown sugar and lime juice. This place is sure to be a hit in Charleston. Well done!

Date of visit: October 2016

Been to Rio de Grill? Share your experiences!