“I love the Cliff House and views but they have slipped a bit...”
Review of Cliff House - CLOSED

Cliff House
Price range: US$7 - US$40
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We will be CLOSING our doors at the end of 2016 to do some major renovations. The 31st will be our LAST DAY OPEN until further notice! Owned by the same family for 45 years. We strive to use only LOCAL ingredients as well as serve the farm to table standards !
Reviewed 14 September 2016

I have been going here for years and I really like the place and the views but is has slipped under new ownership. You are greeted by a torn sign that was partially removed leaving some behind. For a $10 glass of house red wine, the pour was small in my opinion! Bar tender was a bit lax and forgot our order. The place is not wheelchair friendly with the bathrooms in the basement. Plenty of street parking but this place is popular on nice weather evenings so plan ahead and get a reservation or arrive early. Only open for dinner. I hope they can get their act together soon.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank Explorer1904

Reviewed 7 September 2016

We loved the whiskey crab soup so much, we went back the next day for two bowls to go. I had the prawns and polenta cakes. Also really good. Pleasant atmosphere and good views from outside patio.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

The Cliff House overlooking Bellingham Bay is a delightful place. The quality of the food is excellent. I had the Scampi. My son & his wife had the big thick pork chop and the chicken. Each dish was beautifully presented and seasoned just right. The views of Bellingham Bay from our table were spectacular. They also have Happy Hour all day every Monday and Tuesday with a large selection of tempting items.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Took another couple there for dinner. The waiter was very enthusiastic about the halibut and local king salmon that he said were fresh and caught locally. Sounded great so we ordered both. Big mistake. They had been sitting around for so long they were a long way from fresh. My husband sent the halibut back as inedible. The salmon was a light pink, old and dry. I would have sent it back also but we were hosting and I did not want to make a fuss. King salmon should be bright red and moist. This was grey. The halibut was $30 and the salmon $28. It was clear why the waiter was so enthusiastic. He was trying to sell them before they had to be thrown out. We all felt the food was something we would have been embarrassed to serve in our homes. We also knew we had been ripped off and lied to. Avoid this place. Better places with much better food in Bellingham. Also had a small bowl of their much touted whiskey crab soup instead of the salad that accompanies the meal. Thought it had way too much flour and salt and wasn't very goog. They also added a $6 charge to the dinners that had the soup instead of salad. Really bad dining experience.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We have been going to this restaurant for over 30 years. Went back on a trip home and couldn't wait to go to The Cliff House again. Totally disappointed! It was hot, no AC and the wait staff has an attitude that was disgusting. Tables by the Windows fried in spite of a very poor attempt to block it. Food was ok....whiskey crab soup was good but the rest was nothing to shout about. On future trips home, we will go someplace else. Our friends who live there are also done. And the toilets are downstairs where you compete with the dishwashers for space on the stairs. Not friendly for disabled

Date of visit: August 2016
Jas B, Manager at Cliff House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2016

We apologize that your visit here was not as nostalgic as it has been in the past. We are working to make our food local and to use freshest ingredients that we can obtain. This building we work in is over 100 years old, therefore certain luxuries are a struggle to maintain. I also apologize for the attitude of our wait staff. I feel we have some amazing people working for us, and these few hot, busy days can really get to some people. We appreciate your taking time to review and hope to someday see you again.