All reviews window seat train noise bellingham bay view room bay window soaking tub provide ear plugs fish tacos gas fireplace hear trains beautiful view of the bay water view beautiful hotel pacific northwest san juan islands living room woods coffee
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We just celebrated another anniversary at the Chrysalis. The hotel is nice with a fantastic location overlooking the bay. We had a comfy king bed, great soaking tub and a fireplace. Parking is easy, service was friendly and the location is great. We didn't walk into Fairhaven because it was cold and raining. We had dinner and breakfast at Keenan's. Both meals were very good. I had a massage at the spa. And yes, there were trains... I used the ear plugs but they didn't really help me. I was able to fall back to sleep after the first two or three trains but the 5:30 one was too much. All in all, it was great and we look forward to celebrating next year!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tim1357, General Manager at The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2016

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. I am happy that you were able to enjoy all aspects of the Inn. Congratulations on your anniversary and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 13 September 2016

There is so much to discuss about an outing to the Chrysalis. The whole package, things Inside and Outside however really adds up to a great experience. So here goes.

Our recent early September stay was for two weekday nights. Around $240 per night. At the high end, to me, but we were very happy with the stay.

Our Room, the KING SUITE, is 5 Star plus. We loved it. Clean, comfortable, felt new enough to me. Big Jetted Tub. And... (ooo la la) ... an assortment of stuff to PUT IN the Tub that, uh, makes sharing the Tub even more fun! (Can you say BUBBLES?) There is even a candle!

We were Full View. Must have that. And the sitting (or sprawling out) area at the Window was used, a lot! Some pillows, a book, and looking out on the Bay, and the Pier. Very relaxing.

Ok, The TRAINS. Just be aware, and be ready. It is fun to watch them come and go by. Trains are fun. But Trains are loud! We DID wake up when the night trains came. (3 or 4), but went back to sleep. So 2 or 3 nights, its alright. If I was doing 6 or 7 nights I might WIG OUT, or try ear plugs.

The Outdoor deck for Happy Hour, dining is great! Service great. (The Happy Hour Fish Tacos may be some of the BEST we have ever had!) Great HH deal! Good local draft beer choices.

Then you have your outings. FAIRHAVEN, is an easy 5-6 minute walk, and has something for everyone. Plenty of good places to dart into for a draft beer when the wife heads into a gallery or shop.

The walk into DT Bellingham is about 45 minutes, but most of that is along the Trail, which goes through a park. If you up for a nice walk, this is great. And the REWARD! After 45 minutes you are within 5 minutes of at least 4, to 6 Brew Pubs! Be still my heart! (Number 1, must go. Boundary Bay. For the Beer AND the Food!)
Yes, we did cheat and UBER ride back.

Back at the Hotel... we bought the SPA SPECIAL, some Rub thing and Massage. Excellent service and ambiance and staff. Very Good Spa!

Bonus.. Hotel guests can use the STEAM ROOM in the SPA just because. And, it is a very good, large Steam room, with a nice Eucalyptus scent.

We are going back. For us, this is a great 2 night getaway from the Scrunched Up Traffic and Congestion Hell that is Seattle.

Room tip: You want the full view.
2  Thank mikebran

Hi Mike,

Wow! What a great review! Thank you very much. The King Suites are my favorite rooms also. Nice to see you were able to enjoy the spa and steam room. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

I've never stayed at a $400/night hotel before, but this was our wedding. The Chrysalis is fantastic overall, but poor for sleeping.

The good: our corner suite was amazing in the daytime. Huge, nice, comfortable, stunning views and lots of ways to enjoy them, nice bed and the dual shower heads was super fun when you have one cold and one hot shower running on your face. The food. Best breakfast in Bellingham and we've been all over.

The bad: For how happy we were after having just got married and for how impressed we were when we first walked in, it's really sad that we couldn't get a good night's sleep after spending $800+ for two nights. It's hard to believe, but instead of darkening curtains, they have privacy blinds with wide gaps that let in lots of light. Not only was the room brightly lit at sunrise (5:30AM in the summer), but we saw the headlights from every car entering the garage sweep across room! Yes, the trains (twice each night) were a bit bothersome, but that's easily remedied by ear plugs. Bring your own $0.50 ones rather than the cheap papery ones that they give out.

If you can afford it, as long as you bring a sleep mask or they address the light issue, we can't recommend Chrysalis enough. Despite the poor sleeping conditions, we did enjoy our stay because it was so fancy and nice.

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank A H

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the feedback. I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us. We want to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Please feel free to contact our front desk at any time and we will do our best to accommodate any request. I hope you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

My wife and I stayed at the Chrysalis Inn & Spa on July 8th and 9th. Over the years we have been very loyal clients of the inn staying over 20 nights since the inn was built. Over the years we have seen the Inn change from a quiet and quaint establishment to a less than restful and relaxing inn when there are weddings, birthdays and corporate gatherings monopolizing the only two common areas (living room and outdoor deck). While it may be just luck of the draw, events which have closed down these two areas seem to be very frequent during the summer and particularly on weekends.
We original starting visiting the inn due to its magnificent views of the harbor particularly from the outside deck which arguably is one of the best in Bellingham. To be denied any access to the best features of the inn I believe is inconsistent with the responsibilities of management which should be to ensure a relaxing and memorable stay for all guests.
Although we have been to the inn many times when there were events which closed off the common areas of the inn our stay on July 8th and 9th seemed to hit a nerve ending. The large gathering on July 8th seemed to max out the wait and bar staff who have multiple areas to serve including the bar area where we visited. Although the staff is always professional and thoughtful the expressions on their faces I believe told the story that they were working at warp speed which provided a less than restful time at the bar. Although we thought the night was less than relaxing it did not prepare us for the wedding on July 9th which closed off the two common areas of the inn. In addition to the limited access to the inn facilities the wedding included amplified music which necessitated us to leave the inn to get some quiet and upon our return to close our window until the music stopped at 10 pm.
As stated over the years we have been very loyal clients and love the boutique nature of the inn or perhaps the inn of old. Although I applaud management in seeking new ways of generating revenue and more importantly a way of creating employment opportunities for Bellingham I also believe that the responsibility of management should be to provide all of its paying guests not only access to all the limited common areas of the inn but also to ensure a stress free environment. The Chrysalis Inn & Spa we loved the Chrysalis Resort and Convention Centre not so much. Sadly to say after more than a decade we will not be returning to the inn and unfortunately our last images of a wonderful location is less than memorable.

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank Howarth2016
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

We loved every minute of our stay. It's our 20 year anniversary and they made us feel very special. My husband said it was a "killer hotel" (that means AWESOME)
We will never forget this hotel. Always love!!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank meganfoater

Hi Megan,

Happy Anniversary. We very much appreciate you spending your time with us and I am especially happy we made your time with us special. We look forward to seeing you again.