“One of few great southern restaurants near Seattle!”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #33 of 840 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed 29 January 2015

This restaurant was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and I can see why. The food was very typically and authentically southern. Wouldn't recommend eating here if you are on a diet. The fried okra are great, as well as the fried green tomatoes. I had the fried catfish with greens and yams and it was delicious. Definitely show up hungry. Word to the wise, this place only services (very) big sugary drinks and soda/water. No alcohol served.

1  Thank Lulu2828

Reviewed 28 January 2015 via mobile

French Toast with Bacon & fresh OJ was Excellent. My friend ordered the veggie omelet & grits and was very happy. Quite a few people were ordering catfish & fried chicken at 10am and looked very happy as well. The staff is Fantastic & no real wait for Excellent food - will definitely be back soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2015

Good homemade breakfast spot in downtown Tacoma. Good size menu, have to try the catfish next time we're thru. French toast was excellent. Parking is a bit tough.

Reviewed 21 December 2014

OMG! This place rocks. We ate so much food I could barely move to get out of the place. It is a small place with great food and friendly people. Drinks are served in a mason jar. My sister and I ordered different plates so that we could try different things and share. We had fried chicken, fried catfish, grits, mashed potatoes with gravy, cornbread stuffing, corn cakes, hush puppies, mac n cheese, and fried green tomatoes. The fried greed tomatoes were fantastic. To top off our overindulgent meal we had the bread pudding. It was to die for. If I am ever in the area again I will be eating here again.

Reviewed 27 November 2014

I really enjoyed this place, it's true southern food in Seattle. The corn bread served at the start of the meal was unusual, it was in pancake form. I had never seen that before. And it was delicious. I had the best chicken fried steak I've had on the west coast here. Service excellent. Highly recommend.