“New Spud”
Review of Spud Fish & Chips

Spud Fish & Chips
Ranked #4 of 4 Quick Bites in Edmonds
Reviewed 13 November 2015 via mobile

Having been a long time West Seattle resident and Alki Spud customer I looked forward to dinner at the new Edmonds Spud. The Staff was very friendly and the fish and chips were good but much thinner than Alki Spud. I was shocked that we were not provided anyTarter Sauce without an extra charge. That left me with a negative feeling. I will stick with Alki Spud. I have never visited a restaurant that did not offer one free Tarter Sauce with fish and chips.

Date of visit: November 2015

Reviewed 18 October 2015

Completely over priced, the food and the service was terrible! I wont go back...too bad that this place is not equal to the other great places that have opened up around it. The Art Museum, Scratch Distillery and the new Beer place are all really great!

Date of visit: October 2015
Peter K, Manager at Spud Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

Hey there,

We apologize for your negative experience. If you have constructive feedback to share with us to help us improve, we would welcome it.

Reviewed 2 October 2015

The recently opened restaurant is part of a local fish-and-chips chain. Occupying the space of a previous restaurant, with a complete remodel, you now have a fast-food establishment consisting of an open kitchen and a variety of utilitarian seating ranging from low tables along the windows to high tables along the walls, and a center row of small tables with stools.

It’s fast food so you order at one end of the long service counter and pick up your piping hot food at the other. I had the salmon with fries and my wife had the calamari with a small side order of fries. While the salmon was good, we both thought the thinly sliced calamari rings were heavily breaded and, with the deep-frying, lost its natural flavor. The apparently fresh cut fries were very good. All portions were average size.

Everything is made to order by one cook working four fry baskets. Our food came up relatively quickly since no one else was in line when we had placed our order. That may not have been the case if we had come in at a peak time. I don’t consider this to be a destination restaurant and, with its location across from the Edmonds ferry, bus terminal and train station, and service-only atmosphere, feel the majority of their customers will be foot traffic from the waiting commuters. We live in the area and wanted to give it a try. No need for us to return.

Date of visit: October 2015

Hey there,

Thank you very much for the kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to visit us, and for the feedback on the calamari. We always take time to carefully consider what customers take the time to write us, and will evaluate the recipe. Hope to see you again if you decide to stop in!

Reviewed 29 September 2015

Largest sitdown and new of this franchise---spacious and convenient to Ferry Terminal, Amtrak, Sounder, and downtown Edmonds, and Best Western Plus. Located in new market plaza called Salish Marketplace, with lots of parking west of the Ferry Terminal parking---eat in or take out---no beer and wine---Cod, shrimp, clams,oysters, deep fried the Spud way with or without chips, chowder, etc....Tarter and Catsup also....Really bright with lots of windows and seating.

Parks and picnic tables nearby and along the beach---do not feed the Gulls and leave your trash in the cans, not on the beach.....

Six Cod only/no chips with two tarters and a tip came to $33///Large fillets

Date of visit: September 2015

Hey there!

Thank you for the nice review, we appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 September 2015

I used to eat often at the Spud shop at Green Lake in Seattle. It used to be great fish and chips. I went to the new Edmonds location last night and was disappointed. The fish was so thin that there was more breading than fish. I could not taste the fish for all of the salt in the breading. The chips were mediocre. On top of that, when I asked for a water cup, the cashier, who handles money--which is filthy--picked up a cup and grasped the rim and inside of it to hand to me. We went through several cups before he understood that what he was doing was a health code violation and that he needed to pick up a cup by the outside of it. Spud has been in business for far too many years to be allowing something like that to happen. I won't waste my time or money going back. Spud will just remain a fond memory from earlier times.

Date of visit: September 2015
7  Thank Carol_R99SO

Hey there,

We are disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience with us. A new restaurant and a whole team of new employees is difficult to manage at first, but feedback from customer like you help us to improve. Thank you for taking the time to share, and we hope perhaps you will consider visiting us again some day.