“Lovely Lunch in Mulkiteo”
Review of Kostas Restaurant

Kostas Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 72 Restaurants in Mukilteo
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2018

My friend and I went here for lunch after a Boeing tour - about 3 minutes from Boeing.
We had a very good experience.
Staff was friendly and efficient. We had just the right amount of time to peruse the menu. Our questions about certain dishes were answered with the ease that only someone who knows their menu well can provide.
My friend had the Spanakopita and Tyropita Combination declared it delicious. My Gyro Combo was also delicious.
Tables and booths were comfortable and everything was very clean and in good order.
I have already recommended it to family in the Seattle area and would definitely go there again if given the chance.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

AWFUL! I am actually angry about this order. For the price I was expecting high quality food, what we got was worse than fast food quality! I would rather eat McDonalds!
Please save your money and avoid this place. You will be massively disappointed.
We ordered spaghetti for $17 and a salad for $17. For $17 on a salad I expect something exceptional. We didn’t even get the ingredients listed on the menu for the Italian salad. It had two chunks of tomato, 3 slices of cucumber, some olives and 2 chunks of hard flavorless MELON (yes that’s right, melon) and 3 slices of strawberry.... ?!?!? Just 0 effort to even give us what we ordered, let alone a salad worth $17.

The chocolate mousse cake we got was basically cool whip with chocolate powder and seemed like it had been made and frozen months ago :( so gross. It was granular and chalky. We threw it out.
The spaghetti noodles were stale and had a 10:1 noodle to sauce ratio.

Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Nothing really special about this place. I was very excited to see a Greek restaurant in our new town, but it was very underwhelming and way too Americanized.

1  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Love this place, a hands on owner and chef, a varied Mediterranean menu, fresh ingredients, and cordial service. Lunch favorite is the Pork Souvlaki...gets messy but delicious! Salads, all the Greek dishes and pizza are very well done... had the gyro dinner plate on most recent visit and was not disappointed.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Before I start, let me say that I do not complain much. Read my other reviews--several are positive and some glowing.

On a late evening,, we were headed for home when we passed an old favorite, Kosta's on the Mukilteo Speedway. I hadn't eaten there in several years, but had remembered it fondly. In addition, I used to be a frequent customer of his old Lynnwood restaurant Kostalee's, and it's successors, A.P. Barbara's and Barlee's (owned by his former business partner), so on a whim, we decided to stop there.

The prices were shockingly high for casual Greek-Italian, pastas in the $25 range, pizzas (10") in the $15 range. I don't remember them being that high previously. They are about $5 higher than similar places I have eaten at. We each decided to go with pizzas, she getting the New Orleans (a seafood pizza) and me getting the Marie's Favorite (a gyro and feta pizza).

While the service was excellent, the pizzas were very slow to be made, about 25 minutes, despite the restaurant only having a couple customers. The waitress, sensing we had been waiting too long perhaps, even came out to tell us they were coming right up.

When they came out they were piping hot. We each bit into our slices and noticed the same thing--the crusts were nearly inedible. She described them as "hard tack", a rather fitting description. They had no airiness to them at all--they were just hard and dense as if the dough was unleavened. The flavor of her pizza was pretty good (she offered me a taste), while mine had no flavor or texture. It did not even look appetizing. I added salt and pepper (probably a first for me) and parmesan to try to extract some flavor, but no, it was overwhelmingly bland.

The waitress came over to check on us, seeing she was scraping the toppings off the crust and eating them with a fork and I had hardly touched mine, and asked our opinions. We informed her--the crusts tasted like they were frozen and defrosted and my pizza was completely devoid of flavor. She immediately said she would send the chef to talk with us.

He came over and we explained our opinions. He immediately told me to come with him into the kitchen, where he opened his cooler to show me "There are no frozen crusts in there." I saw an empty pan--nothing in it at all. I said I wasn't accusing him of that and would be surprised if a place like that would, but that I felt the crust was inedible and the pizza bland. He stated, multiple times, "You obviously don't like Greek food. You don't like gyro meat or feta." I told him I actually loved them and had eaten here before, though not in awhile. He again stated I must not like gyros and feta, and asked if I wanted something else--a pasta perhaps. He did not offer me a menu to look at. I told him, no, I actually love gyros and feta and so I wanted the gyros sampler.

It consisted of four slices of gyro meat, pita slices, kalamata olives, hummus, tzatziki sauce, and garnishes surrounding a large block of feta. The meat was decent, though I have had far better, the feta was excellent,, and the rest was as expected.

They would not take back the pizza, though we were not charged for it. We were charged full price for her pizza, my sampler, and drinks. The waitress brought over a coupon for $9.00 off our next meal, but explained that is a standard practice they are doing for everyone right now--a discount equal to 20% off what you spent today. It was not a comp for the meal, and I had seen a sign advertising that when I first came in. We left a generous tip (the waitress was fantastic) and figured we would never use the coupon (she wanted to leave it with the check).

3  Thank eauhomme

Been to Kostas Restaurant? Share your experiences!