All reviews chinook pass gas station the river window seat cottage
Reviewed 15 December 2016

The restaurant food was so so, I had the Hot Turkey Sandwich. The setting was great right next to river, with river access. A lot of old collections inside diner. Staff was friendly. Did not stay in the cabins, just passing thru.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

We recently drove to Mt. Rainier to view the beautiful fall colors and had lunch at Whistlin Jack Lodge. We were seated at a nice corner table with two windows which had a beautiful view of the Naches River and colorful fall landscape. We all enjoyed the special which was too large prime rib BBQ beef sandwiches each, and a generous portion of JoJo's. They make their own BBQ sauce which was excellent. Our server, Crissy, was very attentive and courteous. I asked her about the negative reviews I had read and she explained the chef who had been there for 27 years retired and several new chefs have come and gone. However, she said the chef they have now is doing a great job. We agree with Crissy. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

We have stopped at the restaurant of Whistling Jacks several times over the past few years and enjoyed the food and the descriptive menu. However, our last visit was very disappointing, and we won't be going back.

The chef must have left and taken his recipes with him. The fish sandwich went from "Alaskan cod filet on an artisan roll, with melted Guyer cheese, etc." to fish on a bun. And it was over cooked.

The other people in our party did not have better luck with their choices than I did.

The hostess gave some of us blank menus, and others got the Christmas menu. She did exchange them for current menus, but then gave the same incorrect menus to the next patrons that entered.

Our waitress did try very hard to take care of us, and the setting is still beautiful, just don't eat there.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Jill H
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Nothing has changed at Whistlin' Jacks in the 30 years I've been visiting. Its exactly as I remember it as a kid. Dont expect a lot, and you wont be disappointed. Location is amazing if you want to explore Chinook Pass. We didnt enjoy dinner at the lodge, however breakfast was exactly as expected. This place is classic PacNW, cozy and fun. Our group had a bungalow (Sunnyside) and a lodge room (#7), the couple in the lodge room really enjoyed their room, and the cool breeze from the open window. Sunnyside was less pleasant, stuff without air conditioning and limited ability to open the window for air. Bungalows come with private hot tubs, we didnt partake. At $140 for the lodge and $220 for the bungalow, Whistlin' Jacks a bit expensive - but they are the only game in town. Yakima is 45 minutes away.

Room Tip: Upper floor lodge rooms
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Biztravler
Reviewed 15 August 2016

My husband took me here this past weekend and we really enjoyed our stay.
From the start the staff were helpful and pleasant, check-in was a breeze (you get a real room key, like back in the day). The rooms don't have TV, or phones, but truly I'm not there to watch TV and if I needed to use my phone I could go to the lodge, sit and relax and utilize the free WIFI.
We had great customer service and our food was delicious. It takes awhile to get your food, but its all homemade and was very good. Full dinner menu in the bar, the crab/artichoke sandwich is really good!
When I read some of the past reviews I was a bit surprised. Did you expect you were going to be staying at a 5 star hotel? This is a lodge and I felt they are keeping it true to the lodge feel with the appropriate décor and atmosphere. The view beats any resort, hotel, or motel with-in the state, you are right on the river!! Open the window and let the river sing you to sleep. The decor reminded my husband of his grandparents home, made us feel comfortable. I will agree the towels were a bit small but you get plenty, so use a few, big deal.
We also enjoyed music in the lounge in the evening. The lounge was very fun the crowd was a wide mix of ages and "styles". Two groups were there for anniversaries, one for a memorial of a friend brother, another group for a birthday. The atmosphere was great with a lot of conversations between the groups. The bartender was very busy and took great care of all of the patrons.
Sunday breakfast was awesome. I had an omelets, probably the best I have ever had! My husband had the trout and the server filleted/boned at our table (she did an excellent job).
We will be back, maybe in the fall to see the color of the trees change and watch the salmon run up the river!!

Room Tip: Great Lodge, with Great views!!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple