“absolutely amazing”

Orcas Island Whale Watching
Ranked #2 of 9 Tours in Eastsound
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 30 and 12 Passenger Orca Whale and Wildlife Trips. Our Small Fast Boats get you up-close and personal with the region's famous Orca Whales! We see whales on about 97% of our tours! Join us for a group trip or you can customize your own private charter and add fishing, kayaking, island hopping, and more.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I have been going to the San Juans for several years and seen the occassional whale so it was a real privelege to go out on the Outer Island Expedition and be surrounded by a pod of whales along with a baby whale. Our guide was also very informative about the whales and the islands in the vacinity, thanks so much for a great experience

1  Thank mary y

Reviewed 10 September 2011

recently went on vacation, so I didn't want to start my day at 6am for our all day kayak trip to one of the most spectacular places in the NW, Sucia Island. In my opinion, the folks at OIE cater to the island life/a vacationers dream....start at 9am and get back by 4pm. Our trip to Sucia began by boarding a motor craft and while cruising on a sunny day, our captain gave us an historical description of the geography around the islands, it's wildlife and some insights to the prehistoric development of the islands themselves. We quickly arrived at the island through a small inlet brimming with beautiful surroundings....shared by a few other boaters that I'm sure were having the same sentiments about this beautiful place. We then walked to a beach area where we picked up our kayaks and gear. Our guide gave us a humorous safety briefing and we then got into our kayaks and the group of 7 boats paddled off to the west side of the island, passing from one cove to another, through narrow inlets to large open bays. We came upon a few seals, some blue cranes, small black birds with red becks and even caught sight of a passing eagle flying by. After cruising along for an hour taking in all the beautiful scenery, our guide took us to a secluded beach area. There some of the group went swimming and others of us took a hike up a mountain trail to bluffs over looking the Puget sound, with spectacular views of Mt Baker and the Canadian Rockies in the distance. After enjoying some lunch, we were almost sad to leave this idyllic setting, but smooth water in the distance drew us back to our kayaks. After leaving the beach and with clear sky's and calm seas ahead, we just wanted the day to last forever. We quickly rounded the north side of the island where the open water was crystal clear and we all felt that we just wanted to paddle harder and longer, while enjoying the smell of sea air and a cool breeze in our face. After what seemed like another hour of cheerful conversations on the water, we arrived back to our starting place, a beautiful cove with a sandy shore to extract ourselves from our little floating yachts (ok, so they were kayaks, but ever so comfortable and graceful on the water). We were now leaving this island paradise, but with many lasting memories as we once again were transported over to Orcas via a motor craft to enjoy another peaceful night.
If you haven't taken this trip, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR....IT'S GREAT FUN and the people at Outer Island Expeditions were fabulous and made our trip most enjoyable.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

I work for the Conservation Lands Foundation and recently we hosted a trip to Patos Island to introduce and educate local residents on the mission of our organization and to thank them for working hard to help protect the San Juan Islands; we hired OIE to charter our trip of 40 people to Patos Island. The trip was intended to be just for transportation, but when we encountered some transient whales-the boat captains were happy to stop and let us enjoy! What a great surprise to an already picture perfect day. Beau, the owner met us at Patos and was very hospitable. He helped set up lunch, which OIE provided, and allowed us to stay longer on the Island to explore. All of the boat captains: Beau, Matt, Troy and Paul were all very knowledgeable and provided interested insight about the lands and waters during the boat ride. I spent weeks working with Beau prior to the trip and it paid off. I had a lot of compliments from our guests about the trip and I could not have done it without the help of OIE! Thanks for a great trip!

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Oh we are ever so grateful for OIE, their hospitality and flexibility in picking us up on the mainland, bypassing the Orcas ferry xing on a busy Labor Day weekend. The shuttle was timely and helpful in loading gear, 2 kids & dog to get us to & from our gorgeous island camping destination. Thank you Troy for the fun ride over & back, highlighting other great spots for us to see at a future date. This is our second time using OIE and we will do so again in the future!

1  Thank jncampbell4
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I've been coming to the San Juans all my life, my relatives have lived here for generations so obviously I am biased that this is a beautiful place. But, I can't get enough of going out on the water and seeing the sights. And these guys are the ones to do it with. This is the third time I have been with them; two fishing trips and one whale watching trip. They are polite, knowledgeable and unflappable. Yesterday, I had my reel hopelessly fouled, my daughter was busy hooked on the bottom and Skipper Paul calmly unsnagged her line, untangled mine and watched me pull in my fish who was patiently waiting to be caught and released. They treat the undersea life with respect They know the birds, the fish, the local lore, the best fishing holes and are the perfect guides, taking your cue on what you want to do and see and when. They have great senses of humor which is a must in a guide. The fishing trips are perfect for kids. Last year I took my 82 year old mother on the whale trip and she had so much fun she was game for the fishing trip this year. Go for the crabs if you go fishing. Nothing beats sitting at the table cracking fresh Red Rocks and Dungeness with a cold beer and some cocktail sauce after a great day on the water.

1  Thank arhay