“Cozy”

River's Edge Resort
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We stayed in a one bedroom cottage and it was perfect. Very cozy, well stocked with a complete kitchen. A propane stove and hot tub on the deck. What more could you ask for?
It was really pretty in the fall with the color changing and leaves falling and there were even deer right outside our cabin.
It's in town so you can walk everywhere. A perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: The cabins in the river are best for a view
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2017

If it were possible to give half stars, I would give this location a 3.5 star review. Let me explain:

Reservations were frustrating to say the least. I used Booking.com and apparently that is a mistake with this property. I had made an adjustment to my stay and received a confirmation back several weeks before my stay. When it was within two weeks of the stay, I received a notice from booking.com that I was being charged a deposit for my ORIGINAL reservation and not the confirmed one I had. Long story short, even though I had a confirmation from booking.com, that was NO GOOD for the property since it was NOT THEIR confirmation number! So, we wound up cutting our trip short because there was no availability now. I called the property and they told me I should have made the reservation through them. In the end, the property gave me $20 off per night to make up for the problem. Unfortunately, we missed the sunny weather on the day we would have been there and instead had rainy weather to do a hike on the way over from Tacoma,WA. So, if you book here, ensure that you either do it direct or call and double check that they really do have your reservation!!!!

The property was described as a three bedroom and it is really more of a two bedroom with a open loft. Provides great views of the river, but since there is no curtain between the loft and the front room/kitchen area, and there are no curtains on the windows looking at the river, you may want to keep that in mind with sleeping arrangements.

The main bedroom is on the first floor with a King bed, the second bedroom is upstairs with two single beds, and the loft area has a queen bed. Note, there is a curtain between the loft and the upstairs bedroom.

Noise can be an issue. The people staying next to us (cabins are about three feet apart and their hot tub is next to the kitchen area of our unit) were having a good time and making a lot of noise that is NOT blocked out. So, if you were looking for a nice quiet evening, guess again. They did quiet down at 10PM. Because the cabins are close and the decks are connected, people can also wander from one to the other cabin. So, do not be surprised if you see someone on the deck.

I am guessing that people can be very hard on the cabins since there were many hasty repairs done on towel bars and walls. We had a problem with a couple of items and the staff was quick to try and resolve those problems.

The Internet connection worked, but was only measured at 0.5 megabits of up and downlink capability. That is ok for e-mail, but slow for reading a paper or doing Facebook. It can be very slow for uploading pictures or doing any type of business work. My cell phone was 7 times faster for Internet connection speeds. I had reset the router in the room and that did not help. It is possible that they were recovering still from a power outagage the night before we arrived, so speeds may normally be better.

Speaking of power outages, one of the things NOT mentioned on the website is the fact that the entire valley loses power four times a year for 6 to 10 hours. It is scheduled and happens on a quarterly basis. So, power was out the night before we arrived from 10PM until 6AM. If you have an oxygen machine or other medical device, ensure you check on the outage or ensure you have enough battery backup.

The location for the property is excellent as it is easy walking distance to just about anything in the main part of town. The main grocery store is outside of the downtown area and you may want to drive there.

The gas fireplace is a nice feature, but it is turned off during the summer. It is turned on late in September, so it was available for our stay.

We did not use the hot tub, but can attest that daily staff would walk along the back deck to each unit and unlock the cover of the hot tub and check the water quality. So, they are very diligent about keep up with that feature.

Lighting is a mix of halogen, compact fluorescent, and LED. The lighting is bright, warm and very well done.

As long as you book direct, I would recommend the property.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2017

The gal who checked us in was rude to us to begin with. My guess is that 3 couples traveling on Harley's were "scary" to her. We are all in our 50's, law abiding and all have respectable professional jobs. Nonetheless, we declared there were 7 people in our party rather than 6, paid the additional charge and went to our cabin. We invited a friend of ours that lives in Winthrop to come over and visit. We were on the back deck, 8pm eating dinner and listening to music when we were abruptly interrupted by yet another VERY RUDE person who shook a piece of paper in my face and charged us with "disorderly conduct" and said if we didn't shut the noise down in 5 minutes that they would evict us. She also said we had 8 people in the cabin and were only allowed 7. We told her one guest was visiting and lived in Winthrop. We immediately shut the music off and came into the cabin. I checked my bank account and realized even BEFORE she came down to our cabin she charged my credit card $250. She had mentioned that people were smoking on the deck. NOBODY was smoking on the deck. We have 2 smokers in our group. Two very respectable smokers - they not only went down below the deck to smoke, they went out towards the river so the smoke didn't waft up to the deck. I feel that we were targeted from the moment we arrived because we were "bikers". This place is clearly NOT biker friendly. I would never stay here again. The cabin itself was very nice, but the customer service (or lack thereof) was hideous. My husband and I left at 10pm to drive 3.5 hours home. I've left a voicemail for them to rectify this situation and still haven't heard anything from them. Please beware of their practices, they will overcharge your credit card for everything - not returning the key TO THE OFFICE, $50 for every 15 minutes you stay past check out time......clearly they make alot of money off of these charges. Horrible experience.

Room Tip: Cabins ON the river are a great location, but don't plan on "talking out loud" after 8...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in cabin 16 It has everything you need,We used the kitchen no need to go out ..The only thing It would have been better would more privacy sourounding the sides of deck .. A BBQ would have been nice ..The view of the River was fantastic and relaxing....The Hot tub really was a nice touch ..

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived in Winthrop w/out a reservation or any idea where to stay and just stumbled into this gem. Bedroom plus living room with small kitchen that has all the basics. Coffee, spices, napkins etc. Larger cabins are available for families.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple