“Great food, ambience and service could use some help”

Great Shang Hai Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 323 Restaurants in Yakima
Reviewed 11 June 2017

The food portions are really substantial and while prices have crept up a little, its still a bargain. Some of the food is Americanized Chinese and frankly won't be "deep fried" enough if your idea of great Chinese is what is passed off in many restaurants. Their pork fried rice is awesome, not because it has frozen peas and carrots in it (it doesn't--that's gross) because its what fried rice should taste like. It is obvious many things are made in house including the BBQ pork, their soups and many other items by cooks trained in Chinese cuisine. Yes, there are actual fresh vegetables in their dishes. If you know how to actually order Chinese food vs. asking for a #6, you will be pleased. If you are used to a plate of deep fried everything, it may not make you happy. The ambience of the place is straight from the 1970s and can be depressing. It is clean, but its definitely ancient. Also, when its less busy, it can be awkwardly quiet, no background music, no other sounds, except the occasional conversation in Chinese between the front of house and back of house. Those perceiving "yelling" may not realize that Chinese is spoken based on intonation so what might be thought to be yelling, is quite normal. And yes, actual Chinese people are working there so cultural differences on display and sometimes Chinese people can be quite brusque which some might interpret as rude. But so can Americans, Mexicans and people of all backgrounds. Honestly, if you know what to order, you will get the best authentic Chinese food you can get in Yakima. If you think Safeway or Panda Express are great authentic Chinese, I suggest you stick to eating there. Service is always fast.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank DBinYak

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Yes, it's true. The portions are enormous. Tasty food! I liked that fact that when I asked for spicy, I got Spicy! That means perspiration and happiness...The hot and sour soup was the best I have ever had in Yakima. Will be splitting an order of whatever with my spouse in the future.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 26 March 2017

There is not much to eat in regards to Chinese in Yakima. Great Shang Hai is one of the best in the city. The servers were cordial and food was prompt. Decent flavor.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

We called in an order.
When we went to pick it up, the food was already up front. The food was cold when we got back to the house to eat. The food was not that great. The lady at the counter was very rude to us for no reason. We won't be back.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Jill S
Reviewed 21 January 2017

The food here is cheap to buy, which is great, but you have to deal with the lady who either runs it or owns it and she is rarely in a good mood and pleasant. The quality of the food seems to have improved over the last year, but the portions have decreased and this is NOT a place to go for healthy food. If I was rating just on the food, I'd give it a 3. However, yesterday my friend and I went in and I asked for my rice on the side. The waitress said that they can't do that, it comes on the plate-then went and got the grumpy lady who asked if she could help and I said I would like the rice on the side, because I don't eat rice-and really just wanted to give the rice to my friend. She said they can't do that, it comes on the plate and they can't put it on a different plate. My friend said, "yes, you can put it on a different plate." She again said no, they can't do that. I asked her to cancel my order and my friend decided to cancel her order (mind you-they hadn't gone to the chef yet) and the lady said fine and charged us a $1 for the tea the brought to our table, but we hadn't had time to drink. I don't think this is an especially complicated/abnormal or weird request. Given that the food isn't in any remotely sense of the word healthy (which I prefer) and that you have to deal with this lady, there's no way I would recommend this business and will not be returning. There are plenty of other more healthier, more friendly, and more accommodating Chinese restaurants in Yakima. BTW-When you order the food "to go" it comes in different boxes. So yes, then CAN separate it.

Date of visit: January 2017