“Such a pleasant surprise!”
Review of MarketPlace Grille

MarketPlace Grille
Ranked #11 of 118 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 3 June 2015

My partner and I stopped in Gig Harbor on our way back from a driving trip to have some lunch. The idea was to go to Anthony's, a tried and true establishment. Alas, Anthony's wasn't open for lunch. Alas?? Really, How lucky could we be? Just down the block was the unassuming-looking little restaurant called the Marketplace Grill. Thank heavens we went in and tried it out.

The lovely Carlene greeted us and seated us at a table overlooking the harbor. The experience was instantly elevated just by her beautiful smile and lilting Trinidadian accent. What a sweetheart! Her husband Richard, we learned, was the chef and would be making to-order whatever we chose. The only thing prepared in advance was chowder, which my partner and I decided to share a "cup" of while we waited for our entrees. It was very different from the normal white looking potato soup with a few clams thrown on, and very good! I ordered peppered spot prawn salad, and my guy had a turkey and cheese grilled sandwich with fries. While his was very good, he said, both of us agreed that my salad was a very special treat, indeed. The dressing was a combination of coconut lime sauce that you could mix with a slightly sweet and herbed sauce. Along with the perfectly cooked spot prawns, the salad had butter lettuce, beautiful avocado wedges, sliced strawberries, raspberries, grapes and mandarin orange segments. None of it was overdone, but all applied with a light hand that showed chef Richard's gifts in the kitchen. Fabulous!

Carlene tells us that soon there will be remodeling and rebranding coming. I look forward to seeing this next phase of their business plan. The restaurant is spare and friendly, which makes the food and hospitality shine through even more. But a bit of sprucing up would do this lovely couple proud, and perhaps lure in some if those customers who look for creature comforts before sampling the food. Silly folks. :-)

Thank you, Carlene and Richard for the wonderful experience and exceptional food! We'll see you soon, that's for sure (even if Anthony's is open.)

Reviewed 29 May 2015

Our meals were prepared from scratch and were delicious. The broiled halibut was served with rice and steamed vegetables seasoned with 'jerk' spices at my request. Similarly the fish and chips was also changed to fish and veggies. The proprietors were very flexible with adjusting any entree' to satisfy our dining pleasure and did so without added charges.

The current owners purchased the business in 2008; they worked there for 7 years before buying it. At the end of summer 2015, they are planning to rename the restaurant.

Reviewed 4 May 2015

So here's you're dilemma.....it's Saturday night....finally it's beautiful in the Northwest and you're looking to take in the sights with dinner on the water...that probably means a seafood restaurant but you're oh so tired of fish and chips, salmon bowls, and the thought of tempura makes you cringe. Don't despair! The seafood at the Marketplace breaks the mold and is an excellent change from the usual Northwest flavors. Think Louisiana and Caribbean spices combined with fresh fish in quantities that will leave you with more than enough for another meal tomorrow. As you walk into the restaurant, you'll pass by the kitchen and the decadent smells will prepare you for the feast you're about to enjoy. Oh, and the views...situated right on the harbor, you'll get to enjoy all that Gig Harbor has to offer with a stunning kaleidoscope of color draping Mt. Rainer as the sun sets. Make sure to get there early as the seating is limited. Finally, I highly recommend the paella and chowder...I'm getting hungry just writing this review.

Reviewed 30 April 2015

Snuck in while the family was renting a boat. Wonderful food and atmosphere. Will definitely visit when we go back.

Reviewed 23 April 2015 via mobile

While our server was pleasant, this restaurant desperately needs help. Salmon was over cooked, sandwich was dry and service was slow. Background noise and cleanliness of establishment left much to be desired. I hope this review will help the owner make necessary changes.