The Sands Resort
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$179
BestWestern.com
Comfort Inn and Suites(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$158
Quinault Sweet Grass Hotel(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$77
Grey Gull(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$130
Quality Inn - Ocean Shores(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$88
Canterbury Inn(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$95
Shilo Inns Ocean Shores(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$129
MorningGlory Hotel, Resort & Suites(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$75
US$105
US$100
Travelocity
Polynesian Resort(Ocean Shores)(Great Value!)
US$159
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed at the Sands Resort during a razor clamming weekend in February. It was the last available pet-friendly room in all of Ocean Shores, so we took what we could get. Turns out, we won’t be going back.

We arrived at the motel with neutral expectations, having read a variety of reviews and understanding that the Ocean Shores area in general is pretty run down. Check-in was a little strange, as I was the only person in the office with two ladies at the front desk, but I guess I did not rate as highly as the phone or whatever else they were doing. When she asked how she could help me, I was mid-sentence into “Checking in…” when she wandered away and asked the other lady where her credit card forms were. Then she got on the phone and took some more reservations while I stood confused as to what had just happened. Strange enough, but I’m a fairly optimistic person (glutton for punishment?) and am definitely not one to complain, so I just stood and waited patiently. Maybe this was my sign that I should have moved on and forewent the reservations.

We were modestly surprised to see that the room (a Junior Suite) was decent… it seemed clean enough, though old, and quite spacious. I was confused to see the queen bed literally up against the door, especially in a suite. You had to enter and exit very carefully, one person at a time, as there was only enough room between the bed and the doorway to swing the door open. Seems like in a suite, they would place the bed as far into the room and away from the noise of the parking lot as possible. But I digress.

The room had a small kitchen, which was wonderful for cleaning and cooking our clams. I wouldn’t say that anything was too sanitary, but we were just boiling water and it served our needs just fine.

The bed, however, had the structural integrity of a trampoline. The slightest shift in position or a full exhale would send my husband and me on a collision course for the deepest pocket in the center of the mattress. That definitely did not contribute to a full night of sleep. Add that to the fact that the bed was up against the wall facing the parking lot and it was loud, disruptive, and definitely not restful.

We went to visit the free breakfast bar the next morning. It was jam packed, chaotic, and quite unappetizing, but we were hungry so we stuck around to give it a chance. It was in a tiny hallway and had NO room for anyone to maneuver with plates of food; all while being watched like a hawk by the ladies at the desk. This was fairly understandable, since it was literally overrun with wild, unattended kids. Of course, the only “problem child” was apparently my husband, who was yelled at for not using the disgustingly sticky and dirty tongs to pick up a stale Danish. Gross. We ended up going to McDonald's for an upgraded breakfast – never thought I would say that, but it was definitely a step up. So much for a free breakfast.

The next afternoon we attempted a nap due to a restless night of not much sleep. At the same time, a family reunion arrived at the rooms overhead. They were coming in and out constantly over the course of an hour, which is totally acceptable… what wasn’t okay, though, was that our ceiling cracked and popped alarmingly with every step that was taken upstairs. Forget the nap – it sounded like fireworks on the 4th of July.

Side note, the maid never arrived on Saturday. We thought that was a little bizarre, but we kept our room tidy enough on our own. Still, I wonder how much she got paid to not do her job?

That night, the party really got started upstairs. I didn’t see the family, but either they had pet elephants or really got a kick out of stomping up and down, all around their room. Seriously, who does THAT much pacing in a hotel room? The stomping, cracking, and popping of the ceiling continued until well into the wee hours (at least 2am), combined with intervals of children screaming and running up and down the stairs that were right outside of our door (and consequently, right next to our bed). Added to the disturbing sounds was the fact that we could hear EVERYTHING that took place in the upstairs bathroom. Positively disgusting. Sleep eluded us the second night, too.

We thought perhaps that we had overreacted to the breakfast situation the day before, so we gave it a try again. Two steps into the room and we realized that our memories were in fact correct. We walked right back out without getting any food and drove (again) to McDonald's.

For checkout, I stumbled into the office bleary-eyed and frazzled. There were a few people that looked to be in a similar state of sleep deprivation. I commented to the lady upon checkout that it was awfully loud all night long. With a huge grin, she responded, “Yes, I know! We got a lot of complaints from your wing… there was a family that rented the entire 2nd floor. Some people can be so inconsiderate, can’t they??” I was totally dumbfounded. How could you not have done anything to address so many complaints? I let her know that we would not be returning, but I guess that our continued patronage was not important enough to make a difference. Shame, really, but that’s how it goes. We’ll be looking at a cottage rental up the coast for our next trip to the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cascade29
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I did a lot of research on prices and fun activities close to the beach, before deciding to stay at Sands Resort at Ocean Shores. The price was great for myself and my four children to stay for two days. After our long drive, we arrived early, but to our surprise, we were allowed into our room, anyways. We had already seen the pictures of what we were walking into and my children and I laughed, knowing that an imperfect place is usually the funnest.(referring to the 70's look) Our room was clean and safe. There was no evidence of mold, bedbugs or anything of the sort that you might worry about.
There was a clean pool, and private hot tub rooms.These were very nice to have to ourselves for the 20 minutes allowed. The game room upstairs of the lobby was so much fun for us. Card games, board games, pool, and the hours were perfect! Everyone there was super friendly and very helpful at all times. The continental breakfast was loaded with great things to eat.
We were a short walking distance from the beach. Outside our window was a beautiful picnic area, partially covered and we enjoyed sitting out there, listening to the water. We had no vandalism problems and there was no noise to complain about.
We were located perfectly close to all the fun activities around town. I would normally def stay here again, but a few days ago, I read a review that stated there were bedbugs there now! I hope they are able to solve this problem and stop the spreading of these nasty bugs. Until I am assured they are gone, or proved there are none, I will not return. It is too risky. This is a huge bummer, as it's almost Summer and we were ready to be on our way there. Wah.... :(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FamilyFunOceanSun
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Yes, the hotel was cheaper than any other on the strip. After our night there we feel "you get what you pay for". We arrived, paid our $53 and dropped our bags to change into our suits (did I mention we had a 6 year old with us?). The room was FREEZING! I turned the heat up and the bathroom heat light on. We crossed the parking lot to the pool. It was DISGUSTING. I didn't realize the depth of ick until it was too late. If I'd have noted the TOTALLY DIFFERENT COLORED WATER IN THE CONNECTED HOT TUB, we would have checked out and gone to the Quality Inn. The truely icky part was the two 'private' jacuzzis. Two doors at the end of the pool were locked entrances to jacuzzis. Our child was taking one last lap when some guy walked in and entered one.....we were outta there. The room was remodled, warm when we got back to it and the window opened (which is a plus for me) but there was a hair in my bed, though the sheets were clean. It's a pet friendly hotel so there were barks throughout the night. NEVER AGAIN! Sorry Sands, but you lost our business. My opinion is that they take care of the pool in the summer when they have the $. Otherwise they NEVER do which is completely unthinkable. How do you stay in business with a pool that grose? Doesn't someone regulate that kind of thing? shudder

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank caringcustomer
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I didn't do my due diligence when making plans for this trip. The Sands promised a fireplace in our room. It was a lightbulb behind a picture of a fire. We stayed at the Sands because they advertised a pool. It was so scummy we were grossed out. The worst part was that the room smelled just awful and soon our clothing smelled awful and then our car smelled awful from our being in it. We had to wash everything when we got home including our coats. The parking lot lights were so bright that it made sleep difficult. The separate bedroom had only 3 walls, so not so separate. I just today found out that they had bed bugs in October 2010.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bothellbelle
Reviewed 21 December 2010

You just can't beat the price & location of the Sands. We've stayed here many times in the past 3-4 years and its starting to feel like home. From our experiences here, they treat their repeat customers as family. We discover something new about the resort on each trip.

The motel is older and the weather has beat up the outside of the buildings a bit, but the rooms are remodeled and clean, and very spacious. (At least the king kitchenette's are!) We bring a lot of stuff from home, including our bedding & pillows, but not because of anything wrong with theirs. We also brought our dvd and some movies on this trip knowing the weather wasn't going to cooperate with a lot of outdoor activities.

The kitchenette rooms are great, mini fridge, 4-burner stove & oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot... everything you need. In fact, the last trip we "holed up" in the room for a lot of the time and didn't even request maid service. Very relaxing.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple