“We had a great time at the Sands and would for sure go back there.”
Review of The Sands Resort

The Sands Resort
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We read the reviews before going and were a little worried about what had been said but we found the that the room was quite large, had a small kitchen area and the bed was very comfortable, we slept very well there, the room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. The indoor pool was lovely and warm and the hot tubs were wonderful.. We would for sure stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed at the sands March 25,26th. The rates were the cheapest in ocean shores for an ocean veiw 3rd floor room with kitchenette. The room itself was a good size, the small kitchenette was sufficient, wish the bathroom had a fan and better heating !! The king bed was extremly old and uncomfortable,I always check for bed bugs when i stay in lower budgeted motels, the matress was ripped up at almost every corner..... not sure why (just old??) The cable was shotty!! Some channels didnt come in clear. The large picture window had a great veiw, but the frame of the window was falling apart and there was a black sticky substance along the edges!! There was crumbs of some sort in the window seal and a spider as well!! As others have said , the pool was extremly scummy, but the hot tub seemed better!! The contenetal breakfast was ok, yogurt and fruit were good, but the bagels were not!! overall if you have pets its probely good, but I might consider another place to stay next time!!
One last thing they advertise no WIFI in the rooms,but offer it in the lobby. We were on the 3rd floor closest to the lobby (314) and did pick up wifi in the room !

Room Tip: use your entertainment book/card for discount!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trish_206
Reviewed 21 March 2011

we rented a 2 bedroom suite. The room was not worth the 200.00 paid for one night. The window was rigged with a bended wire curtain to open and shut it. The wallpaper was peeling off in a 3 foot sections. when we checked in the room was about 90 degrees and the oven was on. Not very clean. Although the outdoor pool was closed for the season, there were aluminum cans and trash floating in the pool, and the bottom was full of sand. it looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a year. Also the deluxe continental breakfast was not deluxe, it was average at best. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank watraveller79
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed at the Sands Resort during a razor clamming weekend in February. It was the last available pet-friendly room in all of Ocean Shores, so we took what we could get. Turns out, we won’t be going back.

We arrived at the motel with neutral expectations, having read a variety of reviews and understanding that the Ocean Shores area in general is pretty run down. Check-in was a little strange, as I was the only person in the office with two ladies at the front desk, but I guess I did not rate as highly as the phone or whatever else they were doing. When she asked how she could help me, I was mid-sentence into “Checking in…” when she wandered away and asked the other lady where her credit card forms were. Then she got on the phone and took some more reservations while I stood confused as to what had just happened. Strange enough, but I’m a fairly optimistic person (glutton for punishment?) and am definitely not one to complain, so I just stood and waited patiently. Maybe this was my sign that I should have moved on and forewent the reservations.

We were modestly surprised to see that the room (a Junior Suite) was decent… it seemed clean enough, though old, and quite spacious. I was confused to see the queen bed literally up against the door, especially in a suite. You had to enter and exit very carefully, one person at a time, as there was only enough room between the bed and the doorway to swing the door open. Seems like in a suite, they would place the bed as far into the room and away from the noise of the parking lot as possible. But I digress.

The room had a small kitchen, which was wonderful for cleaning and cooking our clams. I wouldn’t say that anything was too sanitary, but we were just boiling water and it served our needs just fine.

The bed, however, had the structural integrity of a trampoline. The slightest shift in position or a full exhale would send my husband and me on a collision course for the deepest pocket in the center of the mattress. That definitely did not contribute to a full night of sleep. Add that to the fact that the bed was up against the wall facing the parking lot and it was loud, disruptive, and definitely not restful.

We went to visit the free breakfast bar the next morning. It was jam packed, chaotic, and quite unappetizing, but we were hungry so we stuck around to give it a chance. It was in a tiny hallway and had NO room for anyone to maneuver with plates of food; all while being watched like a hawk by the ladies at the desk. This was fairly understandable, since it was literally overrun with wild, unattended kids. Of course, the only “problem child” was apparently my husband, who was yelled at for not using the disgustingly sticky and dirty tongs to pick up a stale Danish. Gross. We ended up going to McDonald's for an upgraded breakfast – never thought I would say that, but it was definitely a step up. So much for a free breakfast.

The next afternoon we attempted a nap due to a restless night of not much sleep. At the same time, a family reunion arrived at the rooms overhead. They were coming in and out constantly over the course of an hour, which is totally acceptable… what wasn’t okay, though, was that our ceiling cracked and popped alarmingly with every step that was taken upstairs. Forget the nap – it sounded like fireworks on the 4th of July.

Side note, the maid never arrived on Saturday. We thought that was a little bizarre, but we kept our room tidy enough on our own. Still, I wonder how much she got paid to not do her job?

That night, the party really got started upstairs. I didn’t see the family, but either they had pet elephants or really got a kick out of stomping up and down, all around their room. Seriously, who does THAT much pacing in a hotel room? The stomping, cracking, and popping of the ceiling continued until well into the wee hours (at least 2am), combined with intervals of children screaming and running up and down the stairs that were right outside of our door (and consequently, right next to our bed). Added to the disturbing sounds was the fact that we could hear EVERYTHING that took place in the upstairs bathroom. Positively disgusting. Sleep eluded us the second night, too.

We thought perhaps that we had overreacted to the breakfast situation the day before, so we gave it a try again. Two steps into the room and we realized that our memories were in fact correct. We walked right back out without getting any food and drove (again) to McDonald's.

For checkout, I stumbled into the office bleary-eyed and frazzled. There were a few people that looked to be in a similar state of sleep deprivation. I commented to the lady upon checkout that it was awfully loud all night long. With a huge grin, she responded, “Yes, I know! We got a lot of complaints from your wing… there was a family that rented the entire 2nd floor. Some people can be so inconsiderate, can’t they??” I was totally dumbfounded. How could you not have done anything to address so many complaints? I let her know that we would not be returning, but I guess that our continued patronage was not important enough to make a difference. Shame, really, but that’s how it goes. We’ll be looking at a cottage rental up the coast for our next trip to the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cascade29
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I did a lot of research on prices and fun activities close to the beach, before deciding to stay at Sands Resort at Ocean Shores. The price was great for myself and my four children to stay for two days. After our long drive, we arrived early, but to our surprise, we were allowed into our room, anyways. We had already seen the pictures of what we were walking into and my children and I laughed, knowing that an imperfect place is usually the funnest.(referring to the 70's look) Our room was clean and safe. There was no evidence of mold, bedbugs or anything of the sort that you might worry about.
There was a clean pool, and private hot tub rooms.These were very nice to have to ourselves for the 20 minutes allowed. The game room upstairs of the lobby was so much fun for us. Card games, board games, pool, and the hours were perfect! Everyone there was super friendly and very helpful at all times. The continental breakfast was loaded with great things to eat.
We were a short walking distance from the beach. Outside our window was a beautiful picnic area, partially covered and we enjoyed sitting out there, listening to the water. We had no vandalism problems and there was no noise to complain about.
We were located perfectly close to all the fun activities around town. I would normally def stay here again, but a few days ago, I read a review that stated there were bedbugs there now! I hope they are able to solve this problem and stop the spreading of these nasty bugs. Until I am assured they are gone, or proved there are none, I will not return. It is too risky. This is a huge bummer, as it's almost Summer and we were ready to be on our way there. Wah.... :(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family