“Sure bet for breakfast and lunch in Port Townsend, WA”
Review of Blue Moose Cafe

Blue Moose Cafe
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 26 October 2016

How could I ever give the Blue Moose a bad review? They get annual prizes for being the best place for breakfast in Port Townsend, and our family members are regulars there when we have company or need to renew acquaintance with our friends who work or eat there. It doesn't hurt that two of our now-grown kids were employed there in the past, and learned good work ethics and cooking, waiting and cleaning skills from the owner and the staff, either, who treat their staff like family (you can see a pic of our blue-haired son on the back wall there). All of the breakfast and lunch offerings are creative, yet tried-and-true, and some are inspired by staff members. Portions are generous, always. I always enjoy the Huevos Rancheros, with the special sauce and avocado slices and mixed potatoes and sweet potatoes (and if you don't have a large appetite, you will order the half portion). The hash, made with REAL corned beef, not the canned kind, is a favorite of many. The Blue Moose is located in the Boat Haven in Port Townsend, and serves local boat workers and sailors, as well as everyone else. Get there early on the weekend, unless you enjoy a long wait. In good weather you can eat outdoors.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

While I would recommend it for breakfast, I was not over-wowed. Folks definitely talked it up, so maybe it elevated my expectations.

I had heard about the biscuits and gravy (which I usually love as a comfort food) I was a little disappointed in the gravy and was expecting it to be more flavorful. Other than those, though, I would equate the meals we had as standard, breakfast fare.

Heads up to all visitors immersed in the debit card society, like we are, it is cash/check only. This resulted in a quick jaunt to Chase bank....

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

We had been told about this little restaurant, read more about it, and decided to try it out for breakfast. It is everything the reviews said- casual, loud, cheerful, somewhat battered and worn, and very friendly. They have several signature dishes- I tried the corned beef hash and liked it, though it was far too much for me to eat. The french toast is dipped in vanilla custard and was delicious, almost a dessert. Good coffee too. Not sure which was more appealing, the food or the ambiance, but give it a try!

Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

Had breakfast with family in May 2016. Heard great thinks about Moose Cafe, all good. Yes, it is more than good, it is great. Fresh, wonderful breakfasts.

Have gone there many times since.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 17 October 2016

The Blue Moose is a Port Townsend institution, located in the heart of the commercial docks and boat building industrial area. Absolutely swamped with guys in flannel shirts and work boots at breakfast time and prime lunch time, but terrific for the rest of us at slightly off peak hours. Simple fare, generous servings, friendly staff and interesting people. It' s a small, intimate space with fun touches like old counter stools from the 50's and other similar unusual decor items.