“Underwhelming BBQ ”

Kum Kang San
Ranked #77 of 246 Restaurants in Federal Way
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

I continue to look for a really good Korean BBQ place in Seattle. I am not sure why it is so hard to find, but outside of Vancouver or LA I just can't find it. This place has good reviews on Yelp and trip advisor but the quality of the meat, side dishes, sauces, was just underwhelming. It is not cheap either. I'm ok with the price if the food is good. I will not be back

1  Thank SeattleDoc2010

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We've been going back and forth from Kum Kang San and Korean Palace but we decided to stick with this restaurant. First is the place is well lit and have ample space to move around compared with Korean palace that feels so crowded because of table arrangement. 2nd you don't have to wait once you want another round of meat, and last is the price, their price is pretty reasonable considering they only increased once in 8 years. I love their desserts!

Reviewed 20 February 2016

Ventured down here for a friends birthday, I wouldn't normally drive to Federal Way from Seattle but good Korean BBQ isn't easily found. They give you a 2hr time limit (before charging again) but that is ample time to consume sinful amounts of excellent fare. I barely touched the prepared foods section and mostly used my inner Texan to devour as much meat as possible, and all of it was fantastic! The spicy pork was maybe my favorite but there are so many great options there. They offer sushi too but it looked like basic rolls one could buy in a grocery store so I didn't try them. Their soup was really good and they have this guava cake that, even though I was sickeningly full, I went back to have 4 pieces (they're small don't judge me). At $20 a head I considered this a fantastic value and a great place for friends and family. The servers hover a bit but it's mostly to make sure you're cooking the food right. I highly recommend, but be aware, it is super hidden from the street and once your GPS says turn, you've already passed it.

Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

This is the only Korean BBQ buffet that I'm aware of. If anyone knows of another establishment that offers an all you can eat, self-serve Korean BBQ in the Pacific Northwest, please let me know.

What I enjoy the most is that you can pick and choose what you want to eat. You're not limited to just one or two meat options. The buffet has a variety of meats, some seafood options and quite a few ban-chan dishes. You can get a lot of what you like and a little bit of something you just want to try.

During my most recent visit they had:

Meats - marinated beef short ribs, thin slices of fresh beef (not sure what cut), pork belly, spicy pork, teriyaki chicken, spicy chicken, chicken gizzards, intestine, shrimp and spicy squid.

Side dishes - salad (they have tasty mayo based salad dressing), potato salad, fish cake, napa cabbage kimchi, lotus root, glazed sweet potato, cold noodles and a few others.

They also have soups and a few hot dishes located on the far back buffet table. Towards the front, they have a fruit and dessert bar which includes honeydew, peach and pineapple slices (canned), oranges, red grapes, jello, chocolate and strawberry cake.

*Please note selections change frequently.

The prices are fair. We paid about $20 per adult, $11 for my 7 year old and $4 for my 3 year old.

I noticed a sign on the wall, which made me smile. The sign said something along the lines of "if your children are unruly, management may ask you to leave". So basically if you have naughty children that can't be controlled, this may not be the place to bring them for dinner. I personally wouldn't want to dine at a restaurant where children are disruptive.

One last thing to note, they have a two hour limit. If you go over they will charge you. Happy eating!!

Reviewed 18 November 2015

This is a Korean BBQ/buffet place. The prepared foods on the steaming tables didn't stay warm or weren't very warm to begin with. It was our first time at a cook-your-own meat place and the staff didn't speak enough English to really help us much, so we fumbled our way through. Salad bar was meh. Desserts were mainly fruit with a couple of small pastry bite things (which were very good). A big price ($20/person) for smallish number of choices.