All reviews clam cottage tree house fire pit captain's quarters sequim bay osprey nest wicker chairs paddle boarding nearby trails full kitchen olympic game farm other guests sequim area dungeness spit the cottages tracie cabin
Reviewed 28 September 2017

My summer vacation was all booked & I was looking so forward to a week up at my friends' cabin on Green Lake in the interior of BC. But that all changed when the raging forest fires came close enough to the area that everyone was evacuated with no known return date :-(.

With the time booked off work, I set about searching for another special place to the south where hopefully I would not be engulfed in smoke as I had been over the past week in Vancouver (the wild fire smoke had made it all the way down to the coast!). It was a tall order considering it was high season and my timeframe was only a week away! It was then that I had the good fortune to stumble upon Sunset Marine Resort :-). The Universe was on my side!

I'm a water girl ... if I'm not on a lake, I'm on the ocean so I instantly fell in love with the amazing waterfront location, charming cottages and ultra laid back vibe. Outdoor firepits (bring your own wood or purchase at the resort), BBQs, decks overlooking the water, fun beachy decor, beachwalks, paddle boarding, kayaking AND dog friendly!! When I saw that Clam Cottage was available for my 5 nights, I was ecstatic!

After a few emails back and forth with Tracie (one of the owners) I booked the time and one week later I was lounging in one of the most relaxing, natural spots I've been in ages. Clam Cottage was just as advertised - the water lapped at the shore 10 feet outside my door, the views were spectacular from every room and my private firepit with comfy adirondack chairs was perfect. The kitchen was well equipped with dishes, utensils, etc (if you plan to cook while there you do need to bring along your condiments, spices, etc ). The fridge was a good size and there was a great patio table for 4 just off the deck where I ate every meal. The bed was super comfy and the room was equipped with good blinds which made for nice dark sleeping conditions. The bathroom was small but adequate. There were 2 sitting areas (both with extra sleeping) although I never sat inside as I was lucky to have beautiful weather while there. My porch had 2 big wicker chairs and a fun hanging hammock chair.

My mornings were spent sipping coffee next to the water in the sunshine, fave magazine or book in hand and my pooch, Leo lounging beside me. The days were slow and easy ... beachwalks at low tide, shell & driftwood collecting, more reading, a siesta now & again (wow, what a treat!) and a happy hour something-yummy to accompany the sunset. Dinners were grilled outdoors and enjoyed with that amazing orange sky in the background and then star gazing by the fire finished off the evenings. My visit was reminiscent of many wonderful summer times as a kid ... simpler times when life moved a little slower, nature was so important and there was room to breathe. Just what I needed after a crazy busy few months at work and renovation stress.

The common area by the water was a great little gathering spot ... I met a few of the other guests while there that were lovely & at the same time I relished in the privacy of my little cottage by the sea. Tracie & Lavon were genuine, down-to-earth hosts - a phonecall or text away if you needed them but never in your face. The cleaning gal (sorry, I don't remember her name right now) was also warm & welcoming. I loved the quick, easy self check-in & the fact that the cottages/houses were all completely different with lots of space in between.

The best surprise was when Tracie asked halfway thru my stay if I was still interested in adding another nite (to which I replied with a big YES - I just wasn't ready to leave yet & go back to "reality"!). To top it off, I was invited to join their end of summer gathering of friends at the Boathouse cottage ... welcoming folks & friendly pooches, fresh crab caught by Lavon & an amazing array of other dishes brought by the guests, all enjoyed by the fire with the sunset as the backdrop. What a treat!

If you're looking for a unique, unpretentious getaway, in an authentic Pacific Northwest oceanside setting, this is a great find. It’s not the Ritz or the Four Seasons but it’s definitely 4-star in its own special way!

Hopefully I’ll get to come back for more (with a little luck on the availability – T/L?? :-) with a group of girlfriends summer!

Tracie/Lavon, here's a few little suggestions I think would make the SMR experience in Clam Cottage even better!

- add a lamp of some sort to the sitting area next to the kitchen so the bright overhead lites don't need to be on in the evening. Soft white bulbs in the other fixtures would add to the ambience as well (adding dimmers in a few places would be da bomb!).
- change up the towels to something a little larger and fluffier
- consider supplying the fixings for guests' coffee on the first morning in case they forgot to bring their own! (there's nothing worse for a coffee lover than having to run out to get your first cuppa Joe, especially when you'd rather be relaxing by the water :-)
- add some low level lighting by the patio table/BBQ & tools (oven mitt too)
- a salad spinner and cookie sheet or broiling pan would be great additions to the kitchen. Also a small paring knife.
- the kitchen blind would not stay up but a simple hook on the side to tie it to would do the trick. That view to the water is just too awesome to screen out!

Thanks again for a wonderful visit!

Gail & Leo :-)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank IslandGirl1001
Reviewed 27 September 2017

My wife and I discovered this Gem of a resort a couple of years ago and have been back twice. We have stayed in the Landing and the Osprey's nest. Both cabins were clean, well kept and well stocked with essential items with which to cook, shower and sleep.

As with any cabin trip, we pack our own creature comforts -- a lounging blanket, Bluetooth speaker to stream music and podcasts, a couple of great bottles of wine, good cheese, chocolate and pre-prepped food for cooking.

There is a sweet little grocery store nearby where you can buy fresh meat, veggies, deli items and baked treats.

Lavon and Tracy are lovely and very accommodating to reasonable reservation requests.

For us, this is a great place to decompress from our busy lives. There are a lot good nearby trails, however we usually just lounge around on the cabin deck and read. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017

BEWARE: Tavon and Tracy are the owners of the eight cabins at the Sunset Marine Resort and live in the basement of the Eagles Nest Cabin. As a paying guest, I expected to have peace and quiet as they have advertised. On the last night I was there the owners chose to have a party at the Boathouse Cabin. As I watched everyone arrive, I noticed their friends brought their dogs as well. Before it got dark I counted TEN DOGS and NONE were on a leash. One dog was constantly barking and another was a howler. Also, two dogs got into a fight and no one paid any attention or did anything to correct the situation. I wanted to sit on the dock, relax and watch the sunset but I felt I could not because I wasn’t willing to see what the TEN DOGS off leash would do should I step out of my cabin. I expected to have a peaceful, relaxing stay at Sunset Marine Resort but instead I listened to a loud party until very late in the evening.
They are willing to put their fun and friends first before their PAYING guests. Do not pay to stay here for peace and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank ibainton1921
SunsetMarineResort, Owner at Sunset Marine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Every year at Sunset Marine Resort - toward the end of the summer - we host a gathering of guests, community and friends. We share food, share beauty, and share friendship. This place was built on that idea - 50 years ago - and continues today. It's sad to see a person who - rather than choose to participate among some of the most amazing guests, inspiring local farmers, professionals, artists, and kind individuals in a gathering meant to promote community and sharing - would instead remain anonymous and seek to purposely and publicly hurt people. It's really sad - but we are grateful for all our Resort guests who did join us (with their pups) and for those of you who might be here sometime in late summer - we'll have the crab boiling - and you are invited!
Cheers~
Lavon & Tracie

Reviewed 26 August 2017

I had three relaxing weeks here in August. It was heavenly. Unbelievable views of the Sequim Bay sunsets. Pet friendly. Rustic, inviting, well equipped rentals. The owners, Lavon and Tracie, are the best.

Room Tip: Love the Boat House, Clam Cottage, The Tree House and Eagle's Nest. Have stayed at all but the Boat House.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah K. F
Reviewed 25 June 2017

We couldn't have wished for more from Sunset Marine Resort for our mini-break. The Boathouse is fully stocked with everything to make our stay perfect. From kitchen gear for shucking oysters and cracking Dungeness crab, to toasting forks for marshmallows. The furnishings are comfy and perfectly suited to a home on the water. From our porch swing we watched golden sunsets over the bay with snow-capped mountains in the background. Sitting at the dining table gazing at Sequin Bay and looking out the bedroom window as seals and otters swam by felt like being on a ship. We definitely recommend the resort and The Boathouse and will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
SunsetMarineResort, Owner at Sunset Marine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

So great to have a chance to talk to you both - and glad you enjoyed the Boat House! :) I couldn't remember if we told you that it was once a house boat before it forever became a part or Resort history. We'll be making a few changes eventually - but always with the idea in mind to retain that character. Thanks for staying with us!!
Cheers~