“Classic pub with ok food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Meconi's Tacoma Pub and Eatery
Ranked #332 of 864 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Description: Great food, great happy hour, amazingly good service, close to theatre and museum districts.
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

This really is more of a bar than a pub. But the food is ok. Snacks for drinks mostly. Service is good. Wait staff is friendly.

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

We stopped here for a beer and a bite after the Car Museum. I thought we were getting a booze only place when we walked in. But the food was pretty good and the bartender was knowledgeable about the beers they offer. We ordered the hummus plate. I was impressed to find the it was a very full plate of pita bread, olives, cucumber, tomato, feta and onions. All crunchy and chopped fresh!!

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 19 January 2017

Great beer - 18 on tap. The food is OK, the sub sandwiches are good, great for lunch. But I usually go there for a beer and Hummus plate or garlic fries. I love the atmosphere, historic brick building pub with great old pictures all over the walls and there are some cool planes hanging from the ceiling. My favorite is to sit outside on a nice summer day and have a beer and people watch.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank hbacht
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

After reading the November 2015 review we were prepared to go to another bar to watch the 5th Stanley Cup game; however, the bar staff gave us the remote to put the game on. We only discovered that Guinness didn't count as a draft beer for $1 off after drinking multiple during Happy Hour, which is 3-6pm. They also have good happytisers 3-6pm and 10pm to close. The owner came in during the last period and turned the music up!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 9 November 2015

NEVER AGAIN!!! One extremely obnoxious customer apparently calls all the shots at this place. My husband and I went to Meconi's on a Sunday afternoon to watch a Seattle Sounders game, have a couple of beers and enjoy a Meconi's sub sandwich. Meconi's website indicated that it was featuring the Sounders playoff game, so we figured it would be a great place to catch the match. We walked in about 20-minutes before game-time, and all TVs had football on them. I asked the bartender if they would be putting on the Sounders game, and she asked who the Sounders were. (She was new to the area, and wasn't familiar with the sports teams yet - but was very nice and wanted to learn!). As I was saying this, a rumble came from the table behind me about changing the channel (on ONE of the 7-8 TVs Meconi's has). Evidently, this couple did not want one single TV changed from football to soccer. I shared with them that even the Meconi's website indicated they'd be featuring the soccer game!!! Their response was that they were going to call Dave, the owner. Trying to ignore them, we sat down in front of one of the smaller TVs, ordered a couple of beers, and settled in to wait to watch the game. At this time, this one grumbling man of the couple who said they were calling Dave walked up to the bar and began to berate and really read this new bartender the riot act!!! This poor girl was being verbally abused by a jerk of a customer over the fate of one television!!! His friend tried to calm him down, and said that she'd call Dave, the owner, to straighten things out. She left, and a moment later the bar phone rang - Dave was evidently on the phone with the bartender. She came and changed our one small TV to the Sounders game, but indicated that she would have to leave the football game on the other TVs and we wouldn't be able to hear the Sounders game - she had been instructed to keep the sound on the football game. NOT ideal considering that Meconi's had ADVERTISED that they would be FEATURING the SOCCER game. We ended up leaving after half a beer, not wanting to try to "enjoy" a soccer game on mute because of a fit thrown by a toxic customer acting like a toddler in his "terrible two's."

DAVE - Please respond to this review because the situation escalated with this customer, and I think you should be aware of what he did to us after we left your bar. We have witnesses.

I will never return to Meconi's - a place I've enjoyed coming to in the past - for two main reasons:

1. Meconi's falsely advertised featuring a sports event. Staff did not even know who the team was that they were supposed to be featuring. Simple solution, Meconi's - engage with your staff! Help new out-of-area staff understand the sports teams. (Your bartender was EXTREMELY friendly, and wanted to learn who the Sounders were.) If you're going to advertise that you are giving special billing to a featured sporting event, be prepared to DELIVER and SHOW the featured sporting event in a way that customers can see AND HEAR!!

2. Meconi's owner let ONE TOXIC CUSTOMER dictate how he runs the show and treated all of his other customers!!!! For some reason, Dave, the owner, You felt like you needed to placate and kowtow to this one jerk. Dave - if you heard how poorly this customer treated your new bartender, and what he verbally put her through, you would ask this customer not to come back to your bar. I was truly embarrassed for your bartender, who ended up apologizing to us for what happened - when it was NEVER HER FAULT (we told her so!!).

(I also posted this review on Yelp.)

Date of visit: November 2015