“Best Sushi on the Peninsula”

Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #38 of 103 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2016

There are few things I find more frustrating than travelling somewhere and trying to find a good sushi restaurant. Finding Ichikawa was a god sent.

This is the best quality sushi you'll get on the entirety of the Olympic Peninsula. It's no grocery store quality, slap-shod, soulless and generic, cheap, Americanized stuff you usually slog through. It has the single most consistent quality I've encountered at any restaurant in the area.

The staff is friendly and attentive and it's delightfully clean.

The only real thing I'd caution about are the hours, not that they're particularly unreasonable, but they are likely different from what you'd expect or hope.

1  Thank hccfl8

Reviewed 26 September 2016

The abundant staff was very friendly and patiently answered my questions about the menu. I wouldn't say it was the best sushi I've ever had, it was average, nothing wrong with it.

1  Thank BJL
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My husband and I have lived in Port Townsend for 11 years and eat at Ichikawa at least a couple of times a year. The place is small, so you may be offered a place at the sushi bar if the tables are all full. But the benefit of the bar is that you get to watch Peter assemble his sushi and rolls. Once when we had some out-of-town visitors we called for a reservation and were offered their special room, where you sit on cushions on the floor. If you have a group of six or so, I highly recommend that option.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

Upon entering the restaurant you will be seated very quickly. There will be a small whiteboard with that days specials, and bento box. Everything I have gotten there has been wonderful. My personal favorites are the Bin Cho Ten and Gin Dara rolls, these do not include raw fish if that is a concern to you. Another great option is the Chili miso seafood plate, which has a wonderfully spicy sauce with hints of peanut, and includes a wide array of different foods whiten it. The atmosphere was pleasant it was not to loud yet conversation felt easy, and not as if anyone else was listening.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Because we were a "large group" they would not allow us to split our check and we had a forced 20% gratuity automatically added to our bill regardless of service. Speaking of service, our waitress made a rookie move and tipped one of the ice water glasses over on our table swamping our friend's iPhone 6s. Thankfully his phone is still working after being doused with water :) I also wanted to note that we were seated in the room with the baby grand piano and a toddler from the table next to us "toddled" on over to it to finger a few of the keys. I couldn't believe how fast the staff member swooped in to berate the child's mother for letting him touch the piano and said "That's why we have a sign on the piano" to which the mother said "My child can't read!" (Awkward!) If it's that important that the piano is not touched, why wasn't the key cover closed? Or better yet, completely cover the instrument so that it is not exposed to unwanted touching and/or food/beverage spills? Or, how about removing it altogether and adding a couple more tables?
The sushi rolls were just ok but we are used to some really good sushi bars in Seattle/Tacoma area. For being in PT, I'm sure they are one of the best in the area. Our friends had a variety of sashimi and were impressed with the size of the scallops, tako and tuna. Their boys both had bento boxes and calamari (excellent) but we couldn't figure out what the dumplings were made of (maybe oysters?) and couldn't get the attention of our waitress to ask her... On second thought, I should have started playing "chopsticks" on the baby grand to get her attention